What film did you watch last night?

A pastiche of a pastiche deserves no higher. I could give it a fan score, or treat it as just another action film in space, but that would be as pointless as your time spent on blockbuster garbage this year. :p

I guess if you discount any attempt in a Star Wars movie to look at the morality of the Rebellion, show the loss required in war to even get to the point of Luke busting that dam (for the amusement of Manchildren). You can write off Rogue One as a War Movie for Manchildren, while presumably ignoring the same criticism being levelled at the original?

I personally find the use of the word problematic on a number of levels. Seeing as how my dad took me as a 5 year old to see the original in 77 and he enjoyed it. Obviously between his industrial sheet roofing/movie going, he should have just grown up more. Whilst presumably my mum and girlies are given free reign to not attempt to destroy every iota of imagination and creativity left within them, in some pursuit of Real Manhood?

As said in Fight Club, everything is a copy of a copy. This one is simply better than the others and arguably could have eclipsed the original had it not had some flaws. I'm just not throwing the baby out with the bathwater (or toys out of pram) when reviewing it. :)

Last edited:
I guess if you discount any attempt in a Star Wars movie to look at the morality of the Rebellion, show the loss required in war to even get to the point of Luke busting that damn (for the amusement of Manchildren). You can write off Rogue One as a War Movie for Manchildren, while presumably ignoring the same criticism being levelled at the original?

Did I say anything about the original, or where I place SWs in the great pantheon of cinematic mythology? Although I've always taken a dim view of expanded universes, sequel farming and the like -- be concise and leave something to the imagination. A hero may have a thousand faces, but he most certainly does not need a thousand mediocre plots about each one; being marginally more passable than all the other Team Hollywood slurry isn't exactly a grand endorsement.

I personally find the use of the word problematic on a number of levels. Seeing as how my dad took me as a 5 year old to see the original in 77 and he enjoyed it. Obviously between his industrial sheet roofing/movie going, he should have just grown up more. Whilst presumably my mum and girlies are given free reign to not attempt to destroy every iota of imagination and creativity left within them, in some pursuit of Real Manhood?

Equally, I did not say anything about the value of escapism, but the movie was clearly batting for the home team's feels and sympathy dollars, and it showed, apparently and badly. Like the layering in Pixar's films -- some productions are for adults who refuse to grow up, or wish to escape; when done at a fanfic level, though, it's not enjoyable. Play with your imaginations all you want, but don't make this movie some kind of light in the darkness -- it ain't. If its best parts were left on the cutting room floor, I may revise my opinion, but for now all we have is the current theatrical release with all its flaws, shot as a WWII picture with none of the impact, historical gravity or, outside a few cameos, much use of the universe it resides in.

As said in Fight Club, everything is a copy of a copy. This one is simply better than the others and arguably could have eclipsed the original had it not had some flaws. I'm just not throwing the baby out with the bathwater (or toys out of pram) when reviewing it. :)

And you're free to form your independent opinion. The baby, like the infamous parrot, is dead, however.

Did I say anything about the original, or where I place SWs in the great pantheon of cinematic mythology? Although I've always taken a dim view of expanded universes, sequel farming and the like -- be concise and leave something to the imagination. A hero may have a thousand faces, but he most certainly does not need a thousand mediocre plots about each one; being marginally more passable than all the other Team Hollywood slurry isn't exactly a grand endorsement.

Not only did you not say anything about what you think of Star Wars or Empire Strikes Back etc, you still haven't. I guess if you don't think much of StarWars/ESB your review would make more sense. None of which addresses, if you can apply a valueless dig, Dam Busters for Manchildren to Rogue One, how about the original?

Equally, I did not say anything about the value of escapism, but the movie was clearly batting for the home team's feels and sympathy dollars, and it showed, apparently and badly. Like the layering in Pixar's films -- some productions are for adults who refuse to grow up, or wish to escape; when done at a fanfic level, though, it's not enjoyable. Play with your imaginations all you want, but don't make this movie some kind of light in the darkness -- it ain't. If its best parts were left on the cutting room floor, I may revise my opinion, but for now all we have is the current theatrical release with all its flaws, shot as a WWII picture with none of the impact, historical gravity or, outside a few cameos, much use of the universe it resides in.

You appear to Ignore the attempt (such as it was) to handle the grey of war, which had the potential to point star wars in direction more interesting than it's propaganda war movie roots in my opinion. None of what you've said really addresses use of the "manchild" nonsense. Your opinion may be that it was aiming at harking back to childhood, oddly I'd have to suggest this is probably the least childhood/feels friendly Star War film ever made.

And you're free to form your independent opinion. The baby, like the infamous parrot, is dead, however.

If you're the Parrot Doctor, I'm looking for a second opinion :)

Last edited:
Guys this isn't GD, lets stick to the movies.

The Revenant.

Watched again last night. Epic film. DiCaprio was fantastic. I honestly can't recall another film that portrayed the human struggle of survival in such realistic terms. Brilliant.

Not only didn't you not say anything about what you think of Star Wars or Empire Strikes Back etc, you still haven't. I guess if you don't think much of StarWars/ESB your review would make more sense. None of which addresses, if you can apply a valueless dig, Dam Busters for Manchildren to Rogue One, how about the original?

The original was more of a hidden fortress, and for the time, being a turn towards social sci-fi, deserving of a consideration. However, my view is quite straightforward: Lucas had an idea he struggled to implement with the technology at hand and his ability as a creator, time and time again. SW thus fell into a predictable trap of just one more try... at something, anything. LucasFilm should've moved on after the prequels, if not before. With the spin-offs it is becoming a bad parody of itself. Yuck!

As for the dig, did you cry at the end? If you're an adult or a reasonably mature teenager, I doubt it. The film is not moving in any shape or form as currently shot and delivered -- it was its whole point (the goofy storm troopers -- never looked menacing, silly rebel kit, the deaths, quasi-science and Flash Gordon level campiness do make the effort difficult, I grant you; pew, pew and all that is hard to build a gritty war drama out of), and it delivered a badly cut gallivant through a jump-cut galaxy of little substance. What was a few lines and scenes in the original is now a two-hour movie, which like the prequels, sticks out like a sore thumb (since once more the team chose to change tack and focus) -- hooray!

You appear to Ignore the attempt (such as it was) to handle the grey of war, which had the potential to point star wars in direction more interesting than it's propaganda war movie roots in my opinion. None of what you've said really addresses use of the "manchild" nonsense. Your opinion may be that it was aiming at harking back to childhood, oddly I'd have to suggest this is probably the least childhood/feels friendly film ever made.

Oh, please, spare me the sop about the great 'grey of war' attempt, and the new unexplored directions. Do. Or do not. There is not try.

If the team had it in them, they'd have delivered; they had not. The source material clearly wasn't willing, and some of it, like Cushing, was actually dead.

R1 was once again resurrecting the nostalgia whilst floundering in its feeble efforts to add an extra edge for the manchild likely approaching a post-midlife crisis. In a franchise like Star Wars, you cannot slam the sense of childhood wonder alongside the rawness of war and expect to be a cake for all occasions for ever; hence why the franchise began, and should've died, as a simple morality fable from a movie buff with an optimistic religious streak, not taking itself too seriously. But the fandom roars in disagreement, and you with them! (I guess they never got over their fights with Trekkies over what 'serious' sci-fi is, and there are huge chips on shoulders abound. But again, that's no reason to make a film, let alone a Star Wars film. The money in their wallets is, though, hence R1, the endless merch, expanded universe etc.)

If you're the Parrot Doctor, I'm looking for a second opinion :)

It is no more, I tell you.

Last edited:
Eye in the sky 9/10. What a smashing movie, had me gripped especially the part where the girl who is selling the bread cane back after the spy took off. Felt sorry for the drone pilot who showed a lot of emotion ie fighting with the colonel about whether to fire or not. Honestly thought that boy that bought the bread so the girl could get away safely, really thought that she would make it.
Disgusting that the colonel Mirren made sure the guy who was doing the calculations for the collateral damage, would put in his report that it was a 45% chance of collateral damage. When in essence it wasn't anything close to that.

Superb movie.

Also watched Krampus....hahaha what a terrible movie 2/10 for me. Ridiculously stupid...wanted my hr or so back lol.

