What did you do to your bike today?

Associate
I see your little on board cameo edd1e on their clip of that track event. Looked awesome. Who the hell took a Mel B Bo Selecta outfit with them?! :D

Soldato
Rode my bike to work.

What else was I going to do to it today? Well, ride it home again. Except there's a KTM 990 SM-T sized air gap where it was. Two bikes nicked now from the area. Kentish town is such an utter hole. I hate it.
Sorry to hear mate, what was it locked up with?

The little ***** have been known to carry around angle grinders. Makes me feel paranoid today, I don't have my disc lock with me today.

Soldato
Bled my brakes again.

Really easy method: attach hose to bleed nipple, put other end of hose in jam jar or whatever (submerged in a little bit of brake fluid), make sure hose and jar are ABOVE the bleed nipple, undo nipple and pump. No need to open, squeeze, close, release, repeat, etc. and no need having a fancy bleed nipple or non return valve.

Basically the liquid sits on top of the bleed nipple, so it's impossible for air to go back in, so you don't need to close it between each squeeze :)

Associate
Sorry to hear mate, what was it locked up with?

The little ***** have been known to carry around angle grinders. Makes me feel paranoid today, I don't have my disc lock with me today.

2 disc locks, alarm and Almax chain, sadly couldn't attach it to anything though, so presumably they just lifted it into a van.

My bad for not fitting a tracker. Next bike will have two trackers- a cheap one for them to find, and a BikeTrac buried deep so I can get the bike back, but more importantly to give 5-0 a chance to nab the pond life.

Soldato
Finished fitting my rearsets, my god it's wierd having a working rear brake again after never really having one that did anything on the Tuono! My brain needs to re-calibrate itself :p:D

Bled my brakes again.

Really easy method: attach hose to bleed nipple, put other end of hose in jam jar or whatever (submerged in a little bit of brake fluid), make sure hose and jar are ABOVE the bleed nipple, undo nipple and pump. No need to open, squeeze, close, release, repeat, etc. and no need having a fancy bleed nipple or non return valve.

Basically the liquid sits on top of the bleed nipple, so it's impossible for air to go back in, so you don't need to close it between each squeeze :)

Used this exact method, got a lovely firm rear brake now :D

It's a 2 person job the Tuono though, one to hold the rear caliper in various different positions to get the trapped air out and to pump the brake lever. The other person needs to top up the brake res and hold the bottle (mines a stubby beer bottle!) above everything and make sure the tube stays submerged. I pumped half a stubby beer bottle of brake fluid through.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gave the VFR a wash, still surprises me how clean it comes up for a 17 year old bike! I need to remove the rear wheel/chain cover at some point to properly clean the swingarm, the bits I can get to come up well but there's loads I can't reach.

Only managed a few hours on the bike Saturday evening, a nice run down to Hastings - riding to work and back all week you feel less inclined to ride at the weekend, espcially when it's a bit too hot.

Soldato
Really good nick that mate.

Thinking about doing a DIY respray on the bike. The paint is all faded, scratched and sad looking really. Father in law has a garage big enough and a compressor I can use. This will probably be a slow-ish transformation as the plastics are one color and have large stickers on them as well.

I'll use epoxy to smooth out the crash damage. Will probably go for a satin or gloss black once I've done isolator and filler primer.

Has anyone chosen to do this before? What were the results?

Man of Honour
So my piece of crap YBR that looks like it may well have been ridden into battle by the Taliban in a past life passed it's MOT this morning with one single advisory for a bent foot peg where I dropped it.

Need to get my SV into that garage this time, after the bullcrap advisories and fails that got from my usual place last year!

Soldato
I remember 37 years ago my yamaha rd 250 needed an mot the tester leant against a wall smoking a ciggy and said it's past but you need to tighten the chain boy.... lol.

Just remembered his name Richard.

Last edited:
Associate
I fitted some Chinese short levers to my Z650 but soon took them off as i have read bad things about them on the web. Don't know whether to put them back on or not. They seem pretty well made and fit pretty good......ho hum

Man of Honour
Keep an eye on the brake lever to make sure it's not constantly applying a tiny bit of pressure due to being a bit big apart from that I've had mine on for 2 years and over 20k miles and they've been perfect.

Man of Honour
Cable or hydraulic? Cable that's down to how you adjust it, hydraulic I guess the pin that acts on the MC maybe a slightly different length causing a different feel.

Back
Top Bottom