Tomb Raider 2: Rise of the Tomb Raider Announced

Soldato
I very much doubt they are gutted as it would have sold well on PS4 and it's hardly been a flop it's one of the best games this generation if not the best tbh.... I imagine Crystal Dynamics have lost nothing in the deal and it's MS who have taken the hit which tbh is no big deal for them.

Unfortunately Sony do not have the financial backing of MS.

MS aren't a charity and they pay for exclusives to get extra sales / support for their platform which hasn't happened - this makes no difference to Sony.

If this game is the best Xbone has to offer and people arent buying then that is a disaster for MS.

Soldato
It's a shame as Unchartered will no doubt sell like crazy, but it's a poor game in comparison :(

Exclusive periods are just silly

Uncharted 4 is not out so how do you know it's a poor game in comparison? Unless you are again comparing to games that are 4 years old :p.

Also the good pre order figures are nonsense, I work in the retail sector for a large retailer and I can tell you that they were nothing compared to the big hitters and even some other exclusives this year so far.

Exclusive periods are not that silly, it certainly gives Microsoft something to challenge Sony's Uncharted series and gives them a game that has reviewed really well. Yes, they are annoying if you don't have that particular console. I don't think Microsoft will be worrying about that money they spent, fair enough the initial figures are not great but they have what most would consider another AAA title that is only on Xbox One to add to an impressive library of games.

It's still a win for Microsoft in my eyes as Sony would love to have this on the PlayStation.

This game is basically my Christmas day viewing as it's a gift for the GF but also benefits me.... :D

Soldato
So why do Sony have the marketing rights for the majority of the big games this holiday period then? You think getting DLC exclusivity rights for COD is cheap?

From figures I've seen halo 5 + tr haven't even sold what fallout 4 sold on ps4. And Sony has two of the biggest fps yet the ps4 mindshare is so big I doubt they need those deals. Sony are making a good profit on the PlayStation brand, the tr deal with MS and square has from all accounts not worked out... Square would have been better off going with Sony and still releasing on all major platforms..

The star wars and cod deals benefit all , as Sony does the marketing push but least those without a ps4 still get to play the games...

The tr lock out meant folks have to wait of they don't have an x1. But by the time it his ps4 everyone will have forgot about this game... This was one deal that has from all accounts really not worked out... Shame

Soldato
MS aren't a charity and they pay for exclusives to get extra sales / support for their platform which hasn't happened - this makes no difference to Sony.

If this game is the best Xbone has to offer and people arent buying then that is a disaster for MS.

No they are not but they can take bigger risks financially. They have stopped Sony getting sales from Tomb Raider which in their eyes is a good thing as tbh it would have sold well on PS4.

Soldato
It's a shame as Unchartered will no doubt sell like crazy, but it's a poor game in comparison :(

I disagree. They are both great in their different ways. Other than the hanging from ledges bit and the odd puzzle - which bizarrely are optional in TR - the two series are quite different now. I've just completed the UC collection and I've put a good few hours into this. Tomb Raider is far more an open game and the collecting and crafting is more akin to AC or Farcry than anything else. If you just stick to the story then it can feel a lot more linear, I guess. I like exploring and crafting and upgrading. Hate it when I can't get through a door!

Uncharted 4 will be awesome, though. No doubt in my mind.

Soldato
From figures I've seen halo 5 + tr haven't even sold what fallout 4 sold on ps4.

Fallout 4 was a huge release, Halo 5 sold quite well to be honest but the PS4 has a huge install base. If anything Halo 5 and TR are designed to incase the userbase of the X1.

The tr lock out meant folks have to wait of they don't have an x1. But by the time it his ps4 everyone will have forgot about this game... This was one deal that has from all accounts really not worked out... Shame

I don't see how it hasn't worked out. I have the PS4 and the X1 and ultimately, I need to get this on the X1 due to it not being on Sony's console. This has reviewed well and the feedback from gamers have been really positive, I don't think this will die overnight.

Man of Honour
Yeah that's what I love about this one, in the last Tomb Raider the collecting very much felt like something you'd do after you finished the game, but this one it's done in a way that makes you want to do it the whole time.

I finished the game in 26 hours play time. And the story could easily be done in 8-9 hours, but I loved exploring and making sure I levelled as much as I could. Even just enjoying the surroundings as it looked so beautiful.

I never enjoyed the last two Unchartered games, the first one was good but then it just seems to be about impressive set pieces rather than building on the gameplay. I will definitely get 4 in the hope they pull it out the bag, but I can't see it from the demos they've shown so far where again, it's looked to follow the trend of the last two

Soldato
Fallout 4 was a huge release, Halo 5 sold quite well to be honest but the PS4 has a huge install base. If anything Halo 5 and TR are designed to incase the userbase of the X1.

I don't see how it hasn't worked out. I have the PS4 and the X1 and ultimately, I need to get this on the X1 due to it not being on Sony's console. This has reviewed well and the feedback from gamers have been really positive, I don't think this will die overnight.

I don't have an x1 yet I have no desire to buy one for tr. And I'm assuming I'm not the only one.. You have both consoles already, so its easy for you. But dedicated tr fans that have capable PC systems or ps4 either have to now wait or buy a console to play it now.... And £259 + to play a single game is a bit much IMO.

Man of Honour
Back on topic about the gameplay a second, does anyone know what on earth the cards are for you unlock in the market place?

I've gotten about 6 packs through playing the game, opened them all and got a load of cards but no idea what I'm doing with them

Bit late now as I've finished the game, but would be good for the next playthrough

Also, the collectors edition...Want to buy, is it only available from the square enix site?

Last edited:
Soldato
No they are not but they can take bigger risks financially. They have stopped Sony getting sales from Tomb Raider which in their eyes is a good thing as tbh it would have sold well on PS4.

This will still sell better on PS4 so Sony will still get the cash - however you spin it this is not good news for MS.

Soldato
I get the unlock messages but I haven't checked the marketplace yet. So, no clue!

Yeah that's what I love about this one, in the last Tomb Raider the collecting very much felt like something you'd do after you finished the game, but this one it's done in a way that makes you want to do it the whole time.

Definitely. In the first just before when I had finished the campaign I told myself I would go back and collect everything. In the end I couldn't be bothered. They've got a better handle on the crafting now and yeah I am expecting to get 20+ hours out of it.

Soldato
Its simple really if you want to play one of the best games this generation both Visually and gameplay wise you need an XboxOne to do it at the moment.

If it was released on both I would have more than likely gone PS4 as I do with most multi platform releases.

I think MS have a good strategy with this on Xbox as they do have a very good lineup this Xmas and without upsetting the die hard Sony fans it's a better lineup than the PS4....

Soldato
Back on topic about the gameplay a second, does anyone know what on earth the cards are for you unlock in the market place?

I've gotten about 6 packs through playing the game, opened them all and got a load of cards but no idea what I'm doing with them

Bit late now as I've finished the game, but would be good for the next playthrough

Also, the collectors edition...Want to buy, is it only available from the square enix site?

They are for the challenge modes I think....

Associate
Hows the frame rate holding up ?

I loved the first one on PC, and really want to play this on my Xbox One but bit concerned it being 30fps will spoil my enjoyment, although really not sure I want to wait until "possibly" Q1/Q2 next year when the PC version comes out.

Serious question, I'm not trying to start a 30fps/60fps argument :) Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom