Upset neighbours

Soldato
There's a bit of noise and occasional scream, kids just doing kid stuff....but consistent screaming/screeching is just anti-social, if you're in a built-up area with adjacent gardens, have a bit of consideration.

Think it's my autism mainly but I physically cannot stand screeching kids, it's like fingernails down the backboard of my soul. Traffic noise, lawn mowers, living in the middle of HK in a high rise apartment no problem. Screaming kids? Nope nope nope, cannot tolerate.

Man of Honour
Do you happen to moan at builders or the council cutting the grass too? I guess no because its only for a short amount of time, the same thing with the kids.
Classing anyone as being loud in their garden as a chav is just silly now.

I find there isn't a shortage of people who moan about stuff like that - one of my neighbours had a one off party which went on a bit late when we had a nice summer day, they turned the music down about 10pm, a couple of other neighbours basically went ballistic - in reality it was a tiny inconvenience.

Soldato
No one said we have the right to make all types of noise across all hours of the day.
But you have to realise and appreciate, kids will be awake and active during the day.

Do you happen to moan at builders or the council cutting the grass too? I guess no because its only for a short amount of time, the same thing with the kids.
Classing anyone as being loud in their garden as a chav is just silly now.
Of course but there should be an adult moderating things and not just putting them outside first thing in the day and keeping them out there all day, so that they're a nuisance to everyone else. There are people not far from me who tend to put their kids out in the garden at about 7am to start and they can if the weather is good in the summer be out to way past when I would have thought young kids should be in bed. It's as though the kids run the household rather than parents in some of these homes these days.

Whatever happened to kids should be seen and not heard!

There should be a happy medium but as is often the case these days some people take the approach of screw everyone else, we can do whatever we like.

Last edited:
Soldato
I find there isn't a shortage of people who moan about stuff like that - one of my neighbours had a one off party which went on a bit late when we had a nice summer day, they turned the music down about 10pm, a couple of other neighbours basically went ballistic - in reality it was a tiny inconvenience.
Some are chavs, the chavs of tomorrow, god help us. Because they're dragged up rather than raised with any consideration for others and as in some of these households the kids rule the roost they scream blue murder until they get a trampoline or swimming pool and therefore the parents play into the problem and exacerbate it. Years ago people didn't have all these things and would have been more considerate to others also wanting to enjoy their gardens such as just sitting outside and enjoying the view or reading a book.

10pm for a party would be fine if it wasn't a regular thing throughout the whole summer. It's more likely to be to around 3am around here when that happens.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Whatever happened to kids should be seen and not heard!

A stupid backwards notion, as with everything there is a balance, unfortunately these days the balance seems to have tipped decidedly the other way with as mentioned kids being dragged up rather than brought up with poor consideration for others.

EDIT: Something I'm thankful for my parents for, sometimes to the consternation of older relatives, we were brought up for the most part with a more pragmatic approach but also taught to be considerate of others.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same thing as happened to the cane, putting them to work at 6, and giving them a beating. People realised that child abuse is a "Bad Thing" and does more harm than good.
Never did kids any harm to get a good smack years ago. If you're screaming and causing a constant scene you would have been told by a parent that you'd be given something to scream about if you didn't behave.

Soldato
Never did kids any harm to get a good smack years ago. If you're screaming and causing a constant scene you would have been told by a parent that you'd be given something to scream about if you didn't behave.

Never occurred to you that maybe the reason the kid was behaving that way in the first place was because the parents were ****, and the fact they were only able to "control" their child through physical violence was just another way of that manifesting itself? Hitting a child does nothing except teach it that physical abuse is an acceptable way of getting what you want - seems to be a trait very common in chavs, and yet you seem to think it's a good thing?

Soldato
Never occurred to you that maybe the reason the kid was behaving that way in the first place was because the parents were ****, and the fact they were only able to "control" their child through physical violence was just another way of that manifesting itself? Hitting a child does nothing except teach it that physical abuse is an acceptable way of getting what you want - seems to be a trait very common in chavs, and yet you seem to think it's a good thing?
At the end of the day you should be showing others some consideration and not just assuming your self entitlement gives you the right to put your kids in the garden from early morning to late at night every day that the sun is out throughout the whole of the summer holidays. Spare a thought for others!

