What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Service done yesterday, and the front pads are about 70% worn - I suspected they'd be a bit iffy, as the braking hasn't felt great for the last few thousand miles, so that's a nice job I'll get to do - might wait until next season though, saves scrubbing pads in during carp weather

Soldato
You need to ditch the cat to really open up the noise. Slip on cans don’t do it justice!
Tbh, I've done the whole noisy can malarky - and as I quite enjoy long trips out, I know it would get on my wick making too much noise all the time.

I've disconnected the flapper in the exhaust, which was for noise emissions, and the slip on has certainly made it louder and deeper - and that's fine for me. It's certainly loud enough to scare wildlife into my path :D

Soldato
Tbh, I've done the whole noisy can malarky - and as I quite enjoy long trips out, I know it would get on my wick making too much noise all the time.

I've disconnected the flapper in the exhaust, which was for noise emissions, and the slip on has certainly made it louder and deeper - and that's fine for me. It's certainly loud enough to scare wildlife into my path :D
I’m sort of 50/50 on the noise thing now.

Some days I’ll absolutely love it and think I’ve made the right choice, other times it really grates on me after an hour and I’m wishing I had a quieter bike :p

Last edited:
Associate
When I'm tempted by all the decat stuff I recall how Mallory Park noise limits will soon be at 10dB :(. If a bunch of residents can make a race circuit keep quiet I want to do everything reasonable to avoid giving more excuses to the other 60 million to make the same thing happen on my fun roads :p.

Associate
When I'm tempted by all the decat stuff I recall how Mallory Park noise limits will soon be at 10dB :(. If a bunch of residents can make a race circuit keep quiet I want to do everything reasonable to avoid giving more excuses to the other 60 million to make the same thing happen on my fun roads :p.
10dB? So they're going to ban light winds? :D :D

Soldato
I bought a nearly new Versys 650 Grand Tourer with 12000 miles on, with new boots on and chain and sprockets which i've been after for a while because it suits my arm disability perfectly. Like a kid at Xmas!! Still keeping my CBR as a play toy because when i ride that enthusiastically it's fine but when I ride at speed limit then i'm hurting.
Bartered a tracker into the deal and £100 off and they've said they'll service it before i buy it. Having a hugger and fender extender fitted before i buy it because prevention is better than cure. Got 3 months of Kawasaki warranty and £300 for another 2years warranty so will buy that. 12k miles is a lot for a bike but this is a tourer and couldn't see any rust bar a spring clip on rear shock so think it was well maintained.

Overall £6,500 for the 2022 bike and bits which i think is a good deal given it's £10.5k for a new one. There's probably better out there but this is a local dealer who knows me because i used to race against him and he used to give my cheap or free bits for racing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I bought a nearly new Versys 650 Grand Tourer with 12000 miles on, with new boots on and chain and sprockets which i've been after for a while because it suits my arm disability perfectly. Like a kid at Xmas!! Still keeping my CBR as a play toy because when i ride that enthusiastically it's fine but when I ride at speed limit then i'm hurting.
Bartered a tracker into the deal and £100 off and they've said they'll service it before i buy it. Having a hugger and fender extender fitted before i buy it because prevention is better than cure. Got 3 months of Kawasaki warranty and £300 for another 2years warranty so will buy that. 12k miles is a lot for a bike but this is a tourer and couldn't see any rust bar a spring clip on rear shock so think it was well maintained.

Overall £6,500 for the 2021 bike and bits which i think is a good deal given it's £10.5k for a new one. There's probably better out there but this is a local dealer who knows me because i used to race against him and he used to give my cheap or free bits for racing.

Nice dude, congrats :)

What disability have you got? I'm sure I saw you posting in here years ago about racing a 600, think it was a Kwak 636 iirc. Was that you?

Soldato
Nice dude, congrats :)

What disability have you got? I'm sure I saw you posting in here years ago about racing a 600, think it was a Kwak 636 iirc. Was that you?
Cheers. I'm stoked and keen as mustard.

I was racing CBR 600s from 2002-2008 with a year racing a GSX-R1000 in 2007.
I had my infamous accident in June 2008 which ended my race career. :D
I have a titanium rod in left femur, and leg femur, knee, tib/fib all rebuilt, left little finger doesn't work, healed broken left arm but the biggest problem riding a bike was that I destroyed my right arm.

