What are the 30 year old plus gamers playing?

To be honest I find myself playing a lot of my own modded Quake 2 these days. I struggle to get into anything often due to clunky gameplay mechanics or stupid balance/rebalance changes or drama kicking off over silly things, etc.

I tried to replay through the Mass Effect series with the legendary edition recently but it is a real struggle to get through ME1 :( - these days the camera/movement and fairly steep learning curve (which I've largely forgotten) make it hard to get into and I've too many thing vying for my time these days to persist with re-acquainting with it.

On a sort of related topic while I don't have the time for the gameplay these days there are some crazily artistic Quake 1 maps out these days - some showcased here https://www.youtube.com/@D3Archi/videos some of the multi-author themed mission packs have some really far out concept maps.

It's acceptable the first time (apart from the annoying cut scene>walk for 10metres>cut scene parts, but on a replay you can't skip some looong parts and it's just plain annoying.
Still love the core gameplay though

Seems kinda cool,a bit like X4 but no first person

you can hire captains for ships and send them out mining, scouting etc

Last edited:
Just finished Redfall, no idea why it got hated so much, I picked it up for £7 finished it in 13 hours, was alright tbf.
I recall technical problems and bland gameplay were complaints, has that changed or was it just because 13hrs for £7 allows you to overlook some issues?

Tried Lords of the fallen for an hour - not for me
Mafia Definitive Edition for an hour - just about good enough will continue
Madden NFL 25 - For one match (enough NFL for me)
Persona 3 Reload - four hours into this - may or may not persist.

I recall technical problems and bland gameplay were complaints, has that changed or was it just because 13hrs for £7 allows you to overlook some issues?
I didnt come across any techinal issues, gameplay was a little bland but still enjoyable as the story keep me playing it felt no worse then Borderlands in terms of gun play, the characters are very generic with poor powers to use, but yea, £7 13hours play I'm happy with it.

The Last Starship. Excellent little game from the makers of Prison Architech. Early access though so will be a while for the finished game.

The Last Starship. Excellent little game from the makers of Prison Architech. Early access though so will be a while for the finished game.
Has the game been fleshed out a bit now? I was following their dev diaries during the very early production of it and some of the gameplay mechanisms looked interesting but wasn't anything to bring it together into a proper 'experience'! That being said, it was very early in production!

Last edited:
Replaying Dark Forces 2. I forgot how much detail they put in to this game for the time (1997), considering it was one of the first fully 3D modeled games. Sound design too. If it got a re-release with modern graphics it would still be a good game. JK2 also.

Last edited:
Still working on Mass Effect legendary edition insanity playthrough, about half way through the second game and it's finally the turning point where my Vanguard decimates everything. However, if I get caught out without a shield, insta death most times :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom