What film did you watch last night?

Watched two tonight:

Seven Pounds - 8/10

Leaves you guessing for a little but it comes together very nicely and is subtle and touching. Better than I expected!

Drive - 4/10

Didn't like this. Acting was generally poor and emotionless. Plot flow was weak, music and sound effects were noticeably sub-par. The film also clearly made some trade offs in script and continuity/realism in a misguided effort to seem poignant. This further distanced it from any sense of believe-ability, which, although not always necessary in films, was really needed here to give any credibility to what was there.

And one from yesterday:

Lawless - 5/10

Apparently based on a true story, this took a while to really get going. Due to this, it's hard to become invested in the characters until it's too late - i.e. plot moves and the moment has passed. The movie appears to promise a much bigger story than it finally delivers. Acting was OK, not great, direction didn't stand out for me.

Forgot to add from last week:

The Wolverine - 8/10

As a fan of the genre and protagonist, this came through for me. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the potential, but it did well. The first hour was particularly good - direction and artistic design created some beautiful scenes and shots that drop you straight into the world. I can only assume some of this must have been lifted from the comic books (haven't read them). The film is really about the development of the Wolverine character after the events of the previous X-Men films. He has to deal with perpetual loss, losing the will to live (but being unable to do anything about it) and then love. This is dealt with convincingly by Hugh Jackman, who really seems to have perfected the character now. Supporting acting varied, and the plot still contains some of the more outrageous content that keeps it true to the comic book roots. Without this, it would simply be a character study alone. Framed in context, the personal journey of the Wolverine is appreciated all the more. Although the franchise overall is pretty tired, I certainly wouldn't turn down watching another story from Logan's past.

Last one from two weeks ago:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 6/10

Whilst the love that had clearly gone into crafting the world, setting the shots and fleshing out the characters flowed through the entire movie, I still found the slow plot just frustrating. I felt the same way about The Lord of the Rings as I do this. Should you be able to look past that, then you're in for a treat, as the film is immersive, and the acting is brilliant. Not being enough of a fan of the book or genre, it feels as though creating 3 movies to cover this story is simply indulgent (I'm sure the studios aren't complaining too much though), and I would prefer to see the short version with just the best bits. However, I can totally appreciate that it would be removing some of the magic from the other areas in which the film shines. Not for me, but if you like this genre then you may well enjoy it!

Last edited:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 6/10

Whilst the love that had clearly gone into crafting the world, setting the shots and fleshing out the characters flowed through the entire movie, I still found the slow plot just frustrating. I felt the same way about The Lord of the Rings as I do this. Should you be able to look past that, then you're in for a treat, as the film is immersive, and the acting is brilliant. Not being enough of a fan of the book or genre, it feels as though creating 3 movies to cover this story is simply indulgent (I'm sure the studios aren't complaining too much though), and I would prefer to see the short version with just the best bits. However, I can totally appreciate that it would be removing some of the magic from the other areas in which the film shines. Not for me, but if you like this genre then you may well enjoy it!

Watched this again recently, I like this genre, and it still fails for me.

The characters are far from 'fleshed out' they are cgi toons flying around the screen for which I felt nothing. The acting was as good as the film allowed, but the previous trilogy felt far more immersive. Three films for a single kids book is ridiculous and it was just a disappointing experience.

Prometheus - 8/10. Better than I'd been led to believe.

I enjoyed it the same, as with everything, it's all a matter of personal experience. Me i roll with it, unless it's off the proverbial cliff, aka decent 2.

Prometheus is just that, easy on the eye, decent production, with the tropes of the series all in. Definately on of those films that if you dig at it, you'll find the holes and scream for answers if thats you're thing, hence the popular thing to do of the internet.

Paycheck myself last night, not seen it before... phillip K so had the interest.

Think it could have been better than somebody other than affleck who's fairly wooden in his performance, never realy exicted. All saying the cast was decent as a whole, the premise and setup all rained in, not Mr K's best story though.

Good 7

Watched the place beyond the pines, what an utterly awesome movie it is. Superb performance by Gosling as usual who seems to suit this type of movie. Liked Drive as well very much. Thought Bradley Cooper was pretty good in this as well but the ending is a bit of twist which i never saw coming.
Great soundtrack as well...8/10 for me.

just watched this as well and agreed - great film. Really well told, and the directing and pace is really fresh and welcome as far as im concerned.

Equilibrium - 6/10

Christian Bale conveys no emotion well at the start of this film. Whether that's a compliment to his acting or not, I can't be sure! Overall I found it watchable, but you have to make an effort to believe in the dystopian future that's laid out, which is relatively hard work. Past that, the action scenes are OK, though feel very rehearsed in places. I would say this movie clearly was riding on 'The Matrix' wave in the early noughties and hasn't really aged all that well.

The Lookout - 8/10

I was pleasantly surprised by how great this movie is. It's not an epic, or a huge story, but it slowly gripped my interest and didn't let go until the near-end. Joseph Gordon-Levitt sets a hugely impressive standard of acting that we now know has landed him much bigger roles in some massive blockbusters in recent years. To support, we have Jeff Daniels who also puts on a delightfully convincing performance. The film centers around Chris Pratt, a teenager who makes a huge mistake in his life for which he bears both the physical and mental scars. His vulnerability is taken advantage of by a group of criminals who involve him in a bank heist. At this point Chris finds a new sense of self-realisation, begins to free himself from guilt and does the right thing. The plot is purely an enabler to allow Chris to embark on his personal journey and begin the rest of his life, but it's well-grounded and believable. Once again though, the portrayal of Chris by Gordon-Levitt is as close to spot-on as one may hope and results in a thoroughly satisfying watch. Highly recommended!

Back
Top Bottom