This is why people are losing respect for the police...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised nobody as posted this. The retiring head of police Scotland claims the force is institutionally racist. What are people's opinions of this?

Personally I don't think it is. But I would also wonder what is the purpose of publicly saying something like this if not to bring the police force in to public disrepute. Nothing constructive is coming from this. It will have a damaging impact on recruitment, especially from people from minority backgrounds.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody as posted this. The retiring head of police Scotland claims the force is institutionally racist. What are people's opinions of this?

Personally I don't think it is. But I would also wonder what is the purpose of publicly saying something like this if not to bring the police force in to public disrepute. Nothing constructive is coming from this. It will have a damaging impact on recruitment, especially from people from minority backgrounds.
The review upon which the statement was made might be relevant...

The review upon which the statement was made might be relevant...
To me institutional means that the systems in place, procedures, actively discriminate against certain people.

There are perception issues when laws are seen to be selectively enforced either for the advantage or disadvantage of certain groups.

How a crime is reported and acted on should be the responsibility of individual officers.

Unless this report is saying someone or a group of people at the top are telling officers how to enforce the law? If so, can we see the evidence?

police inspector's moment - he was leaving anyway otherwise maybe he have been kicked out like cressda - he's got two female sub-ordinates, no people of colour, not whiter than white
I'm spartacus
Police Scotland is "institutionally racist" and sexist, a report has found, as chief constable Iain Livingstone made a personal commitment to the family of Sheku Bayoh.

-------------------------------

yes makes interesting reading

- old people get more easily identified , under 20's will get away with it ... and black subjects higher false positives
maybe they need to intentionally blur the faces of those that would be more easily identified to make it fair
(True Positive Identification Rate)
The TPIR of 93 % for the oldest quartile (age 42 and over) is significantly higher than the TPIR of 89 % for those in the 20-to-41 age group. The TPIR of 83 % for the youngest quartile (the under 20’s) is significantly lower than the TPIR of 90 % for those aged 20 or over. However, it should be noted that the under-18 portion of the Cohort all attended on the busiest day of the LFR deployments and that, when the zone of recognition was crowded, the TPIR worsened. The lower performance for the under 20’s is assessed to be due to both subject and environmental factors, these being a combination of subject age and as a result subject’s height, and crowdedness in the zone of recognition leading to shorter subjects being hidden by others from the camera’s field of view

False positive identifications increase at lower face-match thresholds of 0.58 and 0.56 and start to show a statistically significant imbalance between demographics with more Black subjects having a false positive than Asian or White subjects.

As always its worth reminding people of how meaningless, nebulous and somewhat universal such allegations of 'institutional' stuff are.

Ultimately the police are tasked with a pretty unique job. Namely the use of organised violence, where necessary, to control and contain some elements of society. That will always be a daunting task and one that you will always find in hard to reach a wide consensus on as to what are the 'right' priorities and means to be employed to enforce them.

From the McPherson report

The McPherson report went to pains to state that sweeping statement could not correctly be made from its contents.

6.24 Furthermore we say with emphasis that such an accusation does not mean or imply that every police officer is guilty of racism. No such sweeping suggestion can be or should be made.

The authors of the McPherson report sought to address concerns that the use of the phrase 'institutional racism' would result in people, incorrectly, using the phrase to make sweeping statements that the staff of the MPS or the police as a whole were racist.

6.6 The phrase "institutional racism" has been the subject of much debate. We accept that there are dangers in allowing the phrase to be used in order to try to express some overall criticism of the police, or any other organisation

The commissioner of the MPS at the time, in one of his submissions to the authors of the report, raised concerns about the use of the phrase and his belief that people would misrepresent what it meant.

6.25 Sir Paul Condon himself said this in his letter to the Inquiry dated 2 October 1998:- "I recognise that individual officers can be, and are, overtly racist. I acknowledge that officers stereotype, and differential outcomes occur for Londoners. Racism in the police is much more than 'bad apples' . Racism, as you have pointed out, can occur through a lack of care and lack of understanding. The debate about defining this evil, promoted by the Inquiry, is cathartic in leading us to recognise that it can occur almost unknowingly, as a matter of neglect, in an institution. I acknowledge the danger of institutionalisation of racism. However, labels can cause more problems than they solve." Sir Paul will go thus far, but he did not accept that there is institutional racism within his force.

The authors of the report dismissed his concerns (and have clearly been proven to be wrong to do so in retrospect)

6.24 It is vital to stress that neither academic debate nor the evidence presented to us leads us to say or to conclude that an accusation that institutional racism exists in the MPS implies that the policies of the MPS are racist.
No such evidence is before us. Indeed the contrary is true. It is in the implementation of policies and in the words and actions of officers acting together that racism may become apparent. Furthermore we say with emphasis that such an accusation does not mean or imply that every police officer is guilty of racism. No such sweeping suggestion can be or should be made. The Commissioner's fears are in this respect wholly unfounded.
And the report was clear that it conclusions about 'institutional' racism were not ones that could at all be directed solely at the Police but rather ones they believed were applicable to 'institutions countrywide'.

