Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analysis by General Sir Richard Barrons, who led the UK's Joint Forces Command

The point about putting weapons at higher alert is probably more to do with putting more weapons at higher readiness, because there are always some weapons at high readiness all the time.

This is to ensure that neither Russia nor the west have the drop on their opponent.

On the question of whether Mr Putin would use nuclear weapons we need to distinguish between two aspects. First, in Russian military doctrine the idea of using a small tactical nuclear warhead (so perhaps from .03 of a kiloton up to perhaps 10 kiloton) is seen as an option for de-escalating the situation.

In this context they might conceive using a small nuclear weapon in Ukraine, but in the absence of NATO intervening with military force this seems wholly incredible.

NATO does not subscribe to this doctrine and sees the use of nuclear weapons as something separate and escalatory

The second aspect is whether Mr Putin thinks he would consider using nuclear weapons against countries outside Ukraine. He could only possibly imagine doing this if he was prepared to see Russian urban areas incinerated in response.

It seems to me that when Mr Putin raises the spectre of nuclear weapons it betrays his anger and disappointment at the progress on the ground so far, the realisation that the population of Ukraine is mostly set against him, and a real fear that he is about to fail in conditions in which he has turned not just most of the world (less perhaps China) against him but driven huge concerns about him into the lives of his own people.

If he is now crazy enough to think about pushing the nuclear button we’re going to rely on a very small number of hard-liners around him to not comply. Scary thought of the day.

I know this is probably contributing to the thread drift, but anecdotally I remember one of the flight sims I bought on first buying a PC in 1995 was US Navy Fighters. The setting for that was a war between Russia and Ukraine. 27 years later, it's come to pass.

Analysis by General Sir Richard Barrons, who led the UK's Joint Forces Command

It seems to me that when Mr Putin raises the spectre of nuclear weapons it betrays his anger and disappointment at the progress on the ground so far, the realisation that the population of Ukraine is mostly set against him, and a real fear that he is about to fail in conditions in which he has turned not just most of the world (less perhaps China) against him but driven huge concerns about him into the lives of his own people.

If he is now crazy enough to think about pushing the nuclear button we’re going to rely on a very small number of hard-liners around him to not comply. Scary thought of the day.

Yea, that's what it smacks of

Hopefully I'm not breaking thread rules, it's from a credited source, thought it'd be interesting:

I don't understand why, but they're really struggling to take out those drones, most convoys have been supported with short range air defence Strela-10's, so they should have no reason not to take them out, but it seems like they're not even looking out for them

Not really. there's the missile crews themselves that have to fire the weapons. How many of them would think, I don't want to kill millions of people I don't have a quarrel with. Especially if they've found out why they are firing.

By threatening the Nuclear option it's obvious Putin is deluded, whether he would do it is up to debate, but to me it's a massive disrespect to his people and Russia by even putting this on the table, nobody wins when this happens as we all know, so he is putting the existence of everybody at risk on the back of a so called peacekeeping mission in Ukraine. The sooner he is taken from power by his own people the better, but as we all likely know like any dictator he is probably surrounded by people who fear for their life and say yes to anything. I don't believe that majority of Russians have the same view, and if we get past this all this I'll be the first to wish them prosperity as part of a whole world cooperative, but they need to help themselves to get to this, they have so much potential but they all need to help themselves first to get rid of the despot who governs them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom