What film did you watch last night?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The Conjuring...FINALLY a horror/ghost story that lived up to the hype, loved it from start to finish, got some genuine scares out of me. 9/10

It had quite a few teeth grinding tense moments and the general cinematic was excellent. No strange flashes of light or anything like that, just classic possession and ghostly happenings. Genuinely creepy feeling.

Caporegime
Watched the second half of Die Hard With A Vengeance last night after flicking around the channels.

Great film, but it really struck me just how incessant the swearing is... Absolutely non-stop.

Soldato
Batman Begins (2005)

The first time I watched this I would have given it 9 or 10. After watching for the 3rd time I picked up on some minor annoyances, like the "summoning of the bats" which isn't really explained. Some of the action scenes and fight scenes really aren't all that. They lack any detail and didn't really grip me on the edge of my seat. The continuous gassing of the cast at close range, when the perpetrator is unaffected.

There is a lot more cheese in the dialogue than what I first realised, I imagined the film was much darker and edgier. I think this is because of how the 2nd and 3rd played out. These are all just minor grievances that, when compared to Dark Knight and Rises, you realise how much more refined the sequels were.

I still love this film. It is great, I would watch again, and again. 7.5/10

Batman - The Dark Knight (2008)

After watching "Begins" this film surpasses that one in every way. It's so much more refined. The screenplay is amazing, Nolans do an awesome job of the Joker and Heath puts his name on it and fills the role to perfection. The fact he died does not elevate the rating of his performance like some said around that time. He was simply the best actor in this movie and perfectly cast for this role.

The action scenes are much more complete, unlike Begins. In this sequel you see punches thrown and bodies flying, rather than a blurry mess like the first movie. The acting is more swept up by Bale and Maggie Gyllenhaal puts in a better performance than cruises missus in Begins. The dialogue cheese has been cut right down and the film can be taken more seriously than the first. Even Michael Caine is a more believable character than the quirky one-line cringester he was originally.

At some points I found there was a lot going on in the storyline, the tempo meant the story moved really quickly so rewatching the movie was a must for me (this being about the 4th viewing for me). I like the fact the character of Batman rings more true to what comic fans will recognise (if you believe Begins did this, then you're kidding yourself). In this sequel we see hints of Batman wanting to give up his caped crusader role and settle down for a normal life with the woman he loves. That is the kind of humanity that fans will be familiar with.

The effects on Dents face are brilliant. The effects overall were fantastic and not too unbelievable, except perhaps the mobile phone sonar gizmo! Can't really fault the film except minor things, like there was a lot of assumption in the plot. Like characters relied on the assumption someone would do as they planned (like the joker knew Dent would lose it at the end) or assumptions on timings (like the Batman being able to set his det charges precisely on time to explode when he needed to or make his bat car fly through the air at exactly the moment the joker fired the RPG), but this is just nit picking now.

9.5/10 (Was 10/10 when I first watched it, but then the 3rd movie came out ;) )

Soldato
Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

A fair to middling adaptation of a classic William Gibson cyberpunk story.
Johnny is a Mnemonic, a data courier who gets more than he bargains for when he accepts one last job to help pay for surgery to remove his wet-ware implant.

Keanu starts out rough as sandpaper and then finds his groove and settles in, Ice-T doesn't need to act, his own persona works no matter where he goes (Law & Order is a great example) whilst Takeshi Kitano fits nicely into his role.

Not bad, but not everything it could have been, 7.5/10.

Associate
RED - 3/10

It's based off a comic, got an all-star cast (Bruce Willis et al),and is about retired spooks kicking booty.

I watched it, and my main thought was 'meh'. The plot was non-existent at worst and dull at best.

Soldato
Quite a few faggy time romance-esque films this weekend for me.

Drinking Buddies - 7/10
I personally love this style of film, very very natural conversation (90% improv) and a real heart about it. No hollywood cliche plot points, just realistic representations of interpersonal relationships. Jake Johnson is great, Olivia Wilde is super hot as always (which doesn't quite match up with her personality in this case) overall I enjoyed it very much. I can see why some people would not get on with it all though, it's a bit marmite. Horrible ending too :p.

The Lifeguard - 6/10
So-So, fairly typical festival film. Drops a couple of heavy bits towards to the end to squeeze some emotion out of you but is mostly a weird coming of age / mid life crisis mess. It did make me think about this 'quarter life crisis' term being banded around the media lately, and I totally get it and can see it happening to me! :o.

Like Crazy - 8/10
Feels like the film 500 Days of Summer wanted to be, deep down. Again very charming, natural and realistic representation of highs and lows. Also stars one of the most painfully attractive women I've ever experienced, much like 500 Days of Summer & Silver Linings Playbook if you accidentally fall for the chick in this film it will be all the more effective and honestly she is off the scale stunning. Want. Watch it.

Caporegime
watched the new dredd last night utter bs

how people have rated that 8/10 or above i dont know.

its basically a block of flats and fighting to get up it to the end.

the original is better id give it 2/10 at best.

Soldato
It had quite a few teeth grinding tense moments and the general cinematic was excellent. No strange flashes of light or anything like that, just classic possession and ghostly happenings. Genuinely creepy feeling.

I was so relieved they resisted the urge for a final twist/scare at the end with the jack in the box mirror, credit to the director for not adding something. I'm fairly sure the studio would have been pushing for something with sequels in mind.

Caporegime
Took my boy to see Monster University. Now I love Pixar films and the similar Disney ones like most people but this was utter ****. Dull, rubbish story, rubbish pace and just not funny at all.

Monster Inc is one of my very fav pixar films, this I will never watch again. Pixars Phantom menance ;) Even Disneys Cars 2 is a better 2nd film than this drivel.

2/10 :(

Soldato
unbreakable - the mrs hadnt seen it so thought id watch it again, really enjoy this film love the concept of it

the woman - o good lord this is why netflix sucks. i literally want to pull my eyes out it was that terrible, but i refuse to turn a film off just incase, but no it just got worse and worse absolutly shocking! 0/10

The Wolverine - saved the weekend, really enjoyed it and so did the mrs, for reasons i believe is more to do with hugh jackman. 9/10 for me. if you havent seen it yet make sure you stay after the credits (as im sure most of you would anyway :) )

Soldato
Worlds End - 6/10 Probably the least good of the 3 films (Shaun and Hot Fuzz) amusing in places but not much else. Goes a bit Doctor Who after the first half hour.

Dredd - 5/10 #inappropriate films to watch when your 8 months old won't sleep at 3am. I want to like it and it is much closer to the source than anything else before but its still a bit of a meh film.

The Machinist - 7/10 scores high-ish because when it all ties up at the end I think its quite clever. The colours in the film are handled in a thoughtful fashion. Best watch of the weekend.

Associate
Only God Forgives - 6/10

Not to everyone's tastes. And definitely not as good as Drive but it was very well made. It had very interesting imagery and ideas. I was never bored or unhappy.

Back
Top Bottom