urgent help on 1st build!

Associate
OP
I'm a bit confused as well myself lol, I made sure to be dead careful when putting the cpu in both times, and the only other exposure I had to it was when I was putting the socket cover back on.

Soldato
I'm a bit confused as well myself lol, I made sure to be dead careful when putting the cpu in both times, and the only other exposure I had to it was when I was putting the socket cover back on.

As you didn't notice the pins were bent i suspect they're only slightly bent as they're pretty hard to miss, as a rule. Even taking your lack of build experience into account - if they were badly bent you would have noticed straight away. (So hopefully this is a good omen)

Did OC's mention how many or how badly they were bent?

Soldato
They're so sensitive that even the slightest touch will bent them unlike the old CPU pins which were quite solid.

I'm sorry to say that but in this case you will most likely end up buying new mobo as this in most cases in unfixable.

Associate
They're so sensitive that even the slightest touch will bent them unlike the old CPU pins which were quite solid.

I'm sorry to say that but in this case you will most likely end up buying new mobo as this in most cases in unfixable.

I dunno, I have finessed a few 775 pins back into place, unbricking probably four or five OEM mobos now, each one with a mild bend on one or two pins that stopped it working. A bit of work with a small pair of tweezers or a very small nibbed pen can be very productive.

I wouldn't give up hope quite yet.

Associate
OP
ok, the Motherboard is here, and I think I can see what they mean by bent pins, I'll upload a pic now.

the only problem is it looks really hard to fix.

Associate
OP
while i'm waiting for the camera to charge, my concern is that there are 2 bent pins.

one looks slightly mis-aligned, so hopefully I can fix that. The other however, looks completely destroyed...

there are little metal spheres on all the pins, but on this pin I can't see one, all it is, is a thin wirey piece of metal =(

Soldato
:/

It will still be worth trying to fix - hopefully that particular pin will just be a ground. Does it look like it could still be pulled up enough to make contact with the CPU in the right position?

Associate
OP
can't take pics, whenever i go close it just becomes a big blur, even with 8MP =(

I hope I can pull it up enough, i'm pretty sure I can rotate the other pin slightly.

will have a go now...with a pair of tweezers lol.

Soldato
Just take the shot as close as possible and blow up and crop the shot in photoshop/paint - with an 8MP camera the pins may still be visible.

If you can't then good luck - and take your time! (practice using the tweezers on something else first just so you get the feel of resistance and grip.)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Tried my hardest but still no luck.

the out of position pin using a needle I managed to get it back into place, it looks 99.9% like the other pins in the row and coloumn. It's just the pin to the left of that that is I know bad. It has a bluish colour, which is unique, it is about 1/2 - 3/4 of the size of the other pins, and it doesn't have the small metal piece raised above. It could possibly be a piece of the pin has snapped off...

Soldato
Mmm, the size of it sounds like it could be an issue. Does anyone know how the pins work - are they spring-loaded and do they retract slightly into the socket when the CPU is installed? Or are they fixed in position?

If you're lucky, that one pin might be a ground pin so you could get away with it.

Associate
They are spring loaded and retract into the socket slightly when the processor is clamped.
It sounds like they may have a copper shroud covering steel pins; hence the reason one pin looks different.
If this pin is long enough it may still make contact and work ok. It's worth giving it a try.
I wonder if the processor is ok? It could have suffered a short when the pins were bent.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
the mucked up pin is at the same height as the others, but about half the length =(

It doesn't seem to be a ground pin since the problem still occurs when trying to start up.

Soldato
Is it smaller or just bent ?

Also keep in mind your rig didn't work since start.
As much as you might have messed the mobo when you assembled it the first time there is a high chance that it came to you faulty already with a manufacturer fault.

Try to get the picture of that socket, set macro with soft flash and do it from angle - should be just fine.

I would try to talk with OCuk again and tell em that it came faulty.

Back
Top Bottom