6.39 Given the central nature of the issue we feel that it is important at once to state our conclusion that institutional racism, within the terms of its description set out in Paragraph 6.34 above, exists both in the Metropolitan Police Service and in other Police Services and other institutions countrywide.

Last edited:
You illiberals make me laugh.
Just to be clear since you did a tony and lumped me in with someone calling for violence on this guy, I don’t condone violence.

On the wider subject of ‘illiberalism’
- I don’t believe stealing dogs, entering houses, asking people if they want to die and saying they’ll do it right now, with hands in pockets as if they have a weapon should be classed as anything other than terrorism. the clue being he does it to incite terror..
- I believe in protesting, `I don’t believe that causing physical damage to other peoples properties or being disruptive it causes mayhem to the public should be tolerated, including truck driver rolling blockades, etc.
- I do believe that as long as you are within the law as long as you are keeping yourself to yourself, the government should not be too involved.
- I do believe that people should be free to voice their views, opinions and demonstrate as much as they want, have at it, I want opposing views, it really can make you think.
- I do believe it’s better to discuss and educate than ridicule, although it’s hard, as don’t always get it right, but the moment you just try to ridicule as your opening gambit, it isn‘t helpful.

please feel free respond with what you believe, if you feel Mizzy should run around with impunity, that’s fine, just say so.. In fact it would be a good follow up to discuss why it then only seems to start getting properly policed if it reaches a public outcry..

Last edited:
Just to be clear since you did a tony and lumped me in with someone calling for violence on this guy, I don’t condone violence.

On the wider subject of ‘illiberalism’
- I don’t believe stealing dogs, entering houses, asking people if they want to die and saying they’ll do it right now, with hands in pockets as if they have a weapon should be classed as anything other than terrorism. the clue being he does it to incite terror..
- I believe in protesting, `I don’t believe that causing physical damage to other peoples properties or being disruptive it causes mayhem to the public should be tolerated, including truck driver rolling blockades, etc.
- I do believe that as long as you are within the law as long as you are keeping yourself to yourself, the government should not be too involved.
- I do believe that people should be free to voice their views, opinions and demonstrate as much as they want, have at it, I want opposing views, it really can make you think.
- I do believe it’s better to discuss and educate than ridicule, although it’s hard, as don’t always get it right, but the moment you just try to ridicule as your opening gambit, it isn‘t helpful.

please feel free respond with what you believe, if you feel Mizzy should run around with impunity, that’s fine, just say so.. In fact it would be a good follow up to discuss why it then only seems to start getting properly policed if it reaches a public outcry..

To put it mildly I think that Mizzy deserves a good slap. The problem in this country is lack of funding for not only the police but all the other public services that float in that area. It isnt the fear of hurting someones feelings.

What I didnt agree with is the leftie ideology BS thing.

What I didnt agree with is the leftie ideology BS thing.
Some facts would be good.

Even back in 2019 it was revealed that there was a 73% reduction in youth custodial sentences (https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/nov/05/outcomes-children-custody-worse-decade-ago-report) with a push to not consider a custodial sentence if it was 6 months or less..

I get the point that custodial sentences don’t always work, but the assertion that essentially they are misunderstood and being let off to stay in their community is a very left wing ideology.. seemingly if you just let them off they will grow out of crime because their brains aren’t fully formed until 25.. the leftist of leftist nonsense..

And here we are with that youth allowed to run amok, that article said
The head of the Youth Justice Board for England and Wales, Charlie Taylor, made the same recommendation in 2016, but the government said doing so posed “a risk of creating perverse incentives”.

I even said I felt that was always a conspiracy theory, but with current events and seeing the unprecedented lack of respect of society and the law by Missy, I was just saying that ‘perverse incentive’ rationale for the 2016 rejection might nit be that crazy

Last edited:
In 2018, almost half of children sentenced to immediate custody were given six months or less. The latest statistics showed 71.5% of those on such short sentences went on to reoffend within a year, compared with 57.4% of children given between one and four years.

The Crest Advisory report also called for the expansion of youth offending teams up to the age of 25, after figures showed young adults aged 18-24 constituted 8.5% of the population but 16% of those in custody.

“Behavioural neuroscience studies have provided strong evidence that the typical adult male brain is not fully formed until at least the mid-20s, meaning young adult males may be more similar to children than adults in psychosocial terms. Overall, the evidence suggests that young adults are at a formative stage in their lives, and if given the right interventions that they can desist from offending and ‘grow out of crime’,” the authors claimed.

Responding to the report, the children’s commissioner for England, Anne Longfield, said the current system was failing children.

“Despite good intentions from many staff, the failure of the current system is well documented. It does not help the public they seek to protect and certainly not those young people whose lives they are failing to turn around,” she said.

It is services around young offenders not generably being fit for purpose. The prison and young offending groups are being underfunded so can only provide a skeleton service.

Its not a leftie conspiracy its underfunding and bad government from both sides.

He's probably angling for a nice chair position on some public body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom