• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
Most people aren't annoyed because the game has been downgraded, they're annoyed because they were told a couple of months ago that it definitely wouldn't be.

I don't think many people would be too bothered if CDPR had come out and said "during our development it's become apparent that we don't have the resources to create/the game performance is unacceptable/insert valid reason here to keep the graphical quality as high as planned, but we're looking at an enhanced edition at some point in the future".

That's fair enough, but jeez the reaction from people you'd think the developers had come round and slapped their mother. So the graphics are going to look a bit different to what you expected.....well, by all accounts so far it is actually going to look pretty damn good on a decent PC. Enjoy the game!

...and don't pre-order games games on prototype footage....I really don't understand the thought processes that lead people to lend publishers interest free loans anyway. There is no upside for the consumer, only risks! Wait til release when you know exactly what you're getting.

Soldato
...and don't pre-order games games on prototype footage....I really don't understand the thought processes that lead people to lend publishers interest free loans anyway. There is no upside for the consumer, only risks! Wait til release when you know exactly what you're getting.

The problem with that in this case, is that many people saw CDPR as pretty much the last bastion of PC gaming developers/publishers, and pre-ordered due to wanting to support them.

I'm guessing that's where the "we now know that no dev can actually be trusted" comment came from.

Of course logically it makes sense not to pre-order, but if someone is doing a good job and you want to show them that they're doing a good job in order to encourage them to continue doing so; what better way than to pre-order?

Associate
I have a feeling CDPR were painfully aware of the shortcomings in their development pipeline in regards to the assets and textures and graphical fidelity on the PC version. No doubt the delays have in part been caused by them trying to bring the PC version up-to-par with the original vision on-top of the cross-platform build they had to compromise with.

We'll get something in-between what they "promised" (ie. their vision they hoped to realise initially), and what we've seen so far (mostly fake/console screenshots that are causing all the whining).

“People," Geralt turned his head, "like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem less monstrous themselves. When they get blind-drunk, cheat, steal, beat their wives, starve an old woman, when they kill a trapped fox with an axe or riddle the last existing unicorn with arrows, they like to think that the Bane entering cottages at daybreak is more monstrous than they are. They feel better then. They find it easier to live.” ― Andrzej Sapkowski, The Last Wish

Associate
So guys my PC is a bit long in the tooth, i7 920 @ 3.6, 6gb, 670 2GB.

Do you think it's worth getting this on PC, or just pick it up on PS4?

Associate
So guys my PC is a bit long in the tooth, i7 920 @ 3.6, 6gb, 670 2GB.

Do you think it's worth getting this on PC, or just pick it up on PS4?

At least with the PC version you can tweak it to your tastes (more fps, more IQ etc.), it's up to you I guess, I don't think your hardware means you'd be stuck with sub-PS4 experience though, at all.

Soldato
Ever get where you have been really looking forward to a game, then when it is released you really don't feel like playing it? That's me right now.

Never had that :( feel for you though, if anythibg put me off enjoying this i would have nothing gaming wise to look forward to at all! Cant wait to get my teeth into this after work tmo!

Associate
PC Gamer have released a new article about graphics and performance, http://www.pcgamer.com/witcher-3-graphics-options-performance-and-settings/

Makes a change from a German article :)

A lot of the high-end effects, like HBAO+ postprocessing and ultra shadows, are very subtle improvements for a noticeable framerate hit. The game still looks great even if you can't put everything up to ultra.

IC046uMajYdQ.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
:D

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem with that in this case, is that many people saw CDPR as pretty much the last bastion of PC gaming developers/publishers, and pre-ordered due to wanting to support them.

I'm guessing that's where the "we now know that no dev can actually be trusted" comment came from.

Of course logically it makes sense not to pre-order, but if someone is doing a good job and you want to show them that they're doing a good job in order to encourage them to continue doing so; what better way than to pre-order?
Indeed.

Asking for developers to give the PC version the attention is requires isn't too much to ask for. As it stands consoles provide a very small short term boost on release & then continue to hinder high end graphical development.

Now we are at the stage where PC exclusives are so rare the actual benefits of owning a high end PC are reduced. Very rarely a developer will go the extra mile to ensure the PC version hit's the mark, but it's becoming increasingly so.

Associate
Soldato
Something else I've noticed with the graphics - other than the obvious downgrade - the latest footage looks too colourful and oversaturated, something that has nothing to do with GPU power.

Why change the atmospheric, gritty, medieval look from the old footage to the green, vibrant world we see now?

Thank god for Sweetfx.

Back
Top Bottom