**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Just had a puncture in my rear driver side tyre as I arrived at work. Could hear it hissing right away. First time in 10 years I've had a puncture, and I do around 10-11k miles a year. Didn't have a spare tyre or space saver (This will now change), just that sealant stuff, so used that with the screw in it as I wasn't confident it would work if I had removed it (Although I had nothing on me to remove it away). Got the afternoon off to get it sorted and had to drive to the other side of the city as most garages were too busy. I thought, ok not great, £30 to repair and had to take time off, but hey ho. But, why is it that no one has ever said that when you use that tyre sealant, the tyre is basically non-repairable?! I assume it's because they have to remove the sealant, or they have some policy about not guaranteeing a repair or something? Anyway, they didn't have the tyre in stock that I already had on the car, so I ended up spending £350 for 2 new tyres as I didn't want uneven/non-matched tyres on the rears, all because of a bloody screw. The rears were in good condition as well, with around 5.5mm still on the tread.

In hindsight, it would probably have cost half as much to get the car recovered to the garage to get the tyre repaired, but it was just a "I need my car repaired asap" kind of situation. Safe to say, I will be investing in a space-saving wheel from now until the day I'm longer able to drive. :p

Speaking of which, does anyone recommend a decent space-saving kit for 19" 5 nut wheels?

@mart
Just had a puncture in my rear driver side tyre as I arrived at work. Could hear it hissing right away. First time in 10 years I've had a puncture, and I do around 10-11k miles a year. Didn't have a spare tyre or space saver (This will now change), just that sealant stuff, so used that with the screw in it as I wasn't confident it would work if I had removed it (Although I had nothing on me to remove it away). Got the afternoon off to get it sorted and had to drive to the other side of the city as most garages were too busy. I thought, ok not great, £30 to repair and had to take time off, but hey ho. But, why is it that no one has ever said that when you use that tyre sealant, the tyre is basically non-repairable?! I assume it's because they have to remove the sealant, or they have some policy about not guaranteeing a repair or something? Anyway, they didn't have the tyre in stock that I already had on the car, so I ended up spending £350 for 2 new tyres as I didn't want uneven/non-matched tyres on the rears, all because of a bloody screw. The rears were in good condition as well, with around 5.5mm still on the tread.

In hindsight, it would probably have cost half as much to get the car recovered to the garage to get the tyre repaired, but it was just a "I need my car repaired asap" kind of situation. Safe to say, I will be investing in a space-saving wheel from now until the day I'm longer able to drive. :p

Speaking of which, does anyone recommend a decent space-saving kit for 19" 5 nut wheels?
Lesson learnt good and proper.
What make and model?

It's repairable it just makes a hell of a mess so most garages refuse to deal with it.

It is fairly well known tyre sealant makes the tyre non-repairable (or at least most places won't do it) to be fair. Friends/family haven't had great track records of tyre sealant working though that is usually with the offending item removed from the tyre.

Personally I keep a set of tyre plugs in each of my vehicles though in the ones without a jack it wouldn't be so easy to use :(

Last edited:
It is fairly well known tyre sealant makes the tyre non-repairable (or at least most places won't do it) to be fair. Friends/family haven't had great track records of tyre sealant working though that is usually with the offending item removed from the tyre.

Personally I keep a set of tyre plugs in each of my vehicles though in the ones without a jack it wouldn't be so easy to use :(

Is the tyre still repairable after using those plug kits? Just videos I've seen they seem to file the hole out a bit before plugging.

Back
Top Bottom