What film did you watch last night?

Something in the Water (2024) - 3/10

Not sure who this film was made for as it was very bland and benign in pretty much every way.

The acting, was poor, the story was unoriginal and there was no tension or surprises.

Very unrealistic and like the cast, it treads water far too early and for too long and struggles to stay afloat.

The shark effects were ok, the tropical resort was beautiful, the odd joke humorous and the music was well implemented, but otherwise, nothing really memorable or to recommend.

The Bikeriders (2024) - 7/10

A well-made biopic of an American motorcycle club from its humble beginnings to its rather sad end.

Great acting, even if the cast seemed a bit type-cast, and it holds your interest with its occasional violence and drama, but it’s nothing you haven’t seen before in any other motorcycle club themed production.

It really is just a group of people living their lifestyle – the social events, the loyalty of the ‘old boys’, the downfall as outsiders/ youth corrupt the original ideals and the role of the wives.

It dragged on a bit towards the end and didn’t look at the impact on the wider society, but as a look into a tight-knit community, I wasn’t expecting it to.

Arkansas https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9139586/

I saw this mentioned a page or two back. And seeing as I like Vince Vaughn and John Malkovich, this looked to be right up my street.
And it didn't disappoint, either. The character Swin made me chuckle a few times and I found him to be a likeable addition.
Liam Hemsworth also delivered, providing an effective and suitable contrast to Swin, and, of course, John Malkovich and Vince Vaughn were predictably on form.

Some solid music thrown in for good measure too.

For some reason, I assumed that Chris Hemsworth was also in this, not Liam Hemsworth.
In fact, come to think of it, I don't remember seeing any of the Hemsworths in much over the years that I can recall, save for Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga.
I guess, by and large, they've featured in films that aren't normally what I tend to watch or check out.

Last edited:
Carry On Sergeant 1958.

The only "Carry on" film that actually has a meaningful title, as that phrase is/was used in the Army, the rest of the films were just a play on the words. A nice family type film, not filled with filth and innuendos like the later ones. I have seen it a few times before but I watched it with my partner for the first time. Starred William Hartnell, the first Dr Who and Bob Monkhouse looking very young. We both really enjoyed it and my partner was very surprised she liked it too. I would recommend watching it if you have not seen it before.

I was in the army cadets and they were using weapons that I was trained on such as the Lee Enfield .303 rifle and the Bren gun. 8/10

Last edited:
"Bad Boys: Ride or Die". Really enjoyed it TBH. Martin Lawrence does not look healthy at the start of the film and throughout he sounds almost drunk. However, he and Will Smith carry the film well and it is very expertly made, with just the right amount of ridiculous 90s-era action BS thrown in. A worthy entry in the series. Especially when you consider the first one came out in 1995!:eek:

On a related point, at £15 a ticket for a standard 2D showing, I remembered why I don't go to the cinema very often nowadays. :rolleyes:

"Bad Boys: Ride or Die". Really enjoyed it TBH. Martin Lawrence does not look healthy at the start of the film and throughout he sounds almost drunk. However, he and Will Smith carry the film well and it is very expertly made, with just the right amount of ridiculous 90s-era action BS thrown in. A worthy entry in the series. Especially when you consider the first one came out in 1995!:eek:

On a related point, at £15 a ticket for a standard 2D showing, I remembered why I don't go to the cinema very often nowadays. :rolleyes:
Wow. My Cineworld Unlimited card only costs me £10.99 per month.

Back
Top Bottom