Type R and VTEC owners

Caporegime
ruddy hell guys

im 100 miles into this tank in the FN2 and it estimates i'll get 400 - averaging 34mpg.. last few tanks have been 370-380

masadvert.jpg

Soldato
I can't help but think that either the EP3 has a really small fuel tank or you lot just have heavy right feet :p An average 45 litre fill will normally last me ~320 miles.

Mine seems to have settled down to between 300 and 340, depending on hoon factor. I'm sure a taller 6th would net me a good saving though.

Soldato
Does anyone else have an EP3 that makes a quiet 'woo woo woo woo woo...' noise, regardless of temperature that increases in frequency/pitch as road speed increases? Road/engine noise drown it out, and it's most noticeable from 25-35MPH.

Mine has done it for 4 years, and 2 Honda garages and my usual mechanic have been unable to diagnose, so it's nothing obvious. It's not got any worse over the years and there are no ill effects at all, so doesn't seem to be a wheel bearing something similar.

That could quite easily be a wheel bearing, they can go on for many thousands of miles making a noise with no other effects.

Associate
Off topic slightly

No. K20 series will top out at 40 mpg if you drive at 60 mph and are really really careful, but most normal people doing 70-80 mph will see around 25 mpg. The K24 in the Accord sport will do just under this due to being a slightly larger lump (albeit with longer gear ratio's). Most K series will average around 28-30 mog, and do around 25 mpg in town driving.

I'm unsure if the Accord Sport came with an auto option, but someone in work had a tourer 2.4 petrol Accord and he struggled getting 30 out of it. Thirsty beasts.

My K20A3 disagrees with you. Motorway@ 70 with cruise control on is definately higher than that. Real world tends to be 42-45 with indicated being as high as 48. I get 35 measured/real world on my normal a road blast to work and I work the full rev range every drive; indicated being 38. Recently averaged 38 on a run to Devon from Chichester.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Hit 300 miles on the current tank and got 3 lights left on the fuel gauge, no idea how much that actually means :)

Man of Honour
OP
Off topic slightly

My K20A3 disagrees with you. Motorway@ 70 with cruise control on is definately higher than that. Real world tends to be 42-45 with indicated being as high as 48. I get 35 measured/real world on my normal a road blast to work and I work the full rev range every drive; indicated being 38. Recently averaged 38 on a run to Devon from Chichester.
Fair play. It is probably due to the longer gearing than in typical boxes attached to the K20. I'm talking more about the performance orientated K20 series engines such as the K20A, K20A2 and K20Z2, K20Z4 etc etc..

Associate
Fair play. It is probably due to the longer gearing than in typical boxes attached to the K20. I'm talking more about the performance orientated K20 series engines such as the K20A, K20A2 and K20Z2, K20Z4 etc etc..

Not strictly Vtec either, more I-vtec. Only has it on the exhaust cam and kicks in at 2400rpm :( and as you say 5 speed :( I really wanted an EP3 but wasn't allowed due to kids and number of doors *grumbles*

Man of Honour
OP
Not sure why I put K20Z2 in that list.

Anyway, all K series are i-VTEC. And I'm pretty sure on your car it's the intake cam not exhaust cam that it operates on.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure why I put K20Z2 in that list.

Anyway, all K series are i-VTEC. And I'm pretty sure on your car it's the intake cam not exhaust cam that it operates on.

Yep you are right, don't know why I thought exhaust - doh. And yep on the I-VTEC; am sure I have heard it mentioned as E I-VTEC or something similar before. No oil squirters either apparently.

http://www.hondata.com/techk20general.html

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
right then, as I needed to sell the K&N Typhoon that came fitted to my car, I decided to put my stock airbox on for the time being.

the K&N can be sold online and funds go towards a GruppeM/TegiwaM intake.

The stock airbox would not have been allowed so I got my Dremel out and cut the inside of the airbox out.

like this

http://www.hondata.com/techkseriesairboxmod.html

20 minute job, well easy and ideal for anyone not looking to change the stock airbox

car sounds a lot quieter than it did with the open cone and there is no noticeable vtec crossover noise wise, but power seems to be about the same really. will see how it progresses when I have had a proper drive in it rather than just a quick blat around the country lanes I live on

Soldato
Goy my race header and flashpro remap done now. Next up is RRC/FD2 TB and FD2 or TDI drop in cams. Also got rid of my HKS and got a CPL CAI, waaaaaay better. Enjoyed spooning past a Type R Breadvan earlier.

Soldato
Well of course, but were on about the fuel usage of Type R's matey.

oh good, im in the right place talking about the right car then :)

admittedly those 100 miles were mostly on the motorway and a few drives to and from work on country roads in traffic which didnt allow much fun... but you must be driving the absolute breasticles off of them to be getting low 20's

Back
Top Bottom