• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
Ok, I have a question. Hoping someone can help who knows a bit about this 3rd game.

I played a bit of Witcher 1, but found it way too linear and a bit clumsy to play.

I've also played about 10 hours of Witcher 2, and found it less linear than the first(although still felt restricted) but I found there was way too much dialogue to plough through. I appreciate there needs to be a strong story but I think it detracted heavily from the gameplay.

I understand Witcher 3 is open world so being a big MMO fan this really appeals to me. However I don't want to spend more time listening to dialogue than actually playing. Are there any signs this early on that it will be as dialogue heavy as the 2nd game?

Its unlikely there will be considerably less dialogue than Witcher 2 but no one can say for sure until they have played it, you would be better watching some game-play footage on YouTube to judge it for yourself.

Permabanned
Soldato
Ok, I have a question. Hoping someone can help who knows a bit about this 3rd game.

I played a bit of Witcher 1, but found it way too linear and a bit clumsy to play.

I've also played about 10 hours of Witcher 2, and found it less linear than the first(although still felt restricted) but I found there was way too much dialogue to plough through. I appreciate there needs to be a strong story but I think it detracted heavily from the gameplay.

I understand Witcher 3 is open world so being a big MMO fan this really appeals to me. However I don't want to spend more time listening to dialogue than actually playing. Are there any signs this early on that it will be as dialogue heavy as the 2nd game?

It's a quest/story driven RPG, so I would put money on yes, it will be pretty dialogue heavy.

Soldato

I actually found dialogues and decision-making to be the best part of the game;p I bet 3 is going to be dialogue-heavy as well, there's litte evidence to prove otherwise.

Soldato
CGI graphics is one thing but to have CGI quality in gameplay is a long way off although i'm sure nvidia could make a GPU that could handle it?. Some might find the video posted below a little unsettling?.

Tempted to get this but haven't played the first two. Will that matter?

Will it matter? No.

Will it make it a more enjoyable experience? Probably yes.

As far as I can tell from seeing one review just to get a good idea of how the game actually plays, there is a scene towards the beginning of the game where you are getting your beard shaved and it recaps the previous games story there; and you have to pick different options for big plot points for the previous games, as if you were carrying a save over.

Soldato
When will HBO/Netflix/whatever pick this world up for a series (i know a polish one exists, but i'm not polish...) :|
That would be amazing.

HBO would fit the theme well, it would need to be 18, not family friendly, no teens & utterly brutal. It could follow an x-files kind of theme (each episode one monster, or puzzle which requires solving) - violent combat, great actors.

Would be excellent. :D

Soldato
CGI graphics is one thing but to have CGI quality in gameplay is a long way off although i'm sure nvidia could make a GPU that could handle it?. Some might find the video posted below a little unsettling?.

We don't expect CGI in game graphics. Why do people keep posting this ****. The reason for the debate is that we expect the in game graphics to be on a par with the in game gameplay previously shown, of which it is clearly not!!! Be that is it may, it still looks stunning and I can't wait. :D

Edit: Apologies, I may have misunderstood your post, though my point still stands to others claiming we expected graphics like the old CGI trailers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Those who do feel they have been lied to etc, out of interest, are you still buying the game?

I mentioned it a few pages back but the only way to show your annoyance is by not supporting them if you arent happy with it, speak with you wallets etc.

i cant miss out on it at all, no way!

Just to answer your question: I think I'll probably skip it, at least for the time being. It's not because I want to show my annoyance to the developers by not supporting them or anything childish like that. It's only a game, doesn't matter whether I play it or not.

It's simply because I've been shown pretty gameplays that looked very complete(not those 2013 trailers but e.g. the swamp gameplay) and my brain sort of became hard-wired to think that's what we were going to get.

No matter how good the game is, I just don't feel like investing time into a world so visually unappealing (especially after sinking 50hrs of my life into GTA5, the last game to do that to me was Ryu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza 4 on good ol' PS3 when I played a lot more than nowadays;p). It's vast and varied and all but it seriously looks like I'm drugged up 24/7 and traversing cardboard forests with hyperactive trees on LSD. The animations are clunky as well, it feels like an indie game at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv0gJ8DpUd0 That's the last gameplay I've seen, apparently on Ultra. Even if you can enable HBAO+ and sharpening, they won't miraculously turn the game into what we saw a year ago. It looks so unbelievably bad at times it makes me cringe. From colours to vegetation or water, everything's just off.

Graphics are a petty reason not to play a game but it was half of what made Witcher 2 so magical and unique. Such games just need a crapload of effects to make the world come to life.

Anyway, that's just my take on things. I hope people will enjoy the game for what it is.

Soldato
Will it matter? No.

Will it make it a more enjoyable experience? Probably yes.

As far as I can tell from seeing one review just to get a good idea of how the game actually plays, there is a scene towards the beginning of the game where you are getting your beard shaved and it recaps the previous games story there; and you have to pick different options for big plot points for the previous games, as if you were carrying a save over.

Speaking of importing saves, I'm quite curious how big of an impact your decisions in the second game will make on the world in Wild Hunt. Would be cool if it altered a huge chunk of the game, as it did in 2:D

Caporegime
^^

Says it all. I hate the consoles sometimes. Basically the Xbone became the low bar that had to be set for the game, with the PS4 and even more so the PC version being hamstrung..

Great.. 'Next gen' consoles :mad:

Why is it the consoles fault? Surely the blame lays suqarely at the dev, this was a decision made by them. If they would have pushed the PC game out first them 'ported' that out to console there wouldn't be a problem.

Soldato
Just to answer your question: I think I'll probably skip it, at least for the time being. It's not because I want to show my annoyance to the developers by not supporting them or anything childish like that. It's only a game, doesn't matter whether I play it or not.

It's simply because I've been shown pretty gameplays that looked very complete(not those 2013 trailers but e.g. the swamp gameplay) and my brain sort of became hard-wired to think that's what we were going to get.

No matter how good the game is, I just don't feel like investing time into a world so visually unappealing (especially after sinking 50hrs of my life into GTA5, the last game to do that to me was Ryu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza 4 on good ol' PS3 when I played a lot more than nowadays;p). It's vast and varied and all but it seriously looks like I'm drugged up 24/7 and traversing cardboard forests with hyperactive trees on LSD. The animations are clunky as well, it feels like an indie game at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv0gJ8DpUd0 That's the last gameplay I've seen, apparently on Ultra. Even if you can enable HBAO+ and sharpening, they won't miraculously turn the game into what we saw a year ago. It looks so unbelievably bad at times it makes me cringe. From colours to vegetation or water, everything's just off.

Graphics are a petty reason not to play a game but it was half of what made Witcher 2 so magical and unique. Such games just need a crapload of effects to make the world come to life.

Anyway, that's just my take on things. I hope people will enjoy the game for what it is.

Your sticking to what feels right for you mate and gotta respect you for that, i hope you give it a try at some stage as the early reviews do indicate its something special indeed.

One thing you can be sure is that on Tuesday this thread will hopefully turn into a how the game plays discussion rather than how it "should" look

Soldato
Speaking of importing saves, I'm quite curious how big of an impact your decisions in the second game will make on the world in Wild Hunt. Would be cool if it altered a huge chunk of the game, as it did in 2:D

How much of an impact did 1 actually make to 2? I tried to import my save but it wouldn't detect it for some reason :(

And do we think 1 will have much of an impact on 3? I still have my saves from 2, wondering if it will ask for saves from both, or take the save from 2 and use the choices from 1 from that save (if that makes sense?).

I might have another play through as 1 is a little hazy in my mind (last time I played it was about 3 years ago :p)

Back
Top Bottom