• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
Because CDPR have already stated this is the case?

No they have not. A CDPR "insider" allegedly said that with no confirmation who he actually was. It also says to take the info with a grain of salt as it cannot confirm the identity of the author of the statement. It maybe is the case that CDPR coded to the lowest common denominator. It still doesn't make it the fault of the consoles and is purely at the feet of the devs.

Soldato
No they have not. A CDPR "insider" allegedly said that with no confirmation who he actually was. It also says to take the info with a grain of salt as it cannot confirm the identity of the author of the statement. It maybe is the case that CDPR coded to the lowest common denominator. It still doesn't make it the fault of the consoles and is purely at the feet of the devs.

As I said, there's so much denial in this thread... ;)

eKhF1wb.gif

Please feel free to provide some evidence that the game hasn't been downgraded? Even CDPR themselves seem unable/unwilling to do so...

Soldato
Because CDPR have already stated this is the case?

Surely if the day 1 patch was going to restore the game to its previous graphical quality, they'd be shouting about it to try and keep people happy?

There's so much denial in this thread; "wait and see", "all the screenshots we've seen have been on low settings", "they're console screenshots", etc. but I think that if the PC version on max settings looked like the original shots/videos, or if the day 1 patch was to restore those settings, then we'd have seen some evidence of that by now.

If you had a product that had half of your customers up in arms about it's lack of quality, and you had an answer to those concerns, wouldn't you do everything in your power to alleviate them? Not flat out deny that there was a quality issue in the hope that everyone would just believe it despite all evidence to the contrary? :confused:

Given it's now less than 2 days to launch, the PC version must be finished, and the day 1 patch must be at least close to complete - all that would needed would be a video/couple of screenshots showing how the game looks in all it's glory, but instead we have simply a wall of silence punctuated by the occasional denial.

I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised, but due to the above, I have very little confidence in that happening.

I'm not by any means saying it will be a bad game, I'm sure it will be awesome, and I'm looking forward to it, but quite frankly, the responses from CDPR (or lack thereof) are very disappointing.

I completely agree.

As for blaming the devs, do you think they want to release something that isn't as higher quality as they're able? Developers are just driven by the publishers, in this case it's the same company, but the actual development team is merely a scape goat. It's the publishers that foot the bill and are only concerned about the bottom line, just look at EA and Ubisoft for examples of that.

Last edited:
Soldato
As for blaming the devs, do you think they want to release something that isn't as higher quality as they're able? Developers are just driven by the publishers, in this case it's the same company, but the actual development team is merely a scape goat.

I understand that, I work in development, and know exactly what it's like when management promise customers the world without consulting my team! :p

Soldato
As I said, there's so much denial in this thread... ;)

eKhF1wb.gif

Denial at what? Have you even read what I wrote :confused:

My point being that us as PC gamers seem to think the big bad consoles are to blame for everything when without them, the gaming industry would be a fraction of what it is today.

Regards your edit, where have I said the game hasn't been downgraded? Every post I've made in the thread has been condemning the downgrade!

Soldato

My point being that us as PC gamers seem to think the big bad consoles are to blame for everything when without them, the gaming industry would be a fraction of what it is today.

Well, why would the game have been downgraded?

A) The developers couldn't be bothered.
B) It would have taken too long to create the higher quality assets.
C) It would have taken too long to create both higher quality PC and lower quality console assets, therefore the decision was made to create one set of assets to cater for all.
D) CDPR were... "persuaded" to ensure console parity
E) Insert your own reason here.

I know which of those reasons I think are the most likely...

Yes the gaming industry would be a lot smaller without consoles, but what's more important, quantity or quality?

Imagine if games like HL2, Far Cry, UT2004 had to be built to run on the PS2 and original xBox?!

Regards your edit, where have I said the game hasn't been downgraded? Every post I've made in the thread has been condemning the downgrade!

Fair enough, but there are plenty of people flat out denying that any downgrade has taken place :p

(Including CDPR who you would think are in the perfect position to actually prove it!)

Last edited:
Soldato
I completely agree.

As for blaming the devs, do you think they want to release something that isn't as higher quality as they're able? Developers are just driven by the publishers, in this case it's the same company, but the actual development team is merely a scape goat. It's the publishers that foot the bill and are only concerned about the bottom line, just look at EA and Ubisoft for examples of that.

Maybe so, developers and publishers at fault then. Why the need to try and defend CDPR like they are immune to criticism?

Soldato

Yes but the quality of what was out there would be superb and we would have edgy and interesting games, just as we saw before the explosion of console popularity :)

I would rather have a smaller industry but one that cares about games than a multi billion dollar industry that just cares about the bottom line (See Ubisoft, EA, Activision et al).

But alas, it is not meant to be. Just an example of how progress isn't really, well, progress - certainly not in game terms.

I am torn because I love gaming and have been doing it since it had negative 'nerdy' connotations so I think more people enjoying games = win. But on the other hand I lament the generic recycled rubbish that has been the staple of the games industry for the last decade. That is the result of gaming releases that cater for the casual masses to earn easy $$$'s, and it is that loss of spark and innovation that I miss.

Catch 22, I love gaming but I don't love what the industry has become :(

But, after all said and done - political and industry issues aside - I think the Witcher 3 will probably be a good game. However that does not change the fact it could have been a lot better (as could 99% of most games released in the last few years) but the industry is racing to the bottom for the lowest common denominator - consoles.

I r with much sads :p

Soldato
I'm not defending CDPR, I'm clearly leveling blame at them. I am just distinguishing between the development and the publishing arm of the company.

From what I've seen, it's Bandai Namco that are publishers for PAL region and Warner Bros for NA region. So CDPR are the developers of the game. They are the ones getting interviewed and denying everything. As I've said previously, I would have had much more respect for them if they came out and told the truth instead.

Associate
I thought CDPR already came out with their supposed reason for this downgrade?

Essentially it boiled down to consoles not being powerful enough and them not having the resources or time (read: not laziness) to develop two or three graphically different versions of the game.

Money doesn't grow on trees and we can't know if they were strapped for cash or low on man-power, so I don't blame them per se. The only thing I don't like about the situation is that they didn't admit it straight away.

I think the game still looks good and I'll definitely have a thoroughly good time playing it.

Associate
PCGames, a German pc mag said that there is no more pc-embargo so they are now streaming the PC version: http://www.twitch.tv/gamestarde/

Downgrade or not, it looks pretty awesome.

47c0c3b90c.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom