Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
i see your little ninja edit ;)
giphy.gif

but it’s not reaaaaally though is it. Do we honestly expect no retaliation for this?
The jets were traded to the US and are sat in a US airbase at the moment. NATO seems to be very good at keeping everything to the letter of the law so it would have to be Russia escalating it by incorrectly interpreting the involvement in the war. Russia are not even claiming it’s a war anyway so technically how can we be involved in a war that doesn’t exist. :D

You seem to be suggesting Putin was forced to invade, as if he was left with no choice. When the reality is, this has been planned for potentially years. There’s no justifiable reason for Russia to have invaded Ukraine and the resulting deviation and loss of life (oh what sorry, it’s a peace keeping mission isn’t it?).

Exactly, why didn’t Putin focus on his own people (yes I know he purports to consider Ukrainians his own people but if true he’s not been very nice to them) and grow his economy in a civilised way? He’s a despot driven by cold war dogma. Whenever I see his face I hear that russian spy Portishead track…is it nobody loves me?

You seem to be suggesting Putin was forced to invade, as if he was left with no choice. When the reality is, this has been planned for potentially years. There’s no justifiable reason for Russia to have invaded Ukraine and the resulting deviation and loss of life (oh what sorry, it’s a peace keeping mission isn’t it?).
I agree with you, Putin is in the wrong 100%. You're also right, this was years in the making. I also agree that he is self-righteous and vain, he is Putin, we always knew this. We shouldn't have let it get to this, there were plenty of warning signs.

Why did we let it get to this? Why didn't we have negotiations earlier? Why did we leave him with only one option (as far as he was concerned)

The jets were traded to the US and are sat in a US airbase at the moment. NATO seems to be very good at keeping everything to the letter of the law so it would have to be Russia escalating it by incorrectly interpreting the involvement in the war. Russia are not even claiming it’s a war anyway so technically how can we be involved in a war that doesn’t exist. :D

I wish I was as calm as you about it…..:)

I think putin is capable of anything. He doesn’t care about nato ‘technically’ following the law. Hence why this makes me cack myself.

*US Treasury Issues Guidances on Russian Energy Imports Ban.
*US Treasury Guidance on President Biden’s Executive Order.

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy0641

*Amazon Has Stopped Accepting New Cloud Computing/AWS Customers in Russia and *Belarus – NYT Reporter Tweet
*AWS Is No Longer Accepting New Customers Based in Russia or Belarus – Blog

https://twitter.com/KYWeise/status/1501286837150646273
https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/community/amazons-assistance-in-ukraine

*Starbucks Suspending All Business Activity in Russia: Reuters
*Starbucks Suspension Includes Shipment of All Starbucks Goods
*Starbucks: Licensee to Support 2,000 Employees in Russia

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1501289350272892933

How did zelensky and the people change your mind?

The fact that they have resisted, and resisted very heavily. The way Putin moved his forces in large columns was like a throwback to WW2 when the allies moved their armies in columns, liberating the towns and cities, I honestly think Putin expected something similar to this. He got it badly wrong.

Don't really disagree with most of your post. I think the West, much like myself, didn't think Putin need anything more in his life. All the money, status and power he required and was probably overlooked and felt aggrieved by the loss of the USSR.

Only thing I would say is that we're past the point of discussion. We can deal out the recriminations afterwards. Right now we have to help Ukraine survive.

I feel that both Russia and China work very differently to us and they seem to have support for each other when push comes to shove. China's been putting out support for various RUS messaging.

We do need to engage with them and discuss things before they go too far. At least we've learned that ignoring Putin isn't an option, he will back up his words with actions. I just wish those in charge had taken him seriously sooner otherwise we have to deal with the fallout.

The fact that they have resisted, and resisted very heavily. The way Putin moved his forces in large columns was like a throwback to WW2 when the allies moved their armies in columns, liberating the towns and cities, I honestly think Putin expected something similar to this. He got it badly wrong.

He’s either played a blinding double bluff (0.01% chance) or he’s screaming at his remaining un-snipered generals (99.99% chance)

Your posts are just full of unsubstantiated bluster under some strange guise of being a higher level thinker before trying to finish off in a defensive position about how downtrodden and bullied you are by the rest of the forum. It’s very strange.
You're focusing on the wrong things

I wish I was as calm as you about it…..:)

I think putin is capable of anything. He doesn’t care about nato ‘technically’ following the law. Hence why this makes me cack myself.
NATO is much more confident about shutting him down. He will have to withdraw from Ukraine eventually. I think a lot of the concern is also partly driven by our media. For example the whole doing a nuke test in the North Sea was a load of bull as there is no international airspace or water there so it would be a declaration of war to do it. Plus Russia has demonstrated it has a very poor military capability. Would Russia really want to gamble launching its nukes and finding lots of them fail and the rest get shot down. NATO know a lot about Russia. It must have shocked them a bit when all the plans to attack were being announced beforehand.

I agree with you, Putin is in the wrong 100%. You're also right, this was years in the making. I also agree that he is self-righteous and vain, he is Putin, we always knew this. We shouldn't have let it get to this, there were plenty of warning signs.

Why did we let it get to this? Why didn't we have negotiations earlier? Why did we leave him with only one option (as far as he was concerned)

You are making the assumption that Putin would have responded to ‘negotiations’ with sincerity. Why?

He already spent the last few months before the invasion stringing along the west/world, openly stating there was no planned invasion, having meetings with Macron etc saying they were never going to do anything despite more and more troops organising on the border. First it was for training, then it was for a peace keeping mission.

The Russian government are full of it. Now they are murdering people, destroying a sovereign nation, creating havoc. For what? Due to Putin’s own vanity and megalomania, wanting to carve out a legacy. He will have a legacy alright, but it won’t be the one he hoped for.

9000 approved permits not being used by oil companies in the US. Exxon records highest profits in 7 years in 2021. Maybe ask them why they aren't opening up those approved oil and gas fields and raising production. Biden doesn't control how much oil and gas they bring out of the ground. It suits them to have high prices.

"9000 permits" I see you took the headline as fact.

American Exploration & Production Council (AXPC) CEO Anne Bradbury "It's really a distraction from the fact that this administration has paused leasing on federal lands, something that we're concerned about and something that we think needs to continue right away,"

"Bradbury also said the Biden administration is "required under the law" to sell oil and gas leases on federal lands. "

American Petroleum Institute (API) president and CEO Mike Sommers
"when asked about Psaki's comments. "Once you lease land there is a whole process that you have to go through. First you have to actually discover whether actually there is oil and gas in that land. Second of all, you have to get a permit to actually develop that land."

"Sommers added: "Right now we actually are developing more leases than we have in two decades so the White House certainly doesn't have their facts straight on this."

More to it than meets the eye.

I'd remind you of afganistan, syria, gaza, etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...east-22000-civilians-since-911-analysis-finds

We, the west, are not in a position to judge.

Putin doesn't want Ukraine to be a part of Nato, doesn't want things on his borders that could be a threat. He's been complaining about it for years and years and been ignored so he's trying to do something about it.

Is it bad? Hell yes

Do we all wish it could be avoided? Of course

Is UKR a shining beacon of virtue? Absolutely not. They've committed their own crimes against their citizens and stolen money.

Should anyone be arming UKR and encouraging conflict? Nope.

Would a partially neutral UKR be a good compromise to end all this? Quite possibly.

International diplomacy is a tricky beast, it takes considered negotiation not war mongering, there was nearly a decade to discuss this before it got to this but that opportunity was not taken for whatever reason.

Now we get a barrage of misinformation in our media to funnel the overall sentiment towards the situation.

What I find absurd is that everything out of Russia is lies and propaganda and everything on our media is the truth and honest. It works both ways.

People like to be told what to think it seems. Feels safer, means people don't have to think for themselves.

I’m sure Ukraine would not like Russia on its border doing what it’s doing either but hey ho.

Another day another apologist contrarian trying to appear as an unbiased truth seeker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom