What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Grandmaster

I loved it, despite it's storytelling faults and likely historical inaccuracy :)
I found myself utterly enthralled with the beauty of the visuals and inner message.

Don't go into it expecting another installment of Ip Man or some kind of Ong Bak face breaking escapade.

Think more along the lines of Crouching Tiger and maybe watch a few Wong Kar Wai films first.

Caporegime
So if the film is good then its okay?

Interesting. Wonder where Balckadder Goes Forth stands in this moral ambiguity.

I've deliberately bailed out of this discussion, partly because I will find it hard to defend my point when I've not seen a film I'm criticising, and partly because the distinctions will become increasingly fine grained. I'm not admitting defeat, but neither am I claiming victory. I'm abandoning the argument for fear of needlessly derailing the thread.

Associate
Riddick (2013)

It brings back the style of ‘Pitch Black’, but lacks the interesting characters and tension that made the former a success. The beginning is too slow, too long and takes itself far too seriously before moving into its predictable plot. However, Riddick is as bad-ass as ever, there’s enough black humour to keep it interesting, and the special effects and aliens are well designed.

5/10

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Michael Bay has made two good films: The Rock and Bad Boys.

Got too agree with that, I think Bay is one of these directors that work better within limits and when he is let off the hook as he is with Transformers it all becomes a mess.

Watched Kick ass 2, not a bad film but it takes ages to get going and spoils the film over all.

Soldato
Transformers is a very enjoyable film I thought!

Surely this comment is in jest?
On the IMDB forums, Transformers is used as the yardstick of a bad movie.

For me, Transformers was all about the bots and their fight scenes. The story line was based around those fight scenes.

And the fight scenes were not great. Most of the time you didnt know who the good bot was and who the bad bot was.

All in all, due to the extremely poor storyline - its a poor film.

The Exorcist.

I love watching this, not because "omg its the scariest movie evar!", not even close these days, but because it still has some of the most unsettling atmosphere in film and puts a lot of modern stuff to shame.

8/10

Caporegime
I like a fair amount of MB films, the rock is easily the best one though.

Personally love the transformer films even though I am a massive fan of the G1 cartoons, but I am not one of these people who cry about it not "following the comic, books etc.!?!?!" ;) :p

"judge something on its own merits"

Just finished watching the new star trek film:

AMAZING! If you liked the first then you will love this one. Khan was a superb character.

8/10

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm watching it right now and I disagree. The robots are just plain annoying to watch, can't tell the difference between Autobots and Decepticons easily, battle scenes are too confusing too follow. It's just not that enjoyable in my opinion.

Surely this comment is in jest?
On the IMDB forums, Transformers is used as the yardstick of a bad movie.

For me, Transformers was all about the bots and their fight scenes. The story line was based around those fight scenes.

And the fight scenes were not great. Most of the time you didnt know who the good bot was and who the bad bot was.

All in all, due to the extremely poor storyline - its a poor film.

O_o

Soldato

Nail on the head.

Definately easier to watch in the living room than the local World of Cine. Second one was *slightly* better for this, but still terrible. Can only imagine how much more tertrible it would be in 3D!

Soldato
Bling Ring - based on a true story, low budget indie flick with emma watson about teens who live in LA and get in to trouble for looting celebs and being addicted to that lifestyle. You were just waiting for them to get caught in it, so mega suspense, but that's kind of all. Fell flat as plots went and never came through to finish well or go anywhere.

4/10

Back
Top Bottom