This is why people are losing respect for the police...

Soldato
It now looks more like the firearms officer was in the middle of a vicious fight rather than just kicking the **** in the head for the fun of it.
Yeah I think with the context of the cctv footage that shows the guy in the floor punching the officers only seconds before the head-kick changes things for me. He's clearly intent on using as much violence as he can against the police, and is potentially still an active danger (maybe in hindsight he wasn't, having been effectively incapacitated by the taser, but did the officer register that at the time? How sure can you be that someone will stay down after being tased?), and it's much more of a 'fight' than the officer just deciding to start kicking him out of nowhere.

The way the incident was framed initially by provocateurs made it sound like the officers just came and beat up these peaceful young men an indeterminate amount of time after some earlier altercation. But in reality they'd been viciously assaulting the police only seconds before.

If the two men had come out on top they could well have done a lot worse to the police...

It's really frustrating the way the media reported the story too. I think there should be some means of expediting release of ccvt & bodycam footage in cases like this where a false narrative has got significant traction. I understand it currently can't normally be released until after any criminal trials have concluded, but seems there should be some exceptions.

Last edited:
Soldato
At a guess it's because the first video was filmed by a member of the public whereas the newer video is from what looks like a CCTV camera... But you go ahead with your conspiracy theory angle :cry:

Perhaps better to wait for the conclusion of the IOPC investigation. If the IOPC decide it was incorrect for the officer to do that, will you still be of the opinion that he was justified?
Wouldn't surprise me if the one filming it on their phone forgot to put the opening scenes online...

Associate
In the US (and many other countries) it's very likely both the individuals involved would have likely been shot for that assault. A kick/stamp on the head is getting off lightly in that context.

Those that shared their videos understandably would have missed the initial assault, but in sharing what they did they clearly knew the narrative they were creating, unless of course they included a caveat stating what had happened prior (I haven't seen one).

Soldato
It now looks more like the firearms officer was in the middle of a vicious fight rather than just kicking the **** in the head for the fun of it.

I watched the leaked video,

Use of excessive force, including kicking in the head and seems reasonable to me, taking into account the context of what had just happened. (Police officers violently attacked, seconds before).

The guy sat on the bench, with his hands in the air - having only seconds beforehand, unloaded a flurry of punches onto an officer, use of excessive force there seems reasonable to me.

It seems ridiculous to me, they started a fight with armed police causing injuries and a violent scene, in return they got tasered, kicked in the head and beaten - then they all start playing the victim.

If that had been in the US, shots would have been fired.

Soldato
They aren't 2 seperate incidents. One caused the other.

I'm in agreement that the cop went too far, likely an emotional reaction. He should face an investigation.

But people, including you it seems, trying to take it out of context aren't helping anyone.

I was hoping for some equal moral judgement when it came to a police woman having her nose broken. But when its not convenient to the unprovoked police violence narrative suddenly people want to remove context and deny the officer was hit (the second was in reference to an X conversation).

As neutral observers we should be wanting to see a situation from all angles, not picking a side and defending it against any evidence to the contrary.
I’m not taking it out of context and have said several times in this thread that those assaulting police officers should feel the full force of the law. I haven’t defended either side I’ve condemned that actions of both and await the outcome of the relevant official processes.

Associate

Use of excessive force, including kicking in the head and seems reasonable to me, taking into account the context of what had just happened. (Police officers violently attacked, seconds before).

The guy sat on the bench, with his hands in the air - having only seconds beforehand, unloaded a flurry of punches onto an officer, use of excessive force there seems reasonable to me.

It seems ridiculous to me, they started a fight with armed police causing injuries and a violent scene, in return they got tasered, kicked in the head and beaten - then they all start playing the victim.

Deport them all. Every family member. Every single one of them are guaranteed to be bleeding the system dry. Not one of them will be a contributer.

Soldato

Policing is the US is appalling so using that as a comparison isn’t going to score you many points.

Police officers are entitled to use reasonable force to protect themselves or to detain a suspect the debate here is was the stamp reasonable force for the officer to use to deal with the threat at that time not what did the guy deserve.

Soldato
Deport them all. Every family member. Every single one of them are guaranteed to be bleeding the system dry. Not one of them will be a contributer.

Yeah, 100% - get rid of them.

Police officers are entitled to use reasonable force to protect themselves or to detain a suspect the debate here is was the stamp reasonable force for the officer to use to deal with the threat at that time not what did the guy deserve.

I think the force used was reasonable, fair and proportional.

Soldato
Policing is the US is appalling so using that as a comparison isn’t going to score you many points.

After seeing the new footage I think it was, especially as these are firearms officers at risk of potentially having their weapons taken.
The IOPC will have the last word though. It's not just in the US those thugs would have risked being shot.

Associate
Yeah I think with the context of the cctv footage that shows the guy in the floor punching the officers only seconds before the head-kick changes things for me. He's clearly intent on using as much violence as he can against the police, and is potentially still an active danger (maybe in hindsight he wasn't, having been effectively incapacitated by the taser, but did the officer register that at the time? How sure can you be that someone will stay down after being tased?), and it's much more of a 'fight' than the officer just deciding to start kicking him out of nowhere.

The way the incident was framed initially by provocateurs made it sound like the officers just came and beat up these peaceful young men an indeterminate amount of time after some earlier altercation. But in reality they'd been viciously assaulting the police only seconds before.
Can i ask you a question? Please don't take it the wrong way? Does your mum still wipe your ass and are you really as backward as you try to make out?

Caporegime
what seems to be dangling down near the officers foot within grabbing distance of the tasered guy?
is it just a radio?

You should never try to grab of restrain a police officer anyway, so I have no sympathy.

The kick seems like its in anger though more than anything, so no restraint and control over his own actions.

The stamp is just absolute overkill, maybe if it were just the one kick. I'd let it slide

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom