What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Muppets Most Wanted 6/10.

It was ok, just like I thought the last one was 'ok'. It had its funny moments, Gervais was a bit annoying (as expected really) and the final credits sequence was excellent. The list of cameos was endless and the first song was fantastic, but at the end of it, it was just 'ok'. According to Kermode's mantra, comedy films must obey the 6 laugh rule, any less laughs, then they are bad comedy films. This one just scraped over.

I think its because I adore the Muppet Christmas Carol, I just don't think that can ever be topped.

Last edited:
Agreed. Poor films IMO.

LOTR films were great especially given the books they were based on really do go on, and on, and on..... Some needless changes and strange omissions but over-all I enjoyed them. The Hobbit films in comparison are poor but then the book is a relatively short children's novel and doesn't offer the necessary scope for 3 films. Added to that the utterly awful use of CGI.

Frozen

Very pleasantly surprised. A great family night in. Not as much humour as the likes of Shrek/Toy Story for us 'adults' but still enjoyable.

7.5/10

Soldato
The Counsellor - Got so much hate, but I actually liked it. yes its so slow, so very slow but when it all kicks in its depressing as anything. Its amazingly shot and I think everyone plays there part pretty well. 7.5/10

Saving Mr Banks - Heard a lot about this film, especially since it was snubbed by the Academy. Completely brilliant film, funny where it needs to be, great emotional ending and has a lot of charm about it. Emma Thompson really did deserve to be nominated at the very least. 9/10

Soldato
Any reason you gave The Wolf of Wall Street 1/10? Quite enjoyed it myself.

3 hour movie that had no point to it, just didn't like it that's all. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

--

the purge 6/10 had its moments
The Heat 6/10 some fumy bits but got a bit boring
Frozen 7/10 better than expected

Soldato
Frozen 7.5/10 - Quite enjoyed this actually. Big fan of animation in particular Pixar's and this was right up there. Bit too much singing etc early on but once I got into it I really enjoyed it. Good story line and the animation was very good even when watched on our crappy old 40" LCD.

Capt America 6/10 - found this okay at best. Storyline kept me interested and action was good but I'm not a big fan of repetitive sequal on sequal superhero films so probably just not my cup of tea.For this type of film average at best.

Associate
Went to the cinema to see Captain america 2 - absolutely loved it, I know some people viewed the first one as a bit bland and as just filler until the avengers, but the winter solider really buts captain america on the map, great all around film and has some big consequences for the marvel universe - Highly recommend watching it

Permabanned
Full Metal Jacket - 10/10

Enders game - Entertaining, but lacking any real substance 6/10

Scum 10/10 - it has it's flaws, but for it's time it's a classic piece of British cinema.

Soldato
The Bourne Legacy

An enjoyable bit of film to entertain me for two hours; I wasn't bored once!
It has a pretty weak connection to the original trilogy, which were fantastic imo, but it is enough of a connection to make the film not seem pointless!
The storyline is weak, and the acting pretty average, but good enough that I wouldn't have been angry had I gone to see it at the cinema.

5/10

August: Osage County

This film had a pretty low metascore (I know I shouldn't rely on it too much), so I didn't go in expecting much.
I was pleasantly surprised. Streep puts on a fantastic performance, which was definitely worth the Oscar nomination. The same goes for Roberts, who was also fantastic.
I thought that the story got a little confused at times, leaving a not very easy to follow plot.
Characters faded in and out quite quickly.

Overall a very solid film, with some top notch performances.

8/10

All of my scores are using the old system.

Back
Top Bottom