This is why people are losing respect for the police...

Soldato
Lived in countryside all my life, currently live with my partner on her 60 acre farm where we have horses, cattle and sheep.

Have never heard of or seen someone controlling an escaped animal in this way and for the police to say they had been trying for hours, it's keystone cops level of competency.

So you know that know how dangerous a 1 ton animal can be when its spooked and not happy, and you know that the London Police officers attending (city people) aren't trained in how to corral a loose farm animal and yet despite that you instinctive know that everything the police did, based on all the information which they have access to but you don't, was solely based on their incompetency and absolutely no other factors which aren't shown in that short video.

In that case from now on every time the Police anywhere in the UK need any help with any loose farm animal within a city, then you have a civic duty to order the Police to listen to you and no-one else, because only you, and no-one else, know exactly what to do in that situation - Wow, you're like the OcUK's own Steve Irwin!!

/sarcasm off - To be blunt, you know virtually nothing about this event outside of a short video clip, just like the rest of us know virtually nothing and none of us yet know all of the facts. So how about we all just slowly put the pitch forks down until we DO know everything, and then at that point, if it IS proven to be that the Police were just being stupid, then feel free to raise that flaming pitch fork and demand justice for the calf!

Has modern Social Media not shown people yet how important getting ALL the context is, that reacting strongly to a short video clip without that further context is almost always a bad idea, and that within a few days when the full facts come out its often not the situation we all initially thought it was from that first video clip?

Soldato
The police need educated in how to deal with escaped farm animals - it was a quiet side street in the middle of the night.
If the police had a training course for every possible situation they might ever deal with, they'd be away from their desks even less than they are now. Somehow I don't think cattle welfare is high up on the list of policing priorities for people.

Soldato
So you know that know how dangerous a 1 ton animal can be when its spooked and not happy, and you know that the London Police officers attending (city people) aren't trained in how to corral a loose farm animal and yet despite that you instinctive know that everything the police did, based on all the information which they have access to but you don't, was solely based on their incompetency and absolutely no other factors which aren't shown in that short video.

Hence why I linked to the article about a loose cow in NYC...everything you said there applies to them and they managed to get a rope over it's neck without running it over.

In that case from now on every time the Police anywhere in the UK need any help with any loose farm animal within a city, then you have a civic duty to order the Police to listen to you and no-one else, because only you, and no-one else, know exactly what to do in that situation - Wow, you're like the OcUK's own Steve Irwin!!

Wtf? You ask for peoples opinion who live in the countryside, are farmers etc and when one gives it, you act your usual smug superior 'what do you know' attitude. :rolleyes: .

/sarcasm off - To be blunt, you know virtually nothing about this event outside of a short video clip, just like the rest of us know virtually nothing and none of us yet know all of the facts. So how about we all just slowly put the pitch forks down until we DO know everything, and then at that point, if it IS proven to be that the Police were just being stupid, then feel free to raise that flaming pitch fork and demand justice for the calf!

Has modern Social Media not shown people yet how important getting ALL the context is, that reacting strongly to a short video clip without that further context is almost always a bad idea, and that within a few days when the full facts come out its often not the situation we all initially thought it was from that first video clip?

OMG, people speculating on an online forum...that's it everybody, Ian has spoken, no-one can have an opinion on anything until every single thing is known!!1!!1 :cry:

Last edited:
Don
If the police had a training course for every possible situation they might ever deal with, they'd be away from their desks even less than they are now. Somehow I don't think cattle welfare is high up on the list of policing priorities for people.
I live in a rural area and have lived in a town with a large slaughterhouse for 20 years - cattle escape on a semi-regular basis here. The police have never ever resorted to crashing cars into young cows to get the situation "under control". It's something people shouldn't need training in, but here we are.

Soldato
Hence why I linked to the article about a loose cow in NYC...everything you said there applies to them and they managed to get a rope over it's neck without running it over.
The article says that cow went into a car park structure so it was in a confined area, not loose on a street where it had been causing chaos for hours.

For balance, here's one where police in Idaho shot and killed one (apologies in advance for the DM link):

And here's one where SYP were able to keep it under control and get the owner to attend:

Every situation is different. It's down to Surrey Police to defend and explain their actions and the best way to do that would be to rapidly edit together and release some of the BWV footage that demonstrates the danger they said it was causing, as well as providing excerpts from the incident log detailing what efforts had been made and who had they'd try to contact for assistance dealing with it. Unfortunately I suspect the impending IOPC referral will shut all that down and allow speculation to run rife instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Humans can be remarkably stupid animals who will consume dairy products all day long whilst eating burgers and bacon sarnies but then a senior politicians getting involved because a cow gets rammed by a police vehicle!

I maintain my position that adults shouldn't continue to eat meat unless their willing at least once to kill, gut, cook and eat at least a smaller size animal like a chicken, duck etc.

The only observation I would have about the video is that the vehicle involves isn't your standard response vehicle but a special operations one making it more likely that they may have specifically been called to the scene rather than just being the first unit on scene.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Humans can be remarkably stupid animals who will consume dairy products all day long whilst eating burgers and bacon sarnies but the a senior politicians getting involved because a cow gets rammed by a police vehicle!

I maintain my position that adults shouldn't continue to eat meat unless their willing at least once to kill, gut, cook and ear at least a smaller sizea animal like a chicken, duck etc.

The only observation I would have about the video is that the vehicle involves isn't your standard response vehicle but a special operations one making it more likely that they may have specifically been called to the scene rather than just being the first unit on scene.
You and @Johno please? should get a room

Caporegime
So you know that know how dangerous a 1 ton animal can be when its spooked and not happy,
iits not a 1ton animal though is it

an adult cow weighs 360-1,100kg.... its not an adult..... ...

all the information which they have access to but you don't, was solely based on their incompetency and absolutely no other factors which aren't shown in that short video.
infallible policing again.... we know what happened before the cops turned up because theres a video on the previous page showing the true size of the calf.... it's barely as big as a front garden fence in height.....

it's not charging anyone.....

I'm calling BS on the police claiming they chased it for hours, whys there only 2 video on the same street then?

COPS will do anything for an easy life, they lack compassion like normal people, the job attracts the scum who got bullied at school and now want to make up for it by showing how tough they are behind a uniform and a badge.
90% of them probably couldn't pass a beep test

Not one of them had the idea to check google for what fruit or veg cows can eat? lets tempt this baby calf into someones garden and lock the gate....

life's so hard.... lets just ram it

Last edited:
Soldato
Humans can be remarkably stupid animals who will consume dairy products all day long whilst eating burgers and bacon sarnies but the a senior politicians getting involved because a cow gets rammed by a police vehicle!

I maintain my position that adults shouldn't continue to eat meat unless their willing at least once to kill, gut, cook and ear at least a smaller sizea animal like a chicken, duck etc.

Eating meat and not wanting to cause unnecessary suffering are not mutually exclusive.

I agree, people should be aware of where their food comes from. Growing up near a slaughterhouse I'm fully aware of where it comes from, I've also experienced bulls and cows roaming on the roads.

Not even the slaughterhouse workers woud have caused unnecessary suffering by ramming them with a vehicle.

Caporegime
daily mail put a map showing where it escaped from and went to
Z3Lk36m.png

The force said in a statement that after attempts to safely capture the cow “over a period of a number of hours” failed, “the decision was made to stop it using a police car”
so we all know that statement is ridiculous unless it stood in that street "over a period of hours, and was still considered an imminent danger to the public"

it's up there with those little britain skits with the guys clothes falling off and him accidently falling on to a..... in a toilet cubicle whilst he was discussing politics

Last edited:
Soldato
Eating meat and not wanting to cause unnecessary suffering are not mutually exclusive.

The dairy industry is necessarily cruel.

Theres really no way to sugar coat it and its why dairy consuming vegetaranism, on an animal welfare basis, is an incoherent position.

I agree, people should be aware of where their food comes from. Growing up near a slaughterhouse I'm fully aware of where it comes from, I've also experienced bulls and cows roaming on the roads.

Not even the slaughterhouse workers woud have caused unnecessary suffering by ramming them with a vehicle.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the tactics the police statements released suggest the decision may well have been made higher up than the driver of the vehicle which again is somewhat supported by the type of vehicle doing the ramming.

The force said in a statement that after attempts to safely capture the cow “over a period of a number of hours” failed, “the decision was made to stop it using a police car”.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Whatever the rights and wrongs onf the tactics the police statements released suggest the decision may well have been made higher up than the driver of the vehicle which again is somewhat supported by the type of vehicle doing the ramming.
so whys he suspended and not the guy who gave the supposed order

Soldato
The dairy industry is necessarily cruel.

Theres really no way to sugar coat it and its why dairy consuming vegetaranism, on an animal welfare basis, is an incoherent position.
Dairy farming, necessary for milk. .
Vehicle ramming cow, not necessary.
No sugar necessary. Not incoherent

Whatever the rights and wrongs onf the tactics the police statements released suggest the decision may well have been made higher up than the driver of the vehicle which again is somewhat supported by the type of vehicle doing the ramming.

And those giving the order to ram are the ones to be held responsible then.

If they'd been trying for several hours they didn't have the right people there.

E: sp

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom