What film did you watch last night?

Inside Out 2

Inside Out was a film which took a clear idea, thought it through, and thoroughly delivered on that idea. Inside Out 2 is the sequel to that movie.

A decent watch, but feels like a movie that only exists because the first did well rather than because it has new ideas and a new story to tell.

7/10

Badlands (1973)

I read/heard great things about this. Found it very disappointing. Perhaps it was interesting at the time? I saw that it was directed by the same chap, Terrence Malick, who directed The Thin Red Line. I didn’t like that either, and found it very boring. So I guess this is a director I’ll avoid in future!

Empire Strikes Back - just back from the Cinema and it was superb. Still holds up today and puts a lot of the modern SW movies to shame. It reminded me why this out of the 3 OG movies is the most popular. I can't wait for RotJ next week to complete the trilogy. 9/10.

Surprisingly it was a pretty empty showing. Only 5 people in the entire screen. 3 of us in our group plus a couple.

Last edited:
The Instigators (2024)

Another poor effort from Apple, billed as a comedy heist movie. Well I watched the entire film and, for me, there was no comedy. There were lame attempts at rising a smile, but even those failed.

A completely wasted cast. So many good actors seemingly just taking a paycheck.

On the plus side, there was some really good camera work during some of the chase sequences.

That's two Apple films on the spin that have had a decent premise, a great cast, proven directors, but still failed to deliver. Even more disappointing is talk of sequels for both this and Wolfs.

Too many steaming services, all with a desperate need for content, perpetuating a Hollywood churn of mediocre filler and dross.

4/10

Confess, Fletch (2022) - 8/10

Sophisticated modern noir with quirky and witty humour.

It’s an unoriginal but fun mystery with plenty of red herrings, although the story is secondary to the charismatic Fletch.

Great performance from Hamm who looks and acts the part perfectly and the supporting cast were also good.

The ending was a bit cliché, but the comedy left me wanting for more.

Apple paid to make this.
Actually worse - they bought it after seeing it :p Apple clearly hasn't got the right people to pick films to make or release. Their episodic content is the best out there (Slow Horses, Black Bird, Bad Sisters et al) but they keep missing with movies. Shame.

We watched Margin Call last night. 5/10. One of those that has been on my list since forever. Great tension and scene-building, but really not a lot happened. No chaos shown outside of their office building, I couldn't understand why there wasn't any context given for what was going on in those first few days of the financial crisis :confused:

Last edited:
Megalopolis.. walked out half way through.. its like chatgpt wrote and directed a movie and blackmailed half of Hollywood to be in it..

Yeah i kinda got that feeling and i will watch just about anything. It didnt look too appealing at all.

Back
Top Bottom