What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Why Him

It passes the 6 laughs test, looked at my watch once mid way through the movie. I guess it is better than most comedies these days. Some cringe moments but most of the jokes are your regular fart jokes.

6/10 (not worth getting on Bluray, perhaps worth catching when its on Netflix)

Nowt wrong with a good fart joke. I always giggled at the most famous movie of all time, Gone with the Wind.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
In the Heart of the Sea - Going into this film i wasnt expecting much. Surprisingly it intrigued me the more i watched. The start was a bit off with Chris Helmsworth's dodgy accent. However what i liked the most was the overall journey this story had from the adventure and tragedy that followed. it is what most modern films has forgotten these days which is an essentential ingredient to a good movie imo.

A very solid 7/10 .

Last edited:

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Predator with Arnie, still fantastic :D

I forgot how quickly the movie went along, I always though the time between the start and the assault on the camp was a lot longer.

Permabanned
Had yesterday off and decided to treat myself to much pizza and an Alien marathon.

Alien

Still one of my favourite movies of all time and absolutely the best of the 4 (not counting Prometheus). The pacing is perfect and it avoids the trap the later films fell into of clichéd, overwritten characters with no relatable qualities whatsoever. I'd advise everyone to check out the commentary as well, quite a nice insight into how Ridley and his crew managed some of the effects.

Aliens

Just a brilliant action movie through and through. Pacing is on par with the original, though I find the characters more irritating then likeable. The final confrontation is just perfect. Cameron doing what Cameron does best in giving the audience an incredibly satisfying pay off. My second favourite of the 4.

Alien 3

Honestly, my least favourite of them all (including Prometheus). Don't know what it is. It's certainly a capable movie that's nowhere near as disappointing as most fans would have you believe, but there's just something off about it. I find the characters just flat out annoying and the plot just meh. Does some interesting stuff with the Aliens but aside from that...

Alien 4

I have a rather perverse relationship with this movie. Like most fans, I hated it the first time I saw it, but over the years I've really grown to adore it. Yeah, it's unbearably crude and stupid with some of the worst pacing in the whole series. But it's just so... out there that I can't help but love it. Some would say it takes a wrong turn in trying to be a comedy but I don't think so. In fact, I don't even recognise it as a comedy. The comedic beats are so out of whack that I find the whole thing incredibly creepy as a result. in times of genuine delusion, I'd even say it's my second favourite in the series. Though I will absolutely concede every time that this is not an objective viewpoint and that it IS a POOR movie in almost every respect.

Soldato
The Exorcist (1973)

Yes I am watching this completely in the wrong time period. I love horror flicks, and the starting bits set in the middle east had me excited. I was hoping they'd uncover some artifacts relating to the demon that we'll see later. Sadly no. Film moved onto modern times and I was just bored of the acting by the family in question. I just couldn't get into it at all.

5/10.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The Exorcist (1973)

Yes I am watching this completely in the wrong time period. I love horror flicks, and the starting bits set in the middle east had me exited. I was hoping they'd uncover some artifacts relating to the demon that we'll see later. Sadly no. Film moved onto modern times and I was just bored of the acting by the family in question. I just couldn't get into it at all.

5/10.

Fair enough mate. It does seem to be becoming increasingly Marmite for a lot of new viewers. I love it personally. Was the first Horror flick I ever watched and it still unsettles me to this day. You have to give props to old Billy Friedkin though. Not only is it ridiculously well paced, the risks involved making a picture like that at the time earned him more brownie points than Ridley Scott will get in his lifetime.

Associate
Had yesterday off and decided to treat myself to much pizza and an Alien marathon.

Alien

Still one of my favourite movies of all time and absolutely the best of the 4 (not counting Prometheus). The pacing is perfect and it avoids the trap the later films fell into of clichéd, overwritten characters with no relatable qualities whatsoever. I'd advise everyone to check out the commentary as well, quite a nice insight into how Ridley and his crew managed some of the effects.

Aliens

Just a brilliant action movie through and through. Pacing is on par with the original, though I find the characters more irritating then likeable. The final confrontation is just perfect. Cameron doing what Cameron does best in giving the audience an incredibly satisfying pay off. My second favourite of the 4.

Alien 3

Honestly, my least favourite of them all (including Prometheus). Don't know what it is. It's certainly a capable movie that's nowhere near as disappointing as most fans would have you believe, but there's just something off about it. I find the characters just flat out annoying and the plot just meh. Does some interesting stuff with the Aliens but aside from that...

Alien 4

I have a rather perverse relationship with this movie. Like most fans, I hated it the first time I saw it, but over the years I've really grown to adore it. Yeah, it's unbearably crude and stupid with some of the worst pacing in the whole series. But it's just so... out there that I can't help but love it. Some would say it takes a wrong turn in trying to be a comedy but I don't think so. In fact, I don't even recognise it as a comedy. The comedic beats are so out of whack that I find the whole thing incredibly creepy as a result. in times of genuine delusion, I'd even say it's my second favourite in the series. Though I will absolutely concede every time that this is not an objective viewpoint and that it IS a POOR movie in almost every respect.

Nice breakdown/review there, agree with your opinions! Only thing I never get is the hate Prometheus receives. I like it as a stand alone movie. If you forget it's supposed to be attached to the Alien-verse, I really like it.

Permabanned
Nice breakdown/review there, agree with your opinions! Only thing I never get is the hate Prometheus receives. I like it as a stand alone movie. If you forget it's supposed to be attached to the Alien-verse, I really like it.

Cheers :)

To be honest I really need to see it again. I saw it at the flicks and my anticipation was so great that I don't think anything short of Mr Scott actually introducing it live could have saved it from my hype. However, I made a point of remembering that it was distinctly sloppy with some terrible pacing issues. I might pick it up on Blu Ray as I have next week off to watch and perhaps subsequently recover from it xD

I will say this though, it had what I still believe to be one of the best trailers I've ever seen.

Soldato
Fair enough mate. It does seem to be becoming increasingly Marmite for a lot of new viewers. I love it personally. Was the first Horror flick I ever watched and it still unsettles me to this day. You have to give props to old Billy Friedkin though. Not only is it ridiculously well paced, the risks involved making a picture like that at the time earned him more brownie points than Ridley Scott will get in his lifetime.

Yeah, I can see how it would have got massive acclaim back in the day. The spider/crawling down the stairs scene was the only one to really raise an eyebrow. Came out of no where!

Permabanned
Yeah, I can see how it would have got massive acclaim back in the day. The spider/crawling down the stairs scene was the only one to really raise an eyebrow. Came out of no where!

Ahhh see that's not in the original version and I refuse to except it as part of the movie. As soon as the possession starts, everything of importance stays in that room. The stair scene completely breaks up the tension for me.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Predator 2

Its surprising for how for such an average movie its surprisingly watchable, let’s face it if it was anything else but a Predator movie who would have watched it? It has all the 80's cop clichés, the action is poor and the setting is just terrible (nothing says "budget cut" like a sequel set in LA), yet still watchable.

Soldato
Sausage Party 4/10

Exactly what I expected it to be, crude one liners & virtually no plot but it had a few funny moments.
Grab a few beers & turn your brain off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom