• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
I like how they havent really showed much of the main story etc in gameplays, so im wondering how prominent the Wild hunt will be!

I wonder if you can witness it while just roaming around unscripted

Soldato
I like how they havent really showed much of the main story etc in gameplays, so im wondering how prominent the Wild hunt will be!

I wonder if you can witness it while just roaming around unscripted

The thing with most open world RPG games is that the main story always stops if you wonder off to explore. Even plots that require you to believe the world will end soon due to an invasion by demonic/alien/arch enemy hordes unless you stop them.

I expect Witcher 3 to continue this tradition.

Last edited:
Soldato
The thing with open world RPG games is that the main story always stops if you wonder off to explore. Even plots that require you to believe the world will end soon due to an invasion by demonic/alien/arch enemy hordes unless you stop them.

I expect Witcher 3 to continue this tradition.

Yea i know what you mean, theres always the main path and the sode stuff. I hope the side stuff in this has more impact than other recent rpgs. Dragon age was just filled with rubbish to pad out the clock and make the map feel busy.

Choices have been a big part of this series before so hopefully that works well

Associate
Yea i know what you mean, theres always the main path and the sode stuff. I hope the side stuff in this has more impact than other recent rpgs. Dragon age was just filled with rubbish to pad out the clock and make the map feel busy.

Some of the reviewers that actually have 100+ hours in have specifically said most side quests that seem insignificant can have a noticeable change in the world around you. Pretty sweet!

Soldato

Yeah, DAI was one so called RPG I truly tried to like but ultimately it was a grind. The side quests were pure filler and the main quest was hackneyed and tedious. It was single player but the missions were almost pure MMO grinds.

Soldato
Some of the reviewers that actually have 100+ hours in have specifically said most side quests that seem insignificant can have a noticeable change in the world around you. Pretty sweet!

That is great news. When I first read that side quests could change the world around you I assumed it meant IF you chose to do them.

Soldato
Yeah, DAI was one so called RPG I truly tried to like but ultimately it was a grind. The side quests were pure filler and the main quest was hackneyed and tedious. It was single player but the missions were almost pure MMO grinds.

Wasnt just me going mental then :D

Yea i retried it recently but just couldnt do it what with this on the way so just passed it on

As the last few comments have mentioned i think the side stuff actually branches off in to more substantial storys and can have an affect on the ending etc so thats something atleast. However i do imagine at its core most of the objectices will be the usual stuff, fetching, killing and so on but if it has more meaningful context it will feel better as theres a reason to do it

Soldato
What I don't understand is why developers make these beautiful assets with lots of geometry and wonderfully crafted textures and effects only to remove them before release, that must be an awful lot of wasted time and resources, right?

Same with Watch_dogs or Colonial Marines.

Master assets are often made higher quality than they are ever expected to be used, the asset pipeline then processes them into the appropriate quality for the target platform.

Soldato

Sounds good i know that if you clear villages from monsters or whatever then the villagers will come back which in turn creates more places you can buy/sell items

Soldato
Master assets are often made higher quality than they are ever expected to be used, the asset pipeline then processes them into the appropriate quality for the target platform.

Indeed. Then if you have money grabbing publishers, they repackage them for PC and sell them as an HD texture pack! :D

Soldato
3840x2160 isn't 4k but everyone uses that description.

Yeah, and they're using it incorrectly. There is such a thing as 2K, but it's not 1920x1080. It's 2048x1080.

People are going K mad for some reason. 2560x1440 is being called 2K, and 3200x1800 is being called 3K. It's ridiculous.

off topic but how is 3840x2160 not 4K? Is the 4k not meant as 4 times the amount of pixels as 1920x1080?

I know very little about it tbh :D

If that's what it meant, it'd be 4X. The K represents "thousand", as it's based on "kilo" which is derived from the Greek word "chilioi" which means "1000".

So 3840x2160 isn't 4K.

Associate
Gameplay with i3 3220 + GTX 660 high settings.

Gameplay video so it will obviously contain spoilers

Looks like it runs well on high, even with an i3 and 660. Well optimised I guess.

Soldato

It's funny, because higher quality assets is usually something people use as an argument to claim modern games are an order of magnitude more expensive to produce because of things like higher quality texturing and modelling as well as other assets.

Soldato
If that's what it meant, it'd be 4X. The K represents "thousand", as it's based on "kilo" which is derived from the Greek word "chilioi" which means "1000".

So 3840x2160 isn't 4K.

Yeah, I did a bit of reading up about it and found the '2\4K' represents the horizontal pixels. Learn something new everyday. 4K UHD sounds a bit better for 3840x2160 than 2160P though tbf :D

Back
Top Bottom