What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
That Sugar Film

Was looking for something on Prime for the background, but it was actually an ok docu-film (ignoring that they used David Wolfe as a soundbite guy a few times, lol) about the evils of sugar in our diets.

Song at the end was pretty funny and catchy.

6/10

Caporegime
The Big Short. I was reasonably familiar with the subject matter going in, but it was interesting nonetheless. It was a bit too clever for its own good at times, but I can understand why they'd go that way when trying to make a mainstream film out of this sort of material.

Soldato
Life

It's no Interstellar that's for sure 6/10 feeling generous

Some complete idiotic decisions by crew in this...felt quite incoherent story. Even ending didn't save it. Possibly first film I've seen of J Jake G where he isn't very good.

Associate
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Great sequel to the first film, executed really well. CGI is excellent, the emotion shown through the apes is very good, I actually cared for the Ape characters because of it and numerous times throughout the film I had to stop and realise that these Apes arent real haha.

I have heard War for the Planet of the Apes is another leap forward with the CGI which is impressive and I will be going to watch that very soon I think.

9/10

Permabanned
Interstellar

Watched in prerparation for Dunkirk this evening. Seen it a few times before now.

It suffers from the traditional Nolan problem of characters only speaking in the language of pure exposition, condensed philosophical sound bites and explosive emotional outbursts (because Nolan has the emotional understanding of a damp pullover) , but it's SO pretty too look at and exhibits Nolan's signature trait for turning the popcorn blockbuster into a big think piecey movie.

Ending still lets the whole thing down though. An interesting idea that's completely convoluted and undeniably stupidly communicated.

Soldato
^

Matthew 'Mumble' McConaughey is what ruined Interstellar for me, learn to enunciate properly man!

I saw it in an Imax and still could hardly make out what he was saying

Permabanned
^

Matthew 'Mumble' McConaughey is what ruined Interstellar for me, learn to enunciate properly man!

I saw it in an Imax and still could hardly make out what he was saying

I think the sound editing in general was excruciatingly poor at times. I think that was half of the problem.

Loved his performance, but the Texan drawl was certainly a little too heavy at times xD

Associate
The Big Short. I was reasonably familiar with the subject matter going in, but it was interesting nonetheless. It was a bit too clever for its own good at times, but I can understand why they'd go that way when trying to make a mainstream film out of this sort of material.

Likewise. Good idea of what it was about but was left confused in places. I think a repeat viewing would be in order.

Soldato
The Big Short. It was a bit too clever for its own good at times, but I can understand why they'd go that way when trying to make a mainstream film out of this sort of material.

If you've ever read the book....sheesh... the film makes the subject much more palatable. I can't quite believe it was a best seller. I love the film though.

Last edited:
Associate
Dunkirk (2017) - 10/10

A gripping and powerful depiction of survival and overcoming adversity on a grand scale when everything is at its worst.

Realistic and authentic action scenes with haunting images that tell more than lengthy dialogue ever could.

The musical score is used to great effect, building up the suspense and tension during the calm and the storm.

Great acting and a good balance of different perspectives, showing the heroism of those involved right up to the film’s emotional ending.

Associate
Dark City - good movie. Don't know if it influenced The Matrix at all, but there is definitely a similar vibe to it.

Would give it a 7.5/10 as I thought the ending was a bit ropey - seemed a bit rushed.

Caporegime
Dark City - good movie. Don't know if it influenced The Matrix at all, but there is definitely a similar vibe to it.

Would give it a 7.5/10 as I thought the ending was a bit ropey - seemed a bit rushed.
They were made at the same time. They even used some of the same sets. It's coincidence that they have similar themes. Jennifer Connolly singing Sway, though... my oh my.

For the record, going back to The Big Short, I don't mean too clever as in too complicated, I mean too clever with the "here's Margot Robbie in a bubble bath" business. Or that chef, or Selena Gomez or whoever. It's smug.

Anyway. Tonight we watched Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. Eva Green and Samuel L Jackson overact, probably because that's how Tim Burton directs. The blonde girl is gorgeous and looks good after a swim. The film is pretty to look at. Asa Butterfield is staggeringly dull. The story is all over the shop. Meh/10.

Back
Top Bottom