Tomb Raider I - III remaster

Soldato
Finished tomb raider 1 onto 2 now

I enjoyed the first half of 1, but became a bit of a slog towards the end and boring levels in the 2nd half. 2 switches it up with different level design but the combat is awful and it has way too much combat

Last edited:
Soldato
Stop what? The camera is demonstrably unusable when in corridors, tunnels and backed up against a wall as it spazzes out and/or obscures the floor, which kind of is a big deal considering the grid system to position Lara is the main game mechanic.

Hence why having mouse look when in tank controls would be a best of both worlds scenario as the auto camera move and position in tank controls is much better than modern controls.
The camera definitely changed between OG game and modern and not for the better its quite wild at times and doesn't return to default quickly enough which is essential for tight spaces. OG game had to have that as the first PSX controls were digital only with no analogue sticks

Tried the obstacle course in the mansion, very hard with either controls, maybe I'm just not used to tank controls they're probably what's needed for the slow movements, the modern controls too twitchy have you falling over edges.
The tank controls are fine in that they allow the correct and straightforward control for the 4 times of jump but general movement is poor thats where modern is better but lacks the straightforwardness of setting up jumps. Ideally a combination of the two would be the solution but I'm still looking for that

Ok just trying it now modern controls are useless for jumps you cannot flip sideways/backward and you cannot "tap backwards" to set up forward jumps. Useless as the grid based system makes lining up jumps correctly absolutely essential.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just beginning Atlantis now (so 1 more level to go after this I think). Still never tried the new controls as the old muscle memory kicked in almost straight away. It's been a real nostalgia trip, particularly the awesome soundtrack. I've found it a much less daunting and even a relaxing experience this time around (probably to do with being 44 now vs 17 when I first played it). I've gotten so used to the slower pace that when I went back to Bioshock Infinite that I'd been playing through again (it's my go to game when I can't get in to anything else), I couldn't play it! I'd been playing on hard the week before and was about 3/4 through the game when I came to a pretty full on combat sequence - the pace was so fast I just turned it off again! Granted I was really tired that day but the contrast in pace was nuts.

Associate
OP
The lead dev has mentioned that they are working on a patch with issues collated from feedback. They don't go into detail about specific fixes or timescales though.

I'm up to 40 Fathoms on TR2 now. Its been a great memory trip so far. I've had a couple of times where music has played and its given me a really strange sense of being a kid playing TR again. Similar to the memories you can invoke with smells that transport you back to another place/time.

Last edited:
Associate
Agreed about the music. When sort of lute style music kicked in on the first or second level running around the cave area it was like I was 8 years old again on my PS1. I played TR1 to death and a lot of TR2/3 but being so young at the time i did a lot of walk through guides and cheat codes when I got stuck :D. I remember having all the levels unlocked and all weapons etc. TR3 I can't recall much of except the start jungle, some ice area (antaarctica?) and a prison? But TR1 playing at the minute I remember nearly it all room for room.

Associate
I'm so glad they kept all the original elements of this game and kept it pretty a much straight up copy but for modern hardware. Playing @ 60+ fps and with modern controls is the icing on the cake.

I do like the newer tomb raiders since Crystal Dynamics took over, but they are no way near as good as the originals. I've been waiting a lifetime for this to happen.

Now I just need Onimusha 2 + 3 to be released by Capcom and I can die happy. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm up to Tibeten Foothills in TR2. The Deck could have done with a little more tlc when it came to remaking textures and models. Missed opportunities with things like wall lights still being baked into the wall textures. I'm nit-picking though, it's been fantastic!

Associate
OP

It's really strange, I could understand differences across different consoles but not across different game launchers on the same platform. It must have had different builds pushed. It seems the Epic Games one is a slightly more polished build - very strange.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Has a patch been confirmed?

Yes, 'in the next few weeks'.

Associate
OP
I don't think it will significantly alter any enjoyment.

I"ve been playing on the Switch but if i'd have known 60+fps and ultrawide were supported before release I'd have bought it on Steam.

Back
Top Bottom