The original was more of a hidden fortress, and for the time, being a turn towards social sci-fi, deserving of a consideration. However, my view is quite straightforward: Lucas had an idea he struggled to implement with the technology at hand and his ability as a creator, time and time again. SW thus fell into a predictable trap of just one more try... at something, anything. LucasFilm should've moved on after the prequels, if not before. With the spin-offs it is becoming a bad parody of itself. Yuck!
It's often suggested that the Original has parralels with kurasawas hidden fortress, I've not seen it but find it hard to believe the influence of wwIi movies aren't equally strong. As for Lucas doing better to leave well alone I mostly agree but woul suggest before the prequels, though the phantom edit had potential. As for further interest in the Star wars universe I genuinely disagree that it is untenable.
As for the dig, did you cry at the end? If you're an adult or a reasonably mature teenager, I doubt it. The film is not moving in any shape or form as currently shot and delivered -- it was its whole point (the goofy storm troopers -- never looked menacing, silly rebel kit, the deaths, quasi-science and Flash Gordon level campiness do make the effort difficult, I grant you; pew, pew and all that is hard to build a gritty war drama out of), and it delivered a badly cut gallivant through a jump-cut galaxy of little substance. What was a few lines and scenes in the original is now a two-hour movie, which like the prequels, sticks out like a sore thumb (since once more the team chose to change tack and focus) -- hooray!
Thinking of great war movies such as Bridge over the river kwai, full metal jacket etc, did I cry, no, they weren't generally manipulative holiwood trash either.

Oh, please, spare me the sop about the great 'grey of war' attempt, and the new unexplored directions. Do. Or do not. There is not try.
very warsian of you, still if that is the position you take, boring conversation anywa
If the team had it in them, they'd have delivered; they had not. The source material clearly wasn't willing, and some of it, like Cushing, was actually dead.

As said in the R1 thread the Tarkin scenes are an abohmination.
R1 was once again resurrecting the nostalgia whilst floundering in its feeble efforts to add an extra edge for the manchild likely approaching a post-midlife crisis. In a franchise like Star Wars, you cannot slam the sense of childhood wonder alongside the rawness of war and expect to be a cake for all occasions for ever; hence why the franchise began, and should've died, as a simple morality fable from a movie buff with an optimistic religious streak, not taking itself too seriously. But the fandom roars in disagreement, and you with them! (I guess they never got over their fights with Trekkies over what 'serious' sci-fi is, and there are huge chips on shoulders abound. But again, that's no reason to make a film, let alone a Star Wars film. The money in their wallets is, though, hence R1, the endless merch, expanded universe etc.)

It is no more, I tell you.

Just after you posted someone give sky captain 7.5 go figure.

watching IP man atm, the first Asian cinema film I watched was tampopo about making really good noodles (worth a look) it can't all be kung fu, and on that Iron Monkey does it better.

Last edited:
Anyhow, I'm going to let Rogue go, but for what it's worth, I've jotted down a rapid-fire set of peeves on the poster (SPOILERS):

Just going through that setup brings up unpleasant memories; watching the movie again would just bring out more 'coulda; shoulda; woulda' and 'WTF WHY!'. It's a mess, obviously not a trilogy (which is how SWs traditionally got around its problems) and badly executed as a war story.

May the Force be with you.:o

Anyhow, I'm going to let Rogue go, but for what it's worth, I've jotted down a rapid-fire set of peeves on the poster (SPOILERS):

Just going through that setup brings up unpleasant memories; watching the movie again would just bring out more 'coulda; shoulda; woulda' and 'WTF WHY!'. It's a mess, obviously not a trilogy (which is how SWs traditionally got around its problems) and badly executed as a war story.

May the Force be with you.:o

Fair enough, despite the quote, interesting discussion. Not sure where silver gets the idea that the thread only allows for posting a pointless X/10 and then moving on, I thought it was a forum thread about opinions of films. Which are clearly divided 7.5/10 Sky Captain - Lordy :)

Fair enough, despite the quote, interesting discussion. Not sure where silver gets the idea that the thread only allows for posting a pointless X/10 and then moving on, I thought it was a forum thread about opinions of films. Which are clearly divided 7.5/10 Sky Captain - Lordy :)

Can't recall ever surviving Sky Captain till the end. (4/4 from Roger Ebert, apparently!) Am I missing something?

IP Man - 7/10
Or just for Jack - 3/10 hahaha.

Some visually appealing use of martial arts and a story arc that has potential and strives to stand above the average martial arts movie, but ultimately fails to.

IP Man - 7/10
Or just for Jack - 3/10 hahaha.

Some visually appealing use of martial arts and a story arc that has potential and strives to stand above the average martial arts movie, but ultimately fails to.

They keep cranking them out. You've got a few to catch up on. ;) I'm watching Blind Shaft, atm. Should be good, and no martial arts in sight.

got to say, the oft made suggestion that people are fans of star wars or or star trek is nonsense. there are 2 types of people in the world those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets and...

Back
Top Bottom