Total War: Warhammer 2

Soldato
I love the series, i would say shogun 2 is the easiest out the series to learn. warhammer is amazing and still quite easy to learn, ask questions on here and ill happily answer, you can always add me on steam if you want, steam name same as forum name.

I got a while to decide, also I forgot but I got Shogun 2 for free for some promo thing a few weeks back so I could install that and see if I enjoy the style.

Soldato
Helstorm Rockets are great. But Dwarf Master Engineers take Dwarf artillery to the next level. At one point you could hit instant reload on your artillery by stacking 6 Engineers :p You'd also out-range any other artillery, have close to pinpoint accuracy, and a crazy amount of ammo.

They've since nerfed that, but you can still stack (IIRC) two Engineers, which is bad enough :D Skaven have a similar hero too.

Personally, I'd put the Dwarfs top. I've heard Skaven (Ikit Claw) are second (starting this campaign this evening). Third is either Empire or Vampire Coast, depending on whether you count a Necrofex doomstack with HRH Queen Bess for support, as an artillery army.

Last edited:
Soldato
Artillery is all good until you come against mass Bret cav stacks or the bloody wood elves.

Then again I think wood elves melt anything.

Soldato
Wood Elves are crazy :D

One of my mates is terrible at map management. On the occasions I fancy an easy win, I'll run a full stack of Waywatchers. He hasn't got a hope in hell. I remember last time he was so proud because his cavalry routed a chunk (probably a good third) of my army. He was completely oblivious to the fact the other 12 units of Waywatchers had obliterated the rest of his army and then disappeared :p

Last edited:
Soldato
My Norse normal campaign has suddenly turned into easy mode :p

Just defeated the Chaos invasion.

I have a struggling with all the cav stacks but the vampires have wiped them out for me.

Going to work on my monster hunter book while wiping out the vamps and I also need to put the DE back in their place.

Soldato
I've watched some videos and decided to jump in, I want to take advantage of the £5 off 30£ spend so which DLC's are the must haves, I don't want to spend fifty quid and get the lot.

Soldato
I've watched some videos and decided to jump in, I want to take advantage of the £5 off 30£ spend so which DLC's are the must haves, I don't want to spend fifty quid and get the lot.

I own all DLC, only 1 I didn't really enjoy is the Beastmen.

If I had to pick 1 to buy though, it would definately be The Prophet & The Warlock.

It unlocks some great Skaven units, Ikit is so much fun to play.

tumblr_prtnn6odY01r2to8go1_400.gifv

Tehenhauin has a much harder start, but can be satisfying to play once you get the ball rolling.

:p

Soldato

Ok so I did that one, Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings thats £27.06

I just saw this:
Total War: WARHAMMER II – Mortal Empires

This content is a massive free expansion to owners of both Total War: WARHAMMER & Total War: WARHAMMER II, and requires ownership of both games to play.

• A new grand scale campaign set across the Old World and the New World.
  • Play as any Legendary Lord from both games and any owned DLC.
  • Thousands of hours of gameplay.
  • 295 conquerable settlements.
  • 117 starting factions.
  • Up to 35 playable Legendary Lords.
  • Free to owners of both Total War: WARHAMMER & Total War: WARHAMMER II.
So if I pay £10 for the first game too I get all of the above which I can play in WH2? If so why would I bother with the dlc

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so I did that one, Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings thats £27.06

I just saw this:
So if I pay £10 for the first game too I get all of the above which I can play in WH2? If so why would I bother with the dlc

If you buy the first and second game, you'll get to play the following races in Mortal Empires:
  • The Empire
  • Dwarfs
  • Greenskins
  • Vampire Counts
  • High Elves
  • Dark Elves
  • Lizardmen
  • Skaven
The following races are all DLC:
  • Chaos Warriors
  • Wood Elves
  • Beastmen
  • Norsca
  • Tomb Kings
  • Vampire Coast
There's also a bunch of Lord packs, which unlock Legendary Lords and some extra units for the campaign. Some of them are free.

There's a lot of content without buying any DLC. And all of the DLC is in the game whether you buy it or not (buying the DLC just unlocks it for your use) so you don't really need to buy any. But if you're spending £23.58 on the two base games, you may as well round that up to ~£30 and get the £5 off. If there's nothing else you want on Steam, nab The Prophet & The Warlock plus The King & The Warlord/The Queen & The Crone/Norsca, or either of Vampire Coast or Tomb Kings.

Soldato
If you buy the first and second game, you'll get to play the following races in Mortal Empires:
  • The Empire
  • Dwarfs
  • Greenskins
  • Vampire Counts
  • High Elves
  • Dark Elves
  • Lizardmen
  • Skaven
The following races are all DLC:
  • Chaos Warriors
  • Wood Elves
  • Beastmen
  • Norsca
  • Tomb Kings
  • Vampire Coast
There's also a bunch of Lord packs, which unlock Legendary Lords and some extra units for the campaign. Some of them are free.

There's a lot of content without buying any DLC. And all of the DLC is in the game whether you buy it or not (buying the DLC just unlocks it for your use) so you don't really need to buy any. But if you're spending £23.58 on the two base games, you may as well round that up to ~£30 and get the £5 off. If there's nothing else you want on Steam, nab The Prophet & The Warlock plus The King & The Warlord/The Queen & The Crone/Norsca, or either of Vampire Coast or Tomb Kings.

Thank you for that! I am a bit wary of being overwhelmed with so much content that I won't even know where to start. Does each race have it's own campaign then? I've never played a TW game so it's all alien to me and the amount of content seems insane.

Soldato
Thank you for that! I am a bit wary of being overwhelmed with so much content that I won't even know where to start. Does each race have it's own campaign then? I've never played a TW game so it's all alien to me and the amount of content seems insane.

In the second game, there are only two campaigns.

Vortex - the main campaign. Takes place across three contents, with the main races being High Elves, Dark Elves, Skaven, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, and Vampire Coast. The first four races share essentially the same victory conditions; they're racing to take control of a magical vortex. Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast have different victory conditions. Some recent Lord Packs have added Old World races to the Vortex campaign (e.g. Huntmarshal's Expedition, Repanse de Lyonese, Grom The Paunch).

Mortal Empires - outlined above.

The first game had the main campaign and two DLC campaigns (Wood Elves and Beastmen).

Personally, I'd avoid using the DLC until you've learnt the ropes. The developers designed it for existing players really, and much of it introduces new game mechanics you simply don't need to be worrying about when starting out. For a first play through, I'd go with Thorgrim Grudgebearer (Dwarfs) or Grimgor Ironfist (Greenskins) in the Mortal Empires campaign, as both races are relatively simple. Or for Vortex (much shorter campaign than ME) Tyrion, as High Elves are also relatively simple until later in the campaign.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dwarfs or maybe the Empire are good starting factions.

Dwarfs are very defensive and tough as nails with good melee and ranged options.

Associate
I'd definitely recommend buying the first instalment for the extra factions in Mortal Empires, I've been playing regularly since December and not really been tempted by any of the other expansions yet.

Soldato
I didn't get on with it sadly. I got hoodwinked by all the nice screenshots not realising you are pretty much forced to zoom all the way out and play army ants to have any real chance. I'm glad I tried it though, I think I probably prefer strategy on a smaller scale/simpler like AOE. that said, I do enjoy 4x games like Stellaris/Endless Space.

Soldato
Depending on how the battle goes I will usually start out zoomed out a tad then when the lines have met zoom in now and again to watch some carnage.

Just downloaded the prophet and the warlock.

Them skaven nukes...wow.

Soldato
I can't decide which I love more; Rattling Guns or Warpfire Throwers.

Only grumble I have with Skryre is that by the time I've added enough Weapons Teams, War Machines, and Artillery to the army, there's little room for melee infantry. It feels a bit un-Skaven-y to have a tiny army. I might play around with unit sizes, prices, recruitment times etc. to see if I can change that. In my head, I feel like they should be fielding large numbers of Slaves and then not worrying about the friendly fire cost; they're only there to slow the enemy down.

Caporegime
Only grumble I have with Skryre is that by the time I've added enough Weapons Teams, War Machines, and Artillery to the army, there's little room for melee infantry. It feels a bit un-Skaven-y to have a tiny army.

Build a second army full of slaves/clanrats and take them around the map together. :)

Soldato
Build a second army full of slaves/clanrats and take them around the map together. :)

But then it would be more effective having two stacks of the big stuff :D

Haven't modded a TW game since Shogun II. Thinking I'll play around with unit sizes, cost, and strength. Maybe double the size of ratling gunners and warpfire throwers, make jazzails more powerful, give the machines higher defence, but up the cost and recruitment time of all of these units (thinking maybe 2.5x?). Then on the other side of things, up the unit size of Slaves/Clanrats and drop their stats a bit to compensate. Should allow much larger armies without making them too much more deadly. Only thing that concerns me about doing that is the army loss penalty hitting the shooty stuff just because a couple of thousand Slaves died. Will have to see if there's a way around this without adding the "Unbreakable" trait.

Back
Top Bottom