This is why people are losing respect for the police...

Soldato
Tactical contact using a car to protect the children near by who were in danger from said cow near a busy fast road.

All above board, nothing to see here, officers can do nothing wrong.

Soldato
Hmmm, choices choices :)

That looked like a tricky situation brought under control quickly and in a controlled manner, well done.

or

Evil police officer just wants to murder harmless 1 ton cuddly animal, they should be shot, I'm calling the RSPCA immediately!!!!!!!!

or

I'm not sure why the Police thought that was an appropriate response, and I don't think hitting the cow was nice, but I'll wait until we have more information before jumping online.

It'd be interesting to see a poll of the posters so far to see who works on the land in the countryside/is a farmer and who is a townie, because I think we might just see an interesting split if we did!

Last edited:
Associate
I've had to phone the rscpca for a distressed swan before, they left it so long it died.

Not quite the same situation mind....

I know a local swan hero, who regularly saves swans in the locality in all kinds of conditions. He said all the swans with minor ailments he's allowed goto the RSPCA have been put down when they did not need to be. He was looking after a bleeding swan when I met up with him and then the RSPCA showed up when he was waiting for a Swan Sanctuary to take it. The RSPCA seemed like a decent well meaning woman but neither of us were going to let her take the Swan given his experiences with them

Caporegime
I know a local swan hero, who regularly saves swans in the locality in all kinds of conditions. He said all the swans with minor ailments he's allowed goto the RSPCA have been put down when they did not need to be. He was looking after a bleeding swan when I met up with him and then the RSPCA showed up when he was waiting for a Swan Sanctuary to take it. The RSPCA seemed like a decent well meaning woman but neither of us were going to let her take the Swan given his experiences with them

So my story was a bit similar, I phoned up to say there was a swan stuck in a lock. They came out, yeah it's fine it can escape fine. I phoned back a few hours later, I'm pretty sure it can't escape, it's -5 and the canal is freezing over. Got a call back, with can I go check on it - I was in work so couldn't. She said she'd go check again, but it would be fine.

Got home from work and it was dead. Which is a shame, I phoned up moments after it got stuck and she was out twice. No idea why they didn't just get it out.

Soldato
Doesn't even look like it's an adult either, completely harmless (a young bullock I think rather than actual cow, but still harmless).

RSPCA should be getting involved in that, to at the very least teach them about farm animals and that running them over and then parking your car on them isn't really acceptable.

Na hanging them upside down and cutting their head off is though apparently.

Id probably call a sanctuary owner, not an organisation which seems to only care about cats and dogs.

Last edited:
Associate
RSPCA prosecute in the cases of animal cruelty...
Yeah, but in most cases as mentioned above, the animal in question is generally euthanized anyway. Yes I look after large animals and I really wouldn't touch RSPCA with a bargepole, and I would add, large animals loose in an urban area are a huge danger to traffic and so need to be stopped in anyway possible. Cop was right. Oh and I spelt loose right unlike most on this forum.

Caporegime
Video from before they rammed it
it's tiny and clearly no danger to anyone.

seems lost and doesn't know what to do but show an interest in people, probably the one thing it really recognises.

a piece of rope as a lasso and it's all over, or just coax it into a garden and get a trailer to park at the gate.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmm, choices choices :)

That looked like a tricky situation brought under control quickly and in a controlled manner, well done.

No

or

Evil police officer just wants to murder harmless 1 ton cuddly animal, they should be shot, I'm calling the RSPCA immediately!!!!!!!!

No

or

I'm not sure why the Police thought that was an appropriate response,

Bingo

and I don't think hitting the cow was nice, but I'll wait until we have more information before jumping online.

Unless it turns out to be an ISIS calf wearing a suicide belt...

It'd be interesting to see a poll of the posters so far to see who works on the land in the countryside/is a farmer and who is a townie, because I think we might just see an interesting split if we did!

Lived in countryside all my life, currently live with my partner on her 60 acre farm where we have horses, cattle and sheep.

Have never heard of or seen someone controlling an escaped animal in this way and for the police to say they had been trying for hours, it's keystone cops level of competency.

Don
Yeah, but in most cases as mentioned above, the animal in question is generally euthanized anyway. Yes I look after large animals and I really wouldn't touch RSPCA with a bargepole, and I would add, large animals loose in an urban area are a huge danger to traffic and so need to be stopped in anyway possible. Cop was right. Oh and I spelt loose right unlike most on this forum.
I wouldn’t be getting the RSPCA to deal with the animal :cry:

The police need educated in how to deal with escaped farm animals - it was a quiet side street in the middle of the night.

Soldato
Here's an article about a loose cow in NY city, slightly busier than that suburban street in Surrey, and not an isolated incident by the sound of it.

Police corrall the cow and get a rope around its neck, sorted.

It's not rocket science lol

Back
Top Bottom