Soldato
5 pages in and we still don't know if they were playing or just screaming, come on OP give us an update.

Want me to quote you when we reach page 5?

:cry:

Sometimes parents/dog owners/or the guys over the field from the parents that own tanks and other military equipment become ear deaf from the sounds coming from their beloved Chlamydia, Satan the Poodle or that T34. In the case of the tanks guys I went around for a chat and ended up having a great day :cry:

Soldato
At the end of the day you should be showing others some consideration and not just assuming your self entitlement gives you the right to put your kids in the garden from early morning to late at night every day that the sun is out throughout the whole of the summer holidays. Spare a thought for others!

Let me guess, or else you'll hit me until I do what you want, like your chav parents taught you? :cry:

I think a large part of the problem is that people have become very insular and isolationist these days. Don't know if it's a British thing due to being an island, but just look at Brexit for a perfect example on a national scale. People want to have the benefits of living in a community, but not actually be a part of that community. Nobody gets to know their neighbours anymore, so they are just a faceless noise.

Maybe if you got to know them, you'd realise they are people just like you, and sure, maybe they are just chavs with no consideration for others, but maybe not.

Maybe that kid is outside "unsupervised" making a bit of noise because it's the only chance their single mum gets to do a bit of housework in between shifts?

Maybe the lady next door is blasting out her music because she's been diagnosed with stage 3 cancer and she doesn't want you to hear her puking her guts up from chemo?

You keep mentioning the word "consideration", but it seems you fail to realise that it applies to you just as much as anyone else.

Last edited:
Soldato
Let me guess, or else you'll hit me until I do what you want, like your chav parents taught you? :cry:

I think a large part of the problem is that people have become very insular and isolationist these days. Don't know if it's a British thing due to being an island, but just look at Brexit for a perfect example on a national scale. People want to have the benefits of living in a community, but not actually be a part of that community. Nobody gets to know their neighbours anymore, so they are just a faceless noise.

Maybe if you got to know them, you'd realise they are people just like you, and sure, maybe they are just chavs with no consideration for others, but maybe not.

Maybe that kid is outside "unsupervised" making a bit of noise because it's the only chance their single mum gets to do a bit of housework in between shifts?

Maybe the lady next door is blasting out her music because she's been diagnosed with stage 3 cancer and she doesn't want you to hear her puking her guts up from chemo?

You keep mentioning the word "consideration", but it seems you fail to realise that it applies to you just as much as anyone else.

wtf did I just read.

Soldato
OP
Well this thread seems to have exploded like my neighbours temper :D . It wasn't a lot of screaming (think child heating annoyed rather than a tantrum). Its quite hard to explain on a forum though. I've told the kids to not be so rowdy and to try and go on the street more (we live on a culdesac) and maybe give other neighbours gardens a go. There are 3 other family's with similar aged kids, but they always tend to go in my garden so hopefully this will pacify the neighbours a bit.

Soldato

There is a lot of research into this, I don't think you can find anything that shows it did, it also was and is a real good get out for child abusers, another good reason why it's a no no.

More issues than a simple ' smack ' that is screwing up society today.

Associate
It doesn't concern your neighbours if it's earlier enough in the evening.

At the end of the day the law is up until 11pm (i think it's 11pm) it ok and only after where noise can be reported as anti-social.

Ultimatly considering their ages I doubt they are even out that late what 7-8pm? I hardly think that's late at all. I don't even have kids but this seems like an over-reaction to me on children playing outside, I bet they're the kind of neighbours that complain kids spend too much inside playing games in front of the TV too.

I don't know if your children and hit the frequency of bats or something but shutting the windows tends to drown out most noise so I can't imagine they are screeming to such a level the windows are shaking or something. I think if it's later at night 8pm onwards or something then sure you can start to say yeh it's be inconsiderate.

You can ask your kids to keep it down but kids will be kids at the end of the day.

Unless after all this we find out you bought them a drum set, amplifier and a guitar and they're out their screaming death metal... then op... you're a dick :cry:

Back
Top Bottom