Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Soldato
Not in terms of storyline and characters though. As an origin story it started off well enough, but soon fell to pieces due the pace at which Lara transformed from whimpering young girl to hardened killer, executing enemies with a shotgun to the face.

There was no need for an extended development though. Lara Croft as a character has been developed over years, she's one of the most iconic characters in the gaming world - it's pretty hard to not have had some insight into the character as she turns out to be, so the quick "transformation" as you put it doesn't really hold any weight. It was just an ends to a means in order to reboot the games.

I mean seriously, Lara Croft as a character is far more established in popular culture than Nathan Drake.

Soldato
Yes she is, of course, but it's not a better game.

Agreed.. and uncharted 2 simply walked all over the tomb raider reboot. uncharted 2 is imo quite simply one of the finest games to be ever released.

I have very fond memories of tomb raider 1 and 2. all went downhill after the third, and uncharted trilogy simply stepped up and stole the show.. the fact tomb raider reboot felt so much like an uncharted game proved the point.. imitation sincerest form of flattery...

I enjoyed tomb raider reboot, it was a good game but uncharted all three games were better imo and the second uncharted still remains the best game I've played to date..

Soldato
There was no need for an extended development though..

Well yeah, there was. It was an 'origin story' as they kept saying over and over in the months leading up to release. Back to Lara's roots, telling the story of how she came to be. All it really did was demonstrate that this single experience changed her from vulnerable young girl to a fairly hardened killer. Naturally, there's always a bit of a disconnect between character and bodycount in games like this (ala Uncharted) but the game was more than happy to empower you to kill with as many ruthless and rather brutal methods as possible despite trying to make you feel sorry for her just hours before.

It's a good thing the gameplay was excellent and didn't really rely on the story or characters to carry it too much.

I mean seriously, Lara Croft as a character is far more established in popular culture than Nathan Drake.

And yet Drake is the better-developed of the two. Says a lot really.

Caporegime
Does anyone else think arguing about which is the most brilliant out of 2 brilliant game franchises kinda misses the point :p

Its hard enough to find a decent game these days, don't start bickering as soon as 2 come along at once :D

Caporegime
So with Microsoft now admitting to publishing Tomb Raider 2, does this mean it's never coming to PS4? Just X1 and PC?

Seems an efficient way to combat Uncharted 4.

I think Square Enix can publish it on PS4. Microsoft publishing it for the other two means it will be doing all the marketing and then when they're done, it will pass to SE.

Soldato
I have an X1 and I'll be skipping Tomb Raider until it's on the PS4 or failing that buying it pre owned. No where near the excitement levels of Uncharted either, cannot wait for this game. If Microsoft release Tomb Raider at the same time it's asking for trouble as it will get destroyed.

Soldato
The irony is that ms did the tr deal as Phil Spencer said he wanted an uncharted style game for Xbox. So instead of funding their own studio to craft their own uncharted type game, they just splashed cash to a developer and snatched a franchise instead..

Not a lot of passion in that , so my money is on uncharted. It was anyhow.. no doubt tr will be a decent game, but my money really is on uncharted 4 .

Soldato
So tempting to watch.. but spoilers.. don't need them. Like one of the IGN guys said, I've seen enough to see that it will be great, so I'm good.

Soldato
Even though it was set piece I have to say that was probably the most incredible piece of game play footage / trailer I have even seen.

These guys at naughty dog sure live up to their name, exited to see what the future brings given this is their first game on the ps4.

Back
Top Bottom