This is why people are losing respect for the police...

Soldato
And what has that got to do with it. Farmers care for their animals but not with over sentimentality. A youngish calf could still trample a person and corralling it with a vehicle was sensible and not a reason for a policeman or woman to lose their job. It was probably not in the training manual and most come from towns today.

Yeah, you took that the completely wrong way... You said

Police who hit cow were probably right says farmer and union leader.

So all the armchair experts on here, yah boo sucks :p

My attempt at humour was that he probably voted Brexit. The insinuation being his opinions may not be that great... I even ended it with a :p to push the tongue-in-cheek angle :)

Soldato
It just means the farmer is also okay with animal cruelty, which is par for course across the farming industry

But unfortunately most police officers are violent meatheads

You have a lot of strong opinions for someone that probably has zero experience of either industry except what you read in your scandal rags like the Daily Mail.... (see what I did there? ;))

Last edited:
Soldato
Any Vet you pay enough money too will come out and do a job. The police would pay the money, probably less than the compensation they will end up paying out over this for their liability. And failing that simply put a noose on the cow and round it up. Peasants throughout history have easily managed this but low IQ violent cops need to mow down a lost farm animal 5 times with a car. Also if you don't think there are many violent stupid officers, then you haven't followed them in the news and in person. They're filled with absolute knuckle draggers and many whistleblowers state Wayne Couzens wasn't an abnormality. The force is full of domestic abusers

If you think any of that is good policing it says more about you than it does about me.

The news clearly stated that they tried to get a vet to come out, they tried to find the owners - nil results. The police also don't carry lasso/ropes in their incident response kits either.

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with the police and i do agree that there are bad apples amongst their ranks, but to say the police is 'filled' with these - absolute garbage. I've worked with a lot of Forces, Special Branches and Intelligence Services - there are some very intelligent and motivated people who are doing their best to protect the country and its people.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thats your justification? "tastes good though", considering what happens to the victims I think you might wanna try again.... otherwise your logic can be applied to any violence carried out on anyone with the same justification
No, I dont wanna try again. Yes that is my justification, I like meat, its that simple, it tastes good to me, as does milk and other dairy products. Frankly I dont really care what you think about that, its tough because I will never stop eating meat/dairy, no matter what you or anyone else says to me.

Soldato
No, I dont wanna try again. Yes that is my justification, I like meat, its that simple, it tastes good to me, as does milk and other dairy products. Frankly I dont really care what you think about that, its tough because I will never stop eating meat/dairy, no matter what you or anyone else says to me.

As a learned philosopher once said:

969248897c349a463c3d315253773045.jpg

Soldato
They won't carry equipment to herd cattle....

They kinda do (in a physical sense). They could use their baton in much the same way that a farmer uses a length of plastic pipe to herd cattle.

Before anyone gets all antsy - Although the pipe is used to GENTLY tap/prod the cow to get it to start moving, its mostly used to extend your arm length making it easier to guide the animal in the direction you want it to go.

The issue would be the officers involved are very unlikely to have any experience on how to actually do it.

Soldato
Well, I've asked around with a few friends of ours who are large cattle farmers and they are incredulous that the police did that, especially as it wouldn't be that effective as the cow would be hyped up on adrenaline.

And they all said, yes, if the cow was a threat to people then you'd get armed police in and shoot it, there's your not being overly sentimental @Hagar - as has happened to a farmer we know, but there's a difference with being practical than being uncaring and to continuously ram it with a car is just cruelty and causing unnecessary suffering.

Soldato
I've noticed on the tv/radio the ones who are defending the actions are doing a lot of whataboutary, to the extent they are creating imaginary scenarios where the police would be justified.

I live in a village near the moors and farm land. There is nearly always stories of sheep and cows wondering around.

I think the police in this situation had no training and little commonsense so went in brute force.

All police aren't like that. Around here they would call a farmer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Weren't their a bunch of terrified massive horses running riot in London not long ago? in the daytime no less with loads of members of the public at risk, yet no one shot the horses or rammed them did they...

Police shot a cow that was loose on a motorway several years back, so yes, they do take such action if necessary. Sometimes those resources aren't available though and just letting an incident drag out for hours on end on a busy Friday night isn't practical or safe.
Well, I've asked around with a few friends of ours who are large cattle farmers and they are incredulous that the police did that, especially as it wouldn't be that effective as the cow would be hyped up on adrenaline.

It was effective though, it subdued the animal enough for them to get it contained in a field/garden until the owner could collect it.

Soldato

Easy to say these things when youre not being forced into a slaughterhouse though isnt it.

Soldato
Oh shut up. Nobody cares about your pathetic, hypocritical whining.

You ate meat for most of your life, now you decide not to and suddenly you're absolved but everyone else is the devil incarnate?

Grow up.

I certainly won't shut up, you seem confused, im calling out the hypocrisy of people complaining about an animal being hurt, while having the body parts of animals on their plates.

Where did I call anyone the devil?

Soldato
Carnivores weren't as assured during CJD times - let him have it

The farmers do want the police to turn up and investigate when they have hardware nicked, again, from their farmyards, or the continual fly-tipping we get locally.

Soldato
The farmers do want the police to turn up and investigate when they have hardware nicked

They don't though, last two times we've had the farm raided the police didn't even bother to turn up and just issue a crime number and that's after tens of thousands of pounds of gear was stolen.

I presume they only turned up the previous time to those because our house got broken into as well and ransacked.

Soldato
Caporegime
Before anyone gets all antsy - Although the pipe is used to GENTLY tap/prod the cow to get it to start moving, its mostly used to extend your arm length making it easier to guide the animal in the direction you want it to go.
I doubt the police were aware at the time but cows can kick, if you prod one from the wrong angle your probably getting one.

Surely cop cars have a rope in the back? even a tow rope? or something similar that can form a hoop on one end with the aid of a knot

says response cars have a throw line.... theres a lasso in about 10 seconds....
the calf wouldn't struggle it just needs a guide

alternatively traffic cars carry a tow rope.

so deadly

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom