What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
As I said opinion aside, everyone has their own interests. This just doesn't make the cut. Inglorious ******** is Tarantino at his best.

Well there you go. Many would say Jackie Brown or Pulp Fiction.

Either way, this is nothing like any of them - except Reservoir Dogs in general setup.

Did we need to know anything about what Daisy's crew had been up to?
She's wanted, and has been taken to hang. That's all you really needed to know.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really wanted it to be brilliant like his other films, I'm sorry if you disagree but The Hateful Eight is garbage in terms of writing and screenplay. Comparing it to his other films surely anyone can see that?

Tarantino knew himself at the end of Inglorious ********. Brad Pitt's character Aldo says boldy "You know I think this might just be my masterpiece"

Man of Honour
Lol at any point did we ever find out what Daisy Domergue and her crew had been up to? Did we learn anything about the other characters and their antics before their meeting? It is impossible to feel any connection to the characters without a bit of back story.

yes did you miss half the film, the first half was all character building on the two bounty hunters. then the second half was trying to figure out the characters in the bar.

is it because no one wins, most people need a good ending, rather than everyone dead.

Caporegime
I really wanted it to be brilliant like his other films, I'm sorry if you disagree but The Hateful Eight is garbage in terms of writing and screenplay. Comparing it to his other films surely anyone can see that?

Tarantino knew himself at the end of Inglorious ********. Brad Pitt's character Aldo says boldy "You know I think this might just be my masterpiece"

And even then, he was wrong. Pulp Fiction was his masterpiece and will not be bettered. Two thirds of Inglourious ******** is spectacular. The back third is rubbish.

Soldato
yes did you miss half the film, the first half was all character building on the two bounty hunters.

I'm afraid not. I watched it twice just to be sure I had seen what I thought I had. The beginning of the film is great and interesting, the dialogue is good and draws you in. When the other characters are introduced it's as if Tarantino started panicking not knowing how to fit it all in to one film so stripped it down to the most basic of interactions. His narration over the start of the chapter "Daisy has a secret" was completely unnecessary and horribly misplaced. Just like Morricone's soundtrack in places. It's all very awkward and it just doesn't work well.

Soldato
And even then, he was wrong. Pulp Fiction was his masterpiece and will not be bettered. Two thirds of Inglourious ******** is spectacular. The back third is rubbish.

It's really close between the two for me. The opening scene of Inglorious ******** is probably one of the greatest scenes in film history I can't think of any other scene that draws in the viewer the way it does, its riveting yet highly uncomfortable sitting on the edge of your seat. The bar scene is similar. As much as Pulp Fiction is an incredibly close second it just doesn't have the same impact and mix of emotions.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Those individual scenes are great, but as a whole IB is a lesser film due to a lack of consistency. No one bit of PF is as good as the opening of IB, sure, but PF has no standout weak bits, while IB definitely does.

It's like you can't say the BTTF trilogy is better than the Toy Story trilogy just because the first one is arguably the best film ever made. The sequels are just too poor.

Last edited:
Soldato
The mountain is not the bad guy. The mountain wasn't doing anything to anyone. The climbers are the enemy.

Way to read my post and not understand it at all, if you did, you wouldn't have wrote the above. People give personality to things.

To many climbers the mountain is the enemy, something there to be beaten, something to prove yourself against.

Soldato
Those individual scenes are great, but as a whole IB is a lesser film due to a lack of consistency. No one bit of PF is as good as the opening of IB, sure, but PF has no standout weak bits, while IB definitely does.

It's like you can't say the BTTF trilogy is better than the Toy Story trilogy just because the first one is arguably the best film ever made. The sequels are just too poor.

That's true, I love Pulp Fiction and I can't fault it in any place. I guess the scenes in ******** stand out more so because they are exceptionally well executed. I love the French scenes between Shoshanna and Zoller too.

Tarantino set a benchmark of clever story telling with layered but separate story lines, interesting dialogue and character interaction. My disappointment with the Hateful Eight comes from completely ignoring this pre established standard. It's cheap and not clever in the slightest, it's like he completely lost the plot.

Caporegime
Way to read my post and not understand it at all, if you did, you wouldn't have wrote the above. People give personality to things.

To many climbers the mountain is the enemy, something there to be beaten, something to prove yourself against.

Wrong.

The mountain needs to be respected...they showed no respect and were clouded my chasing the dollar.

Ultimately their greed was the enemy.

Soldato
As much as I enjoyed TH8 the "Tarantinoisms" that were in it started to grate on me. What the heck was that all about with the door??? :confused: Some of the other bits niggled at me. I did enjoy Walton Goggins, as usual. He needs to be in more things. But, as said, quite a few parts were just cameos for people that had worked with QT before and didn't really add to the story (Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern) Oh and what the heck was Channing Tatum doing in this film???

Soldato
As much as I enjoyed TH8 the "Tarantinoisms" that were in it started to grate on me. What the heck was that all about with the door??? :confused: Some of the other bits niggled at me. I did enjoy Walton Goggins, as usual. He needs to be in more things. But, as said, quite a few parts were just cameos for people that had worked with QT before and didn't really add to the story (Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern) Oh and what the heck was Channing Tatum doing in this film???

It's as if he cherry picked all the wrong "Tarantinoisms". The Red Apple tobacco reference made me think "oh yeah that's clever I see what you did there.."

Completely agree that these actors added nothing to the story. Especially Channing Tatum, he just shouldn't have been there.

Caporegime
Bridge of Spies. Thought this was a throughly good film. Enjoyed it more than the revenant that I watched the night before.

I thought Mark Rylance was fantastic as the Russian spy. I'm certainly not surprised to see him favourite for a BAFTA for supporting actor. Slightly surprised that he is second favourite behind Stallone for an Oscar. We all know who the better actor is.

Pacing was good, just enough suspense, particularly at the end. Whole thing was well acted and well written. One of Hank's best for years IMO. A solid 8/10.

Caporegime

I understand the point about the mountain being personified like that, but the mountain was not out to get them and it was not the enemy. They were at fault, and the film doesn't acknowledge that adequately.

Basically, they made a film about one specific story: the idiocy of those particular expeditions, but told a different story: one about how hard mountain climbing is and how everyone dies. They get to show a horrible tragedy without adequately exploring the causes. The analysis is simplistic, because it never gets beyond the fact that mountain climbing is dangerous. Well, duh, everyone knows that. But you know what? It's especially dangerous if you're an idiot, and they were idiots, or at least were being led up there by idiots.

Man of Honour

the door, is quite an important part, you know it's how the ending all unravels and is one of the many reasons he knows the owner is dead and they are all playing him. it even explains that to you towards the end.

Back
Top Bottom