The problem is I destroyed my elbow so I only have about 100° - 45° movement so it's permanently bent and I can't straighten it. It puts real strain on my shoulders and back leaving me in crippling agony after a few hours riding.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure to be honest, its definitely something i could look into though. I think LED indicators would look decent on the old gal.

Its really simple to fit LED indicators, don't mess around with resistors and the like. buy an adjustable relay and put it in place of your current relay, you can adjust the speed to whatever you want that way.

Direct replacement as well so its a simple job, something like this:

Soldato
Bought an Oxford Rainex cover for the ZX9 to hopefully keep the old girl safe and dry over the next few months. I've had the basic cheap Oxford Rain Cover for the GPZ and that's been "ok" - hopefully this new one will hold up a bit better. I really wanted to get the Stormex one, but it wouldn't fit into the smaller rucksack I took with me lol!!

Soldato
Found out my Versys does 280+ miles on a tank after I filled it up. That's cool and it's such a comfy ride. Not the fastest being a 650 but license saver... :D
How much does it cost to fill?
I was considering something more economical for a while, was getting boring filling up twice a week with no convenient petrol station on my commute.
But now the bike gets used at most once a week so not so much of an issue anymore...

Soldato
How much does it cost to fill?
I was considering something more economical for a while, was getting boring filling up twice a week with no convenient petrol station on my commute.
But now the bike gets used at most once a week so not so much of an issue anymore...

No idea tbh as I part filled it with E10 then filled it with E5. I think about £30. It's a big tank.

Soldato
The results of what didn't seem like a particularly bad downshift from 6-5th as I did it :( Sounded and felt like poop in 6th after but all the other gears sounded and felt fine. Anyway in to the dealers it went and with the engine completely stripped and cases split this was the result.

1290-Adv-gearbox.jpg

Bike is 2018 1290 Adventure R with 44k on it. Love that bike and no plans to sell it so gearbox is being rebuilt, new cam chains + guides and new rings as well. All the journals look in good condition so hopefully engine should be good for another 100k after this. Happy Christmas :rolleyes:

1290-Adv-engine.jpg

1290-Adv-engine-strip.jpg

Soldato
Not just today, but over the past week and a bit, I have been working on both the Bobber, and the VW Trike.

The Bobber is weirdly, somehow incredibly reliable, engine-wise, but disasterously problematic electically.
So, I have gone through the entire Electric system, and found a billion issues... Its earthed so poorly that I have had to find a fair few points to try earthing it better, but then I get shorting and all kinds of problems, and no its finally done I think? Only for the rear brake light to fail.. I try moving the switch a tad, but then the bracket snapped...

Its got a generic forward controls setup that is a disaster and thats questionable at best, but it does work.

So thats my concern now, and I will have to make a new bracket for it, but I will mount it better when I can be bothered.

The Trike has had a bit of a trickle of oil and so I had a proper look at that and I find the left drive shaft is done in... Not got it off yet, but maybe the CV Boot or a seal of some description, but should be easy enough to fix.

All I have done so far with that, is I have been spraying Carb & Clutch Cleaner all over it and wiping it down, and repeatign to get rid of the oil, and as I am disabled and have little use of one arm and very little leg and back strength, I cannot do thigns on my own and so I can only do stuff when I get help.

I hope to have some more help to do the next stage in the next couple of days.

Its been a real barrel of laughs cos my I have also had chores like hell with the car... The Saab has something that is draining the battery and while I left it for a couple of days, the battery drained completely.
This then stopped me from getting into the boot... Where my booster pack, charger, extention leads and power leads etc, are all inside! - I went to take the micra battery off just to put it into the saab, just to get the boot open, and after disconnecting it, I realised that the tool to undo its clip, is also in the boot of the saab, and so when I put the battery terminals back onto the Micra, the imobilizer kicked in and I forgot how to do that, and so that got me for a while.
The BNetter for the Saab is now in the house and I bought another charger but its been charging for 4 days now and while it showed as 5.7v at first, its now showing 9.8v and so, I hope that it will eventually fix the battery, but who knows? - The one in the boot will resurect batteries but I cannot open the bloody thing!

So, yeah, I have been busy but its been 90% of waiting LOL

Back
Top Bottom