• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
hasn't it already been confirmed theres extra options in the ini file that someone posted. Like higher res shadows. water tessellation, extended distance rendering ect.

I don't think we can confirm anything at this stage. It is obvious there is a clear and drastic loss of quality between the preview trailers and the recent PC version videos. What isn't obvious is if it's 100% confirmed they are using the very best settings.

We will know in a few days.

Soldato
I always find these kind of posts ironic. Guy posts an attempted witty comment/animation/image claiming there is nothing new in a thread, by posting nothing new in a thread.

I'm more than happy to discuss the game with you, if we can all leave the graphics debacle for a bit.

Associate
How about we post a few positive things? I'm not sure if this is a re-post, sorry if someone has already posted this info.

The performance is awesome according to PCGH (german pc hardware mag)

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Technik-Test-1158845/

- Performance is "very good", regardless if you're using Radeon-GPUs or Nvidia-GPUs.

- GTX 770 or R9 280X are sufficient for Ultra Settings @ FullHD

- 2 Gigabyte VRAM is enough for the (still very good and diverse) Max Textures.

- Config File lets you tweak the game extensively, like Distance Scaling (I know some of you were worried) and higher res shadows.

- Every thread is getting some love. So get your 6 cores out Wink. Still, the game is playable with just 4 cores @ 2GHz on ultra.

- PCGH is usually all about 60+ FPS. 40 is considered bare minimum there. Exact benchmarks and everything will be released once the game is out.

They are also very impressed with the efficiency of the ressource management:

- Red Engine 3 uses a Forward+-Renderer, Texture-Blending and LoD-System via Umbra - 3 Middleware and it all helps saving memory and ressources. Basically the best streaming methods you can possibly have. This also explains the relatively small size of the game.

- The landscape is tessellated, but only in places where it's really needed.

- The game is very beautiful and full of little details and animations despite the very good performance.

- Only real gpu killer is hairworks, on both, amd and nvidia gpus

- HBAO+ doesn't have a huge impact.

The PC vs PS4 comparison video was taken down, and CDPR shared a bit of info why:

CD Projekt RED’s ‘Marcin Momot’ revealed the following information, to point out the differences between the PC and PS4 builds:
- draw distance
- framerate
- resolution
- exclusive features such as hairworks

According to NVIDIA’s guide, the PC version will also pack higher quality effects and higher resolution textures.

Marcin also confirmed that the PC version will feature more NPCs than the PS4 version.

Marcin added that the video was not representative of the PC version as it made the PC version look pretty bad, and emphasised it’s not the final version.

“Regarding the comparison video, unfortunately we don’t know how this video was created and what PC settings have been used. It compared an early PC version with a PS4 debug build without the day 1 patch. So it’s quite an uncommon basic setting. Something went wrong here and therefore we spoke to the editorial team behind it – we both agreed something is not quite right and while we’re figuring out what mistake has been made, we have removed the video. We do admit it looked pretty wonky, hence its removal.”

So according to Marcin Momot the PC version should look better than we saw in that video. Possibly better than we've seen in other videos/streams too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm more than happy to discuss the game with you, if we can all leave the graphics debacle for a bit.

If you don't wish to discuss Witcher 3 graphics on the Witcher 3 thread I suggest you stop coming in here. Why not skip or ignore any posts mentioning the graphics and concentrate on ones concerning gameplay etc.

People have an entirely valid reason for discussing graphics and no amount of "witty" dead horse references will change that fact.

Soldato

It isn't the graphics that annoys people, it looks decent. It's the fact they showcased the game looking better than anything else on the market and then deliberately took it all away and gave us an average eighth gen game. Had the gameplay trailers and teasers looked the same as what we're seeing in the released version, nobody would care.

It's their own fault for falsely advertising their product, nobody is going insane, nobody is giving themselves cancer from their own rage blah blah, they are just not letting it slide, and then there are a few people defending it like... Really? If you don't care, cool, let people bring it up until everyone's had their say and we move on, instead people defend it and it adds fuel to the fire and then people actually begin to become annoyed by the defenders and then we have this mess.

Last edited:
Soldato
With regards to this config tweaking thing, are people assuming these options aren't already in the graphics menu or do we know they're not? It just strikes me as odd to have the options and not include them in a menu.

It isn't the graphics that annoys people, it looks decent. It's the fact they showcased the game looking better than anything else on the market and then deliberately took it all away and gave us an average eighth gen game. Had the gameplay trailers and teasers looked the same as what we're seeing in the released version, nobody would care.

That's an interesting discussion to have, as it really highlights how publishers (or publishing departments in this case) drop developers in it. Clearly what should have happened is they should have stuck to CGI trailers until they knew exactly what they could put on consoles. Instead the publishers rush stuff out to garner hyper and then get egg on their face when things go wrong.

What isn't interesting to discuss is the reposting of the same images with a comment about how bad it looks.

Also, ICDP... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
With regards to this config tweaking thing, are people assuming these options aren't already in the graphics menu or do we know they're not? It just strikes me as odd to have the options and not include them in a menu.

ICDP... :rolleyes:

It's extra stuff that is not on the options menu. I've seen multiple games with editable ini's to fine tune graphic settings. I don't think it's uncommon or odd.

This post goes over a few: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-w...ning-uber-terrain-textures-lod-options-found/

Soldato

It's their own fault for falsely advertising their product, nobody is going insane, nobody is giving themselves cancer from their own rage blah blah, they are just not letting it slide, and then there is a few people defending it like... Really? If you don't care, cool, let people bring it up until everyone's had their say and we move on, instead people defend it and it adds fuel to the fire and then people actually begin to become annoyed by the defenders and then we have this mess.

I'm prepared to give the devs the benefit of the doubt and wait until release to see if the recent "downgrading" is true or not. There is a clear quality difference between earlier gameplay trailers and the recent console (and PC) leaked videos. What remains to be seen is if the final version with the release day patch makes a difference.

Soldato
Oooh, a rolleyes emoticon, that's me put in my place. Typical fanboi defender and his oh so delicate sensitivities.

Get used to the fact that people are going to discuss the alleged graphics downgrade here and you will live a happier life.

Soldato
Oooh, a rolleyes emoticon, that's me put in my place. Typical fanboi defender and his oh so delicate sensitivities.

Get used to the fact that people are going to discuss the alleged graphics downgrade here and you will live a happier life.

Ha! The rolleyes was for your whingey little comment about blubbing, but you edited it out! However, that comment surely deserves another :rolleyes: Get a grip man! :D

Soldato

I agree with this. Seems everytime someone mentions anything else it gets buried by more graphics talk

Maybe a seperate thread for lore, gameplay, and who we wanna make Geralt 'do'? :p (Yen first i think lol)

Last edited:
Soldato
What I don't understand is why developers make these beautiful assets with lots of geometry and wonderfully crafted textures and effects only to remove them before release, that must be an awful lot of wasted time and resources, right?

Same with Watch_dogs or Colonial Marines.

Associate
I agree with this. Seems everytime someone mentions anything else it gets buried by more graphics talk

Maybe a seperate thread for lore, gameplay, and who we wanna make Geralt 'do'? :p (Yen first i think lol)

Any of them. Hell, I'd make him have a go on the Alp in the CGI trailer if he hadn't collapsed (I think even Geralt would draw the line with the 'morning' version of her :p)

Associate
With any luck once it's released all the downgraded graphics talk will (after a probable peak!) tail off. I understand the frustrations, I really do... I haven't spend X amount on a gaming PC to be held back by the limits of an Xbox One but still...

Once released however, this thread will ultimately be better served to discuss the gameplay and experience themselves rather than all this Watchdogs Part Deux moaning. It's getting a bit boring. Other than the graphical downgrade Watchdogs was (according to reports, not played it) more or less just a meh GTA sandbox clone, this game will have a lot more depth to it besides and plenty to discuss, I'm quite sure.

Not long now... :)

Back
Top Bottom