What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Just watched Deadpool... surprisingly entertaining! I usually only watch superhero movies for the impressive CGI, which is all I really enjoyed about The Revenant the other day... surprisingly unmemorable and unconvincing, perhaps because I was expecting more from that and nothing whatsoever from Deadpool.

Soldato
The Take

Basically Idris Elba's love letter to the James Bond producers. There were a couple of good action sequences but apart from that pretty run of the mill. The Paris setting made it feel better than it was, but it came across very Braquo-lite. The American accents on the British actors was really bad too, both Idris Elba and Richard Madden (very generic performance from the King of the North).

Disposable entertainment.

4/10

Permabanned
Brazil

For years a good friend of mine has been nagging me to watch it and last night I finally decided to whack it on.

Simply put, one of the greatest movies I've ever had the pleasure of watching. From start to finish I was completely awe struck at the many intensely creative attributes the film has. The visual style, it's soundtrack, the many great performances and the plot, I cannot find a single floor amongst any of them. As soon as I turned it off, I was filled with that feeling only the best movies can induce in us. Wishing you could erase the last few hours from memory just so you can experience it all again for the first time.

Going to watch it again Friday night to pick up on anything I might have missed. Cannot possibly recommend it enough.

Soldato
The Accountant - 7/10.

Reboot Magnificent 7 - 4/10. A couple of good scenes, but found the whole thing a little boring and the main bad guy was underused.

Caporegime
Quite a few over the Xmas break

Storks

Run of the mill CGI film, only pidgeon-bro was vaguely entertaining.

5/10

Last Vegas

An OAP version of The Hangover? Pretty much, however I found it more entertaining. Freeman's Redbull induced babbling was great.

7.5/10

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

We had it on in the background, but then both my gf and I got in to it. A who's who of older British acting talent. Funny and touching.

7/10

Why Him

It had it's moments, but overall fell a bit flat for me. I think there are 3 key scenes that are very funny, but it's a fairly standard story we've seen done countless times. I want a Justine though, way better than Alexa :p

5.5/10

Caporegime
SWMBO loves the cheesy romantic drama films so we've watched a few recently.

Me before you - 8/10 - Emilia Clarke in this one looking fantastic as always. Story about how a carer falls in love with her patient. Good humour, good ending.

Flipped - 6.5/10 - Didn't enjoy this one as much as the other. Worth a watch when you don't want to particularly pay attention. Nice ending as well.

Permabanned
The Master

Probably worth mentioning I watched this too. The last of Paul Thomas Andersons movies I'd yet to have seen.

Whilst I thought it was beautifully shot with two of the most impressive central performances from Hoffman and Phoenix I've ever seen (shout to Amy Adams too), I felt it lacked any central theme. Not to say there isn't one, just that it's buried under too much... dare I say over written dialogue and scenery chewing. Felt more like an exercise in PTA's film making skills then any real story.

Of course, PTA is the master (pun intended?) of ambiguity and understatement. But the movie just felt empty to me. Still excellent and I would absolutely encourage all aspiring film nerds to check it out.

I just don't think he'll ever be able to top 'There Will Be Blood'. Everything in that movie works in favour of the narrative and is beautifully arty without any of the pretention of 'The Master' or 'Inherent Vice' (though I do adore the latter).

Back
Top Bottom