• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
This is the best look you'll get right now of actual PC Ultra gameplay as of yesterday at decent youtube quality lol. This is before day 1 patch obviously. Skip to right over the 1 hour mark.

Last edited:
Associate
More fuel for the fire:

The Witcher 3 Developers Assures Textures Remain the Same from 2013

Just a few days from release with The Witcher 3 and CDPR has revealed more information about concerns about the game.

Philipp Weber The Quest Designer of The Witcher 3 clarified that the textures were not changed from the initial footage shown in 2013

“We never switched the textures. On pc, you now have the option to activate “Ultra” quality textures with the full resolution. However, the difference that many people see with new and old footage was a strong sharpening filter in 2013 that looks awesome on screenshots and in short videos, but strains the eyes after a short while if there is a lot of movement (leaves and grass swaying in the wind as an example). That’s why it was decided to tone that effect down.
However, people who really want to have it can of course use the Redkit to change the environment settings. It’s just a matter of taste. ; )”

http://acutegaming.net/the-witcher-3-developers-assures-textures-remain-the-same-from-2013/2015/

Soldato
However, the difference that many people see with new and old footage was a strong sharpening filter in 2013 that looks awesome on screenshots and in short videos, but strains the eyes after a short while if there is a lot of movement

^ What a load of drivel. Basically, it's known as AA. That does not account for any of the other glaringly obvious graphical changes that's going around.

I'd swear some devs are actually politicians.

Associate

The RedKit modding tools set is indeed coming, which is good to know since a recent IGN livestream created some doubt:

I can confirm that. About the IGN livestream: The developer was just not 100% sure, since he does not work on Redkit and wanted to give a cautious answer just in case. But we are definitely working on this.

Or use sweetfx I guess.

Soldato
Master assets are often made higher quality than they are ever expected to be used, the asset pipeline then processes them into the appropriate quality for the target platform.

I used to work for a flightsim developer doing freelance texturing work. I remember one of the 3D modellers telling me he would create extremely hi detailed versions of his work even though it would choke even future hardware.

Soldato
There's no way the perceived graphics downgrade is due to the removal of a sharpening filter :D What about all the other missing effects and the lighting completely changed. They keep digging themselves deeper into a hole by lying about it.

Soldato

I have to be honest and say they all look pretty mediocre, they look nothing like the old screenshots before the lead up to the game launch which has raised so many questions.

I have this horrible feeling the Day 1 patch is going to do hardly anything or nothing to the obviously "altered" graphics we are seeing lately.

Soldato
This is the best look you'll get right now of actual PC Ultra gameplay as of yesterday at decent youtube quality lol. This is before day 1 patch obviously. Skip to right over the 1 hour mark.

In certain lighting conditions it looks stunning and in others, mainly dusk, it looks pretty crap. Sure it will look good enough to enjoy it though. Can't wait.

Soldato
One of the Visual Effects artists discussing Witcher 3.

"impossible to downgrade a game when there was no grade to downgrade" :p

"No grade to downgrade"..... Except the gameplay footage that they previously showed us and sold the game on. It's like they've had a meeting at work and all agreed to just deny deny deny. They must take us for stupid. I would have more respect for them if they admitted having to remove some features due to performance and time restraints, assuming that is indeed the case.

Associate
"No grade to downgrade"..... Except the gameplay footage that they previously showed us and sold the game on. It's like they've had a meeting at work and all agreed to just deny deny deny. They must take us for stupid. I would have more respect for them if they admitted having to remove some features due to performance and time restraints, assuming that is indeed the case.

Yeah its a bit of a strange one. We were shown "gameplay" footage so we expected it to look like that. To say that it was uncomfortable on the eyes after prolonged periods is a pretty lame way to justify changing its look.

We might be proven wrong on release with a day 1 patch though.

Soldato
This is what happens when game consoles are thrown into the mix, the developers spend more time optimizing performance on them, and PC gets a back seat.

To the point where enhancing the graphics on PC is no longer a justified expense, because they are only interested in selling the game to widest audience possible and the enthusiasts are only a small minority.

Soldato
This is what happens when game consoles are thrown into the mix, the developers spend more time optimizing performance on them, and PC gets a back seat.

To the point where enhancing the graphics on PC is no longer a justified expense, because they are only interested in selling the game to widest audience possible and the enthusiasts are only a small minority.

How do you know this is the case? Let's blame the consoles even though without them there probably wouldn't be any big budget games in the industry.

Soldato
How do you know this is the case?

Because CDPR have already stated this is the case?

We might be proven wrong on release with a day 1 patch though.

Surely if the day 1 patch was going to restore the game to its previous graphical quality, they'd be shouting about it to try and keep people happy?

There's so much denial in this thread; "wait and see", "all the screenshots we've seen have been on low settings", "they're console screenshots", etc. but I think that if the PC version on max settings looked like the original shots/videos, or if the day 1 patch was to restore those settings, then we'd have seen some evidence of that by now.

If you had a product that had half of your customers up in arms about it's lack of quality, and you had an answer to those concerns, wouldn't you do everything in your power to alleviate them? Not flat out deny that there was a quality issue in the hope that everyone would just believe it despite all evidence to the contrary? :confused:

Given it's now less than 2 days to launch, the PC version must be finished, and the day 1 patch must be at least close to complete - all that would needed would be a video/couple of screenshots showing how the game looks in all it's glory, but instead we have simply a wall of silence punctuated by the occasional denial.

I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised, but due to the above, I have very little confidence in that happening.

I'm not by any means saying it will be a bad game, I'm sure it will be awesome, and I'm looking forward to it, but quite frankly, the responses from CDPR (or lack thereof) are very disappointing.

Last edited:
Associate
I have to be honest and say they all look pretty mediocre, they look nothing like the old screenshots before the lead up to the game launch which has raised so many questions.

I have this horrible feeling the Day 1 patch is going to do hardly anything or nothing to the obviously "altered" graphics we are seeing lately.
If this looks mediocre, what open world games look better?
Maybe just GTA V.
It's not what we expected, but it's still great ._.

Back
Top Bottom