What film did you watch last night?

Jackdaw (2023)

British thriller set in the Northeast. Pretty average in almost every way, there's nothing here we haven't seen many times before.

A fairly low budget affair, bordering on an extented TV episode in terms of it overall production.

The opening 20 minutes are decent, but the film then decends further in to improbability as it goes on, especially for a film set in the UK.

I did enjoy the soundtrack but I'm guessing the writer/director went to the JJ Abram's school of lens flare. Although the film is mostly set during the night, so may have been unavoidable.

5/10

Kill (2023) - 8/10

Brutal, bloody and very violent but also in a Bollywood style with constant background music and overly dramatic romance scenes in slow-motion – I kept expecting them to break into song and dance up to a certain plot point. After that point however, it shifts up a gear and becomes shocking, gory and a little perverse at how much punishment is being dealt out on both sides.

The setting was used to very good effect and although simple, the plot was good and had some good points to make. It could have been a bit shorter and more consistent in its pacing, but highly entertaining and a little surprising, if unrealistic.

Although all subtitled, the language was a mix of English and Hindi with them alternating language mid-conversation, which seemed a bit odd.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 8/10. (4K/HDR version)

I can see why it was classed as a ‘video nasty’ when I was a kid. It is grimy and disturbing. I really liked the atmosphere of it and for something so low budget, the cinematography is great and really elevates it.

Only negatives are the acting is a little hammy from the guys and girls that get caught up in it all, and Sally’s screaming is a little annoying.

Not one for repeat viewing, but worth watching finally after all these years.

Bike Riders

the gangs name was changed for the movie, I think because there is a modern gang that sounds a lot the same
I thought Bikeriders was great actually. I’ve actually seen it twice. Great performances, sound, and music. Nice that it stayed away from the “biker gang” cliches.

I believe the real gang it’s based on is the Outlaws which was the second biggest gang after the Hells Angels.

City Hunter (2024) - 8/10

Goofy and immature but also quite funny with fun and fast paced fight scenes and plenty of light-hearted moments.

The plot is a mix of serious drama and quirky wackiness typical of Japanese culture - the sexy cosplay comes across as cheesy rather than sleazy and whilst the ‘super drug’ idea has been done before, it’s a fresh take and works well enough to explain some of the over-the-top-ness of the film.

The lead character is great as a womanizer and clown with a good heart and the support cast are ok, if a bit type-cast.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 8/10. (4K/HDR version)

I can see why it was classed as a ‘video nasty’ when I was a kid. It is grimy and disturbing. I really liked the atmosphere of it and for something so low budget, the cinematography is great and really elevates it.

Only negatives are the acting is a little hammy from the guys and girls that get caught up in it all, and Sally’s screaming is a little annoying.

Not one for repeat viewing, but worth watching finally after all these years.
Oh I've seen it loads of times! I love it! Lol!

I would say it's reasonably similar, a little more basic perhaps (although I don't think the originals were all that complex?)
Basic is fine, I just did not want something modern hollywood, moving away from the good points of the original. the trailers dont make it look good.

Back
Top Bottom