• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Associate
The 24C/48T 2970WX at $1,400 is around the cost of AMD's and Intel's $1,000 CPUs from 2006 when inflation adjusted which were only marginally better than CPUs less than half their price when over-clocked.
These CPUs really make sense in a way that those rip-offs never did albeit they are of niche interest.
Imagine if AMD could do something similar with GPUs as I think there would be much more real interest (i.e. actual buyers) there as enthusiasts tend to feel more GPU bound than CPU bound.
That's asking too much but AMD are on such a roll that they might have to open a bakery. :)

Soldato
Maybe, maybe not.

I'll only truly be sold when they can beat the single core performance on my 5.2GHz 8700k ;)

Epic single core performance & 32 cores = dream chip.

It's good work though & the 32-cores will be wonderful for rendering/etc

Your 8700 isn't a professional cpu. For professionals then the Threadripper 2 is a price blockbuster compared to Intel. That is what I was referring to by spanking Intel :)

Soldato
The 24C/48T 2970WX at $1,400 is around the cost of AMD's and Intel's $1,000 CPUs from 2006 when inflation adjusted which were only marginally better than CPUs less than half their price when over-clocked.
These CPUs really make sense in a way that those rip-offs never did albeit they are of niche interest.
Imagine if AMD could do something similar with GPUs as I think there would be much more real interest (i.e. actual buyers) there as enthusiasts tend to feel more GPU bound than CPU bound.
That's asking too much but AMD are on such a roll that they might have to open a bakery. :)

AMD is selling very well their Vega Instincts cards. They are way cheaper than the Nvidia V100 Tesla, on better node (12nm over 16nm), much more powerful on the non VRAM bound operations and no requirements for separate linking connectors and licences (yes you pay those extra on NV). All goes through the motherboard.
And already now they are getting out more powerful 7nm Instict cards.

Associate
AMD is selling very well their Vega Instincts cards. They are way cheaper than the Nvidia V100 Tesla, on better node (12nm over 16nm), much more powerful on the non VRAM bound operations and no requirements for separate linking connectors and licences (yes you pay those extra on NV). All goes through the motherboard.
And already now they are getting out more powerful 7nm Instict cards.
I was thinking consumer but thanks for the info as I don't see much said about their Pro/HTPC cards so will take a look.

Soldato
I was thinking consumer but thanks for the info as I don't see much said about their Pro/HTPC cards so will take a look.
The big money are on server markets where both Ryzen and Vega were designed for.
Also there was an article few months back, that an exceptional big amount of Vega GPUs went to the entertainment industry.
Because of it's price and computing power.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Preorders are up.

No links for obv reasons

My heart is telling me to get a 2990wx but my brain is saying a 2970wx would be adequate.

Waiting this time 'til first price round of price drops - 16 cores will do me fine for now :)

Soldato
Question...
With thread ripper now being a 32 core monster. Doesn't this muddy the waters with Epyc? How is that differentiating itself?

There's no benches for TR2 yet and it has a different memory arrangement to Epyc (two dies have direct memory access, 2 are compute only and talk to system ram via the adjacent dies over Infinity Fabric) as well as less PCIe lanes (64 vs 128). There's a lot of variables but Epyc definitely still as it's edge where AMD are positioning it, not to mention validation.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Question...
With thread ripper now being a 32 core monster. Doesn't this muddy the waters with Epyc? How is that differentiating itself?

Quad vs eight channel ram, EPYC has lower power, EPYC has direct connection to infinity fabric for each CCX (meaning mem bandwidth instensive processes on EPYC will have less latency - think database builds), higher mem capacity for EPYC (4tb vs 2tb), more pciex lanes on Epyc (128 vs 64), dual cpu boards for EPYC (none for TR).

EPYC is bleeding edge in the server space and TR is bleeding edge in the HEDT space - still plenty of differentiation between the two markets.

Soldato
Nice price for the 32 core.
It doesn't seem long ago we got Intel X299 and if memory serves me well we had Intel saying it would be a max of 10 core for the socket, oh, and the 10 core was > £1000. How times have changed. Not only do we now have 32 cores for £16**, we have Intel having released higher core count CPUs for X299 than what I believe was originally planned.
I bought a 1950X last year as I felt AMD deserved my money for at least giving Intel a bit of a push for one reason (as well as other reasons). Glad I did, it's been awesome too. I hope others will take the plunge this time with these improved CPU's.
I still have my old 6700K system and having run some comparisons with that there was nothing in it either when it came to gaming at 1440P.

I'm not AMD's biggest fan either (had some disappointments in the past) but on the CPU side of things and today (vs my previous experience) I have to say fantastic work AMD!

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice price for the 32 core.
It doesn't seem long ago we got Intel X299 and if memory serves me well we had Intel saying it would be a max of 10 core for the socket, oh, and the 10 core was > £1000. How times have changed. Not only do we now have 32 cores for £16**, we have Intel having released higher core count CPUs for X299 than what I believe was originally planned.
I bought a 1950X last year as I felt AMD deserved my money for at least giving Intel a bit of a push for one reason (as well as other reasons). Glad I did, it's been awesome too. I hope others will take the plunge this time with these improved CPU's.

Yeah. Intel had only announced a 10 core CPU for weeks ahead of the event. Until AMD came out with the Threadripper.
Then Intel had to scramble to overclock Xeon server CPUs for the market including the 18 core, delaying them for months to make the products.

Back
Top Bottom