• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Associate
Hey all, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new 2990WX build but was wondering if someone could help me out with a few questions?

When it comes to RAM are there any differences on a TR2 system compared to standard Ryzen? I'm looking at getting 64gb+ of the best/most stable RAM possible and am completely unsure of what kits to pick (apart from the standard get B-dies recommendation). I hear there are issues with running 64gb+ at high speeds on Ryzen systems?

I'm torn between the (yet to be released) MSI MEG and Aorus Extreme. The MSI claims 19 phases but appears to be 8 doubled +3 60amp phases, compared to the 10+3 50amp phases on the Aorus. I am planning to OC (stably), so the Aorus is looking like the better buy at the moment. Any thoughts?

Main use of the system will be 3D rendering for extended lengths of time (and some recreational gaming).

Ideally I'd like to purchase all parts here, so please do post up some recommendations if possible! Thanks in advance for any help.

Soldato
those might not be not enough phases 10+3 for extreme overclocking

For the love of whatever. That refers to messing about with exotic cooling.

In other words a niche of the niche that is overclocking.

I can't recall the last time anyone here was showing off a water chiller let alone dry ice or liquid nitrogen kit.

So is anything he's saying, on his channel specifically for extreme overclocking, actually relevant?

Associate
Hey all, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new 2990WX build but was wondering if someone could help me out with a few questions?

When it comes to RAM are there any differences on a TR2 system compared to standard Ryzen? I'm looking at getting 64gb+ of the best/most stable RAM possible and am completely unsure of what kits to pick (apart from the standard get B-dies recommendation). I hear there are issues with running 64gb+ at high speeds on Ryzen systems?

I'm torn between the (yet to be released) MSI MEG and Aorus Extreme. The MSI claims 19 phases but appears to be 8 doubled +3 60amp phases, compared to the 10+3 50amp phases on the Aorus. I am planning to OC (stably), so the Aorus is looking like the better buy at the moment. Any thoughts?

Main use of the system will be 3D rendering for extended lengths of time (and some recreational gaming).

Ideally I'd like to purchase all parts here, so please do post up some recommendations if possible! Thanks in advance for any help.
MEG VRM is still better, they are most likely using IR3598 which is a highend doubler, that can balance the current between the phases it is doubling from. There is no PWM controller that can control more than 8 phases on consumer boards at the moment so Gigabyte is usinga doubling scheme as well.

Associate
MEG VRM is still better, they are most likely using IR3598 which is a highend doubler, that can balance the current between the phases it is doubling from. There is no PWM controller that can control more than 8 phases on consumer boards at the moment so Gigabyte is usinga doubling scheme as well.

Found this from a bit of googling, not sure how relevant it is?

"MSI’s X399 MEG Creation is built with IR 3555 power stages for a 16+3 VRM design (doubled 8-phase), using an IR35201 and IR35204 for the PWM controllers."

I really like the front and backside heatsink designs on the Aorus too - looks like some serious overkill!

Soldato
Found this from a bit of googling, not sure how relevant it is?

"MSI’s X399 MEG Creation is built with IR 3555 power stages for a 16+3 VRM design (doubled 8-phase), using an IR35201 and IR35204 for the PWM controllers."

I really like the front and backside heatsink designs on the Aorus too - looks like some serious overkill!

The MEG is designed to push the 32 core CPU. There is nothing overkill about :D
Especially when it has the same price as the Aorus Extreme one.

Associate
When I'm running batch operations in Lightroom, browsing Chrome and running games in three Bluestacks instances - my PC is chugging..... 6700K is at 100%, Memory usage 18gb (and a Titan X Pascal)

Maybe this new threadripper will help!

Soldato

trying to get it confirmed but believe Aorus Extreme has chaned IR units to 60A and not 50A. Use two extra 50a units wouldn't of given them the increase to handle 32c well . I know of the heat out put the Aorus 7 put out with incoming TR2 and wouldn't personally use a 32 Core with it and overclock . Hopefully can get it confirmed , but believe its the same IR unit the zenith uses (IR 3555). Aorus 7 was IR 3556. would push the Xtreme to 600a instead of 500a or 400a

Permabanned
Are there going to be new motherboards? I thought they were sticking with X399 boards.

They are still X399... but at least MSI are releasing a board with a better power delivery design to take advantage of the new chips.

I'm hoping the others will follow suit.

Although it's possible it won't be necessary... one reason to wait for reviews.

I'd also really like to see one with onboard 10GbE... as my current system has that & I've now got a 10GbE network in place because of it. Can always get a card of course, I'd just rather onboard.

Soldato
They're releasing active vrm cooling "kits". Basically little fans to strap on to the vrm heats ink.
Should have just made them with active cooling in the first place. (like evga dark).

Permabanned
They're releasing active vrm cooling "kits". Basically little fans to strap on to the vrm heats ink.
Should have just made them with active cooling in the first place. (like evga dark).

No... sod active cooling... I like a quiet PC. Those teeny tiny fans they stick on VRMs make a horrible high pitched noise.

If that's their solution, then I won't be buying.

Back
Top Bottom