Ubisoft deactivating keys it says were "fraudulently" obtained and resold

Soldato
They're refunding customers because Ubi are removing the games :confused:.

I'd be very surprised if the law agrees with you and Ubi.

May I ask, what company does refunds when it does nothing wrong? They're refunding because they know the keys are shoddy.

The whining in this thread is unbelieveable, Ubisoft has plenty of skeletons in their closet but this time they're correct.

Caporegime
May I ask, what company does refunds when it does nothing wrong? They're refunding because they know the keys are shoddy.

The whining in this thread is unbelieveable, Ubisoft has plenty of skeletons in their closet but this time they're correct.

so if you go on holiday to America and buy some ralph lauren stuff cheap over there and bring it home, would you say its perfectly acceptable for ralph lauren to come over and burn your clothes because you violated their regional pricing?

Soldato
May I ask, what company does refunds when it does nothing wrong?

I bought a Toaster in Tesco's a couple of weeks ago but afterwards I decided that I didn't want it so I took it back and they gave me a refund. There was nothing wrong with it...

I think the point is companies want to keep loyal customers, they will refund you and hope that the gesture will be rewarded with more purchases. In the meantime they have the right to take the case to the company causing the issue or supplier and recover their costs.

Soldato
Given the cluster**** that is Ubisoft these days, what they are doing here may actually be illegal. I say may, I have no idea :o

Also, I know piracy talk is frowned on in here, but come on. Who in their right mind would buy any Ubisoft game in future now after this?

Soldato
so if you go on holiday to America and buy some ralph lauren stuff cheap over there and bring it home, would you say its perfectly acceptable for ralph lauren to come over and burn your clothes because you violated their regional pricing?

You didn't go to America in this case. You ordered the Ralph Lauren stuff through an unauthorised online reseller and you dodged some taxes in the process.

I bought a Toaster in Tesco's a couple of weeks ago but afterwards I decided that I didn't want it so I took it back and they gave me a refund. There was nothing wrong with it...

I think the point is companies want to keep loyal customers, they will refund you and hope that the gesture will be rewarded with more purchases. In the meantime they have the right to take the case to the company causing the issue or supplier and recover their costs.

A game is not a toaster... Who in their right mind would buy most games and keep them if they had the option to return them in 30 days? Play it, go through the content, return it, get the next game. You could play thousands of games and pay only once.

Also, I know piracy talk is frowned on in here, but come on. Who in their right mind would buy any Ubisoft game in future now after this?

Anyone who has half a brain would as this has nothing to do with Ubisoft, most online shops (including Steam) have regional prices.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought a Toaster in :mad:TESCO:mad: a couple of weeks ago but afterwards I decided that I didn't want it so I took it back and they gave me a refund. There was nothing wrong with it...

I would expect that they'd rather take a loss on this for the short term rather than lose a load of customers in the long term.

Ubisoft has no grounds to actually take these games away from people, regardless of whether they contravene Ubisoft terms or not.

A company should not have any control over its products once they've been sold for the first time except for support purposes. It doesn't make any sense at all for them to think they can do what they like just because they don't like what others are doing.

What I find even more concerning is the people who are so quick to suggest that Ubisoft are well within their rights to do so.

Soldato

The keys came from Ubisoft. Ubisoft sold them at some point to someone, do you believe they they are issuing refunds to the parties they sold those keys to? As IF they are, and you full well know they're not.

They're not correct, no.

Soldato
I would expect that they'd rather take a loss on this for the short term rather than lose a load of customers in the long term.

Ubisoft has no grounds to actually take these games away from people, regardless of whether they contravene Ubisoft terms or not.

A company should not have any control over its products once they've been sold for the first time except for support purposes. It doesn't make any sense at all for them to think they can do what they like just because they don't like what others are doing.

What I find even more concerning is the people who are so quick to suggest that Ubisoft are well within their rights to do so.

Spot on!

Associate
good thing i don't buy any ubisoft games anymore, but i feel for the people that have had their games removed. (saying that i got a gifted crew code from a friend in switzerland, that's probably gone now :p ).

so ubisoft is saying the keys they banned were fraudulent or whatever.
if I buy a key from G2A for example (like i do a lot) how am i supposed to know when a keys is fraudulent and i highly doubt the keys G2A sells are stolen. i mean most streamers are now partnered with them so you get the standard 3% off codes.
If indeed it is true that G2A would sell stolen keys surely this would have come out sooner? Also if keys are stolen or bought with fake credit cards surely a company as big as Ubisoft would blacklist the keys right away.
Now if people use VPNs to gain access to cheaper games then this i could understand as the consumer is going out of it's way to gain access to cheap games by pretending he or she is in another country, but when buying a game key of one of the bigger key sites how are people supposed to know where that key has come from, it is not stated and thus the consumer should be more protected rather than just removed the game from the consumers library!

I'm certainly done with buying games from ubisoft and have never bought directly from uplay at their inflated prices.

TLDR
ubisoft messed up big time and i hope they don't recover from this :p

Soldato
Anyone who has half a brain would as this has nothing to do with Ubisoft, most online shops (including Steam) have regional prices.

I only have a third of a brain. The rest has been addled by heroin and geese, so that's not very nice of you to say.

Does no-one else actually find this a tad scary? Perhaps scary is the wrong word. A portent of worrying things to come in the overly intrusive digital age perhaps?

Flip back 10-15 years, all the talk of new digital delivery, and the birth of Steam. Lots of people saying great, quick and easy access to all my games! Lots of nay-sayers though wanting to hold on to their shiny disc hard copies bought with hard earned cash.

Imagine back then saying that you might legitimately buy a game online, you get a 'key' and all is good. But then out of the blue the developer might simply remove the thing you purchased, with absolutely no warning, leaving you with nothing, when you as the end customer did absolutely nothing 'wrong'.

I'm feeling a bit tech paranoid at the moment as I'm reading a book called the Circle. Highly recommend it by the way.

Soldato
Considering the keys activate through uPlay, their own service, they have control. If someone buys a Steam key from a GAME store then begins to cheat online Valve has every right to ban them from playing that game. Also, I highly doubt Ubisoft want to be implicated in allowing keys to be used if they were originally bought using stolen credit cards etc.

Soldato
I think what's happened is that Ubisoft has decided to try and push up the standard retail price of a game to match their higher console prices. They've used a clause in their licences (in itself a dodge around consumer law), to close down cheap resellers who were using the internet to sell all over the world. Ubisoft hope to drive every potential customer to their own online service and get everyone to pay full RRP.

What will happen is those people that were happy to shop around and pay less for a game will either stop buying Ubisoft games, or turn to piracy (especially if they've just had a licence cancelled). Instead of getting some money, Ubisoft will get no money from those people.

Ubisoft should have ensured that these licences never got activated in the first instance, not decide after the fact that they were going to take away the games that people have been playing for months. Ubisoft just didn't like not getting all the pie when someone sells out of region, even though they themselves have been using the internet to keep prices high in whatever regions they think will bear it, whilst selling cheaply elsewhere.

Once again, Ubisoft create a toxic relationship with the customer that will actually reduce sales and drive people towards piracy, another product, or away from PC gaming altogether.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely unless they actually have proof that the key they are removing was obtained illegally (via a stolen card credit like they say) then they are breaking the law by removing them?

Don

isn't this literally the foundation of every import export business in the world?

If the Ralph Lauren clothes were known to be stolen (i.e. purchased fraudulently) then yes, it is probable that the clothes would be impounded by the police.

Back
Top Bottom