What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Schindler's list 5/10

First time watching it (I know) but I just didn't get in to it. I've been aware of it for many years and ultimately felt that the hype surrounding it left me expecting more.

There weren't any real "shock" moments of note when I compare it to the same scenes from Band of Brothers. Maybe it hasn't aged well, but I just found it overly boring and shallow.

It hasnt aged well at all - given its now the best part of 25 years old, seeing that kind of thing was (imo anyway) a lot more shocking back in 1993 - but now see worse/ more surprising on tv movies

I watched it recently and it wasnt anywhere near the same film I watched on original release - if you know what I mean :)

Soldato
Get Out 7.8/10

Really really good. Not great but really good. Very well put together chiller. Good setup and atmosphere. Good performances all round. Minor comedy aspects. Can't talk a lot about the plot as dont want to give it away. A tiny bit preposterous but makes you think :D

Thanks, as you said was really good, reminscent of Hammer House of Horror type of production
I would rank it just in front of It follows , other gripping chiller I saw in last 6 months

Soldato
Patriot Day - 10/10

I'm totally stunned!! The tension watching this was unreal as I remember the news report and footage very well. They did an incredible job with this I think and it was nothing short of emotional. You really buy into the devastation and pain that Boston went through during this very tragic time. Seeing how everyone came together just goes to show that no matter peoples differences, humanity always comes first in times of hardship.

Caporegime
Get Out. Written by Jordan Peele. Produced by Jordan Peele. Directed by Jordan Peele. Stars Daniel Kaluuya as Jordan Peele.

What are we going to do about the blacks? Nobody's quite sure, but Jordan Peele—himself a former black man—presents an intriguing solution in this controversial thriller about a young black man struggling to find his place in a white transracial community.

I rate Get Out at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a mildly discomforting trans-7/10 on IMDB.

Last edited:
Soldato
They Live 7/10

I've never seen it before, but had always heard about it. Decided to watch it and was pleasantly surprised at how much of a fun film it was. Very much in the same vein of Big Trouble In Little China, which is by the same director, John Carpenter.

Associate
Tickled

A pretty good documentary revealing the dark truth behind competitive endurance tickling. Was probably along the lines of a Louis Theroux TV programme in terms of quality so maybe a cautious recommendation?

Soldato
Thought this was excellent too, very well acted by all concerned. Do like Costner.

Yeah, i loved the bit where Katherine Johnson gets angry because she has to walk half a mile just to go to the toilet, the next scene is Costner smashing down the toilet sign, "here at Nasa, were all the same colour" he says as he's walking away.

Brought tears to my eyes that bit, awesome.

Quality soundtrack

Soldato
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2: Another film in the same vein as the first, but somehow lacking some of the charm. They pile on huge cinematic effects on top of every scene, to the extent it's a little numbing. There's the usual humour, some nice pathos, one scene that's a little gruesome and goes on a little long. I think the biggest problem is that the baddy (though telegraphed well in advance) isn't that great. He's someone we want to like in the beginning so when he reveals his evil agenda, he's still a bit too charming. I think they could have done a bit more character development, because there's only a little, heavy handed stuff, and maybe it suffers because of the film being so action-scene heavy.

It's good fun, though it is another summer popcorn movie, and should be viewed as such. BTW, stay all the way to the end, there are about three or four little scenes throughout the credits.

Associate
San Andreas

Didn't think it was that bad, think some of the reviews are pretty harsh, CGI was good as you'd expect for that style of film, I'd give it a solid 6.5/10

Back
Top Bottom