What film did you watch last night?

yes but there's countless films that have major twists towards the end. If you were to watch these and base a review solely on the first half then you'd say most were rubbish.

What kind of twist are you suggesting is hidden in the second half of an adaptation of A Christmas Carol? It's not like Bill Murray is going to turn out to be Keyser Soze at the end.

Besides, most twist endings are absolutely atrocious. Hollywood is obsessed with twist endings and most are ridiculous.

Not really a film as such, but I've just watched the 25th anniversary recording of The Phantom Of The Opera from the Royal Albert Hall from 2011. I've not seen the show or any of the films. It was pretty good, insofar as I'm not a huge fan of musicals. The sound and music was amazing, and obviously the vocals are brilliant. The picture quality (I was watching on blu ray) was a bit dodgy in parts, particularly in some of the quicker bits, like the dances. Maybe something to do with it being lit for the stage, rather than for filming.

So yeah, pretty good.

Big Stan
8/10
A silly comedy all about the fear of male rape in prison.
The male lead is going to prison and is petrified of getting raped.
If you like gay jokes, then you should like this one.
Very funny.

What kind of twist are you suggesting is hidden in the second half of an adaptation of A Christmas Carol? It's not like Bill Murray is going to turn out to be Keyser Soze at the end.

Besides, most twist endings are absolutely atrocious. Hollywood is obsessed with twist endings and most are ridiculous.

There are loads of films that the second half is far better then the first half, I Am Number 4 is one of the top of my head

Zero dark thirty - pretty decent film, nice storyline and good acting. 8/10

Also I'd recommend Olympus has Fallen - really good film, some good shoot-outs and again, a good storyline. 9/10

Last edited:
yes but there's countless films that have major twists towards the end. If you were to watch these and base a review solely on the first half then you'd say most were rubbish.

Indeed there are, but Scrooged is not of them, infact, the ending of Scrooged is so saccharine sweet as to be positivley nauseating, any laughs & entertainment earned in the first half are utterly negated by the syrupy second half.

Less most definatley would've been more in this case.

There are loads of films that the second half is far better then the first half, I Am Number 4 is one of the top of my head

I Am Number Four. 6.1/10 at imdb. Presumably the first half is 4/10 and the second is 8/10?

If a film is no good in the first half, why would I expect it to suddenly be twice as good in the second half? I have plenty of consistently good films I can watch without wasting an hour of my time on dross for an hour that may or may not be gold.

And frankly I doubt there are that many films where the first half is so much worse than the second half as to be worth noting. I expect they are average or bad throughout, with maybe one or two good scenes.

Cabin in the Woods. 10/10

Surprised I've never seen or heard of this film, expected it at the start to be a stereotypical slasher/horror film. But the fact it takes the mick of film stereotypes is amazing not to mention the twists and turns.

Gravity. 9/10

Although a great film, after being dragged through miss congeniality by the missus couldn't help but think it was the 3rd film of the series set in space. I guess her acting in both films were too similar to pull me into the character.

Attack of the clones
This movie is worse every time i watch it
Even the yoda fight is poor when rewatched, the closeups of lee as he cant move from far away, intercut in an awful fashion
Just awful acting by virtually all the cast, even the seasoned escellent actors

Hate it, hate most of star wars now, lucas ruined it so badly

Trollhunter. I wasn't expecting much with it being one of those "we found these tapes and no trace of the people who made the film can be found" types of films. But it was actually quite enjoyable. The CGI is a bit iffy in places, but it wasn't made with a Hollywood budget and it's not bad in the iffy bits. Quite funny in places too. And there's some fantastic scenic shots of Norway throughout. 7/10

Long Christmas evenings and nothing worth watching on TV, so I'm watching the Extended Ed LoTR again. Two down, one to go. The bits which were chopped do explain some other bits rather more than the original version, but I think the decision to cut them was generally right - I've never understood people who seem to think that "Director's Cuts" are de facto better than cinema releases: usually they aren't. Or are just different.

Back
Top Bottom