Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Soldato
I know Brexit pain seems to run deep into some people's psyche. But I think you're misunderstanding the difference between not wanting to head down a path where UK forces operate under the direct command of an EU superstate, and working in combined operations with our NATO allies as we do now.

Thank you for so quickly demonstrating my point. 8 years on from the Brexit vote is there any proof of an army operating "under the direct command of an EU superstate"? In light of Trump's repeated threats about NATO, is continuing to rely expressly on US support such a good idea, rather than also coordinating with our NATO allies on a local basis to act as a joint deterrent and (if necessary) actually take action to defend Europe?

Caporegime
I'll be honest, I've not been keeping up to date with it as it was depressing to follow.

If Ukraine can't last another year without a step up in support, are we talking about a situation where Putin takes the whole country or?

I think Putin would love to take the whole country, but it's too much even for him to bite off. We saw what happened when he tried to seize Kyiv in 3 days.

He'll likely settle for Crimea, Donbas, and at least one more region in the east.

Soldato
I was reading something a while back that made the point that IIRC most of the better/regulation modern life rafts actually have to have a mylar foil sewn or glued in places to give them a radar signature that radar has a better chance of picking up, apparently early ones and some of the cheaper ones that don't meet proper modern standards don't, meaning there is effectively no radar signature as the materials they are otherwise made off don't give anything for the signal to bounce off.

Watching that video it made it very clear why finding a person float in the sea is so hard too so that's all completely understandable.

Caporegime
Its funny I know loads of people who have stated that Germany shouldnt even be allowed a military after starting two world wars.
Typically older people who saw (like my grandparents) or indirectly saw the consequences of the war (WW2) however, (eg many at my local C&UP club.)

And don't forget that after reunification in 1990 they were forced to reduce their military numbers and equipment due to a treaty.

Caporegime
since they are running our of men why doesn't the UK start deporting fighting age wealthy Ukrainians, the ones who came to France in brand new Mercedes to claim asylum

Caporegime
Genuine question. Did this actually happen?
yea all the wealthy escaped Ukraine at the start and heading to countries like ours offering asylum

asutria but still
"We all can see them driving Maybach, [Audi] Q7 and Q8, and Mercedes G-class cars around Vienna. When I see such cars, with prices starting from 250,000 euros, I come to think that these are not common people in need of protection," Vilimsky told the Heute newspaper, commenting on the presence of Ukrainian refugees in Austria.

Poland

I can't quickly find any UK stuff, but I remember at the time the journalists were talking about the lines of brand new cars in France waiting to claim asylum in the UK.

I think one of the articles in one of the news papers was some woman complaining about her Ukrainian guests who weren't poor and had expensive bags etc

Last edited:
yea all the wealthy escaped Ukraine at the start and heading to countries like ours offering asylum

Did we offer asylum? I don't think we did.

We offered Ukrainian refugees a temporary sponsorship from my recollection, which is very much NOT asylum.

Edit, I assume should the Ukrainian government formally request some of the documented Ukrainian nationals that are here be returned we would oblige.
They should all be documented under the scheme I believe.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be honest, I've not been keeping up to date with it as it was depressing to follow.

If Ukraine can't last another year without a step up in support, are we talking about a situation where Putin takes the whole country or?

It would probably take some rather drastic world events. Say if sanctions got lifted on Russia. Trump managed to win an election, started buying Russian oil and gas at full market value. Europe went into an economic depression and Putin confiscated the offshore finances of oligarchs and Russia got good at war.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Edit, I assume should the Ukrainian government formally request some of the documented Ukrainian nationals that are here be returned we would oblige.
doesn't sound like we would

Soldato
since they are running our of men why doesn't the UK start deporting fighting age wealthy Ukrainians, the ones who came to France in brand new Mercedes to claim asylum

The UK will deport Ukrainians seeking asylum in France, but only those that arrived in brand new Mercedes. And I’m talking proper Mercedes now, not that cheap transverse engined FIAT garbage with a picture of a three pointed star on the bonnet.

doesn't sound like we would

Reading it it sounds like we would but the investigator seemed to not understand the process or even if it has been/ was being actioned.

Its hard to work out if some of those people are supposed to be Russian or Ukrainian.
If they are Ukrainian why do they keep going on about Russians in Britain.

I mean some high level people may want to request asylum, but that doesnt mean its going to be granted.
I believe the vast majoirty of Ukrainians havent requested aslyum

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Just hopeIsre
The ship was named after this guy

Note the date of his death.

Happy Valentines Putin.

So not being completely upto on Naval tactics and the combined fleet of the black sea 2015-2024 (my own internal shame) What is the point in that ship ? Troop support, landing troops or just pounding the coastline. I get the name but cant see any other craft that hangs off it or in it ?

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Just hopeIsre

So not being completely upto on Naval tactics and the combined fleet of the black sea 2015-2024 (my own internal shame) What is the point in that ship ? Troop support, landing troops or just pounding the coastline. I get the name but cant see any other craft that hangs off it or in it ?

Judging by the explosion, its currently getting used for ammunition supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom