• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Caporegime
omg the graphics look juice

Err, a lot of that video highlights some pretty poor quality. The walls he's standing on at the end, the textures are awful. A lot of those up close leaf textures are poor. Everything seems to be moving, constantly. Not enough wind to blow his hair around much but enough to make every single tree and bush constantly move. Trees/bushes all moving but the three plumes of smoke go up straight in the air.

The 'scene' is very nicely crafted, the distance view is nice, but the actual up close texture quality looks fairly lacking. The character himself didn't look hugely detailed, while standing on the cliff when he spun around to the point you could see the tunnel, the stone work, all that looked pretty poor. The vines in the first scene blowing against the wall in the wind, all being one texture and bouncing back and forth like a piece of cardboard.

It's got distance view, but they seen to have sacrificed a huge amount of detail up close to do it. The constant wind in every scene, the constant movement of hundreds of objects, that is going to be having a pretty detrimental performance hit I would think and again, it doesn't seem very realistic, you can hear the wind itself gusting, but the trees movement appears constant. It seems to be an overused effect in every single scene.

UPloaded video though, compression, lack of quality and sharpness, even so some of those textures looked pretty crap. Seriously the wall he was standing on at the end and the walls around, the absolute sharpness of a straight line edge in a stone brick wall, that is really in this day and age seriously lacking quality. Where is the tessellation and the depth to the stones, a jagged edge to the wall.

Associate
That just makes me nervous. I really love CD projekt but I'm really not liking this policy on removing videos because they look bad and such. Dare I say you can really feel like this is going to be a console port.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
I think this kind of thing happens bescause the devs/pubs sold out to the console propriotors/market (in one way or another).

Sadly, the console market is too much of a $$$ honeypot to ignore and they will undoubtedly have been leaned on by Microsoft and Sony to make sure the PC version does not put the console versions to shame too much in order to maximise console sales. Hence why we will probably see more vague press releases from the devs and a general avoidance of the subject. The devs have 'guilty' written all over their faces! :)

That's business folks, and the console market created a monster where all that matters is the $$$'s. Designing games for the love of games went out of the window years ago. Now it is all about product, and how much of it they can sell and how they can milk you for more with DLC/microtransactions etc etc. It's a sad state of affairs, but it is what it is.

I have already said I think R* had the right kind of idea. However I still don't understand how a company that size could not develop the games to be released at the same time. My suspicion is to keep the console proprietors happy, and perhaps it was also an astute business move. Plenty of people bought on console, then bought again for the PC. If they had released both at same time - console sales would have been less in my opinion, and so would the double buying. Ergo, its all about the monaaaay!

We will have to see how it pans out, but I am already sensing the current gen of consoles will not have the same kind of shelf life as their predecessors. They just don't seem to have the processing power to produce the visual fidelity many gamers are expecting. If they are struggling this much after only 18 months of release, imagine how things will be in another 2 years when the PC hardware is several orders of magnitude ahead? It kind of already is to be fair but it will be a lot more obvious in 2yrs time. Sure, they can eke out more performance as they get more familiar with the development environment on consoles, but will that ever equate to notable increases in performance when the technical capability of the consoles is on the back foot already?

I think the console developers are going to have to have a serious rethink on their R&D processes and the design life of their equipment. Much like swapping out a HDD I can see future releases having to be upgradable or a much shorter shelf life - so a new console every 3-5yrs.

Soldato
Thing is, they did not have to do that to get the pre orders, just the name of the game and the company name would have done that after the last two games. Anyway I am still a massive Witcher fanboi and am still really looking forward to this game.

You and me both :)

Do people really preorder based on the first trailer they see years before release too? I never do personally.

Soldato
CDPR will hopefully backtrack a little and release a PC upgrade patch, if the sole reason for the downgrade is due to developing for the lowest common denominator (XBONE) then surely they could easily get much better results out of the PS4 and PC.

Soldato
CDPR will hopefully backtrack a little and release a PC upgrade patch, if the sole reason for the downgrade is due to developing for the lowest common denominator (XBONE) then surely they could easily get much better results out of the PS4 and PC.

We can only hope for an Enhanced Edition, although with work on the expansions taking precedent, if it's coming, it won't be for a while.

Associate
This is such a shame that they decide to gimp the PC version to fall in line with the ps4. I have been keen to upgrade my gfx card soon, however when a game as big as this gets a downgrade then it makes me less inclined.

It does look good, dont get me wrong, but its certainly not as amazing as initial previews made out. That video psychopigeon posted.... The walls Geralt is standing on at the end of the video are a joke. They are all perfectly square with sharp edges. Thats pretty bad.

Soldato
Some interesting pictures with colour correction, seems it will look much better with it.

Combine that with any potential high res texture packs & mods, either the devs or the community should be able to pull this one closer to the first trailers. The toning down of the colours & use of more 'earthy' darker tones really suits the style much better.

witcher-3.jpg

Associate
Thing is, they did not have to do that to get the pre orders, just the name of the game and the company name would have done that after the last two games. Anyway I am still a massive Witcher fanboi and am still really looking forward to this game.

I'm sorry but they knew exactly what they were doing by releasing in game footage early.

You just have to look at the posts earlier in this thread to realise not everyone played the last 2 games and are interested in this due to the game play footage they saw.

To think the earlier footage had no impact on sales is extremely naive.

Soldato
play it next week or wait is going to be the one for me

Skyrim has had some fantastic graphical mods since release - but do I play them - nope - why ? I played the game as much as I wanted on release - so any subsequent improvements not much use to me

Permabanned
I'm sorry but they knew exactly what they were doing by releasing in game footage early.

You just have to look at the posts earlier in this thread to realise not everyone played the last 2 games and are interested in this due to the game play footage they saw.

To think the earlier footage had no impact on sales is extremely naive.

Not quite sure what you were reading in my reply? It clearly says they had no reason to show that footage at all, they could have showed what would be roughly the final release as they would have got the pre orders anyway without the fancy graphics that we seem to not be getting now. Hope that clears it up a bit for you ;)

Anyway they have pulled the PC vs PS4 footage as clearly it is not what we will be getting on release.

Soldato
why were the Twitch streams the other day showing footage without the "Nvidia" Hair etc on - yet were using 980s ?

lots of stuff about this game not making much sense

I hope to not be disappointed - as great software house, and W1/W2 were fantastic

Back
Top Bottom