What film did you watch last night?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Gifted
I don't know why ninjas cut an onion or two, how rude? The movie was superb drama. It toys with the reality of giftedness in kids and the necessary balanceof letting them be kids vs putting them into monitored education and them becoming the robots of society without compassion and other normal human traits that makes people unique individuals.

I thought Chris Evans played the uncle role amazingly well, and Mckenna Grace who plays the 7yr old niece was the real highlight of the movie. Such a demanding role yet she was able to portray the character in every scene with genuine perfection. And I thought the young actors in Stranger Things were great!

Jenny Slate who plays the teach was also a really likeable character, and the obviously excellent Octavia Spencer provides her signature moral and guiding support role, too.

It got high 7s on IMDB, but as many non critics have said, it's worth much more
than that for being honest and true. Memorable scenes include the courtroom battle which featured strong and sharp philosophy rather than verbal aggression, as well as the sunset scene where Mary and Frank are chatting. Such a cinematic scene and some brilliant script writing.

Soldato
I haven't yet no! Got a few horrors I need to catch up on and that's been on the list for a while. Might bump it up the list for tonight...

I also saw Get Out recently and really enjoyed it. It wasn't scary, or "jumpy" but it definitely had suspense and mystery, and didn't need cheap scares to have you on the edge of your seat. Actually reminded me a fair bit of Shutter Island and how I felt watching that.

Will also check out Don't Breath on the recommendations here.

Soldato
Alien Covenant.
In the top 10 for one of the worst of the year so far. They make a hammer nail attempt at trying to fix the first film in the most absurd way. So its not even a sequel except for one character.
Though it does follow Prometheus in some of the most unlikable characters ever, who, make some of the most brain dead decisions you could never imagine.

Commissario
I think people are clouded as it was a good piece of cinema, rather than the brilliant amazing film they think they watched.
Various ridiculous elements were in place.
Super powered kids, being chased by armed mercs, mercs decided to try to capture the kids and grab them to bring them back, yet not a tazer in sight.
It takes a death before the kids remember they have superpowers.
Then they finally start to use them.

What is so safe about crossing through a forest into Canada?
Mercs with guns might not be looking at their maps. They might even consider shooting their guns.
There are issues, the overall idea and arc within the plot is a good one.
The concept is good, Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman are good, the kid ain't bad, everyone else is a bit meh.

Re the border, the implication is that Canada has a sanctuary for mutants* and some form of effective border protection/monitoring, hence the permission needed to get through at a certain time.
This ties in right back to the early x-men comics and films as Canada has it's own Mutant special forces, and the mercs following the kids would have both known that they were not allowed to operate in Canada and that there may well have been some form of border protection team in place who would take action as soon as the kids crossed the line and were inside their area of operation.

*If unofficial/operating as a deniable operation.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Rum Diary - 7/10

I enjoyed this despite reading some rubbish reviews for it. Thought it had a nice feel to it, was really funny at points (the car scenes) and Amber Heard is rather nice to look at.

The Mechanic - 4/10.

Jason Statham films are a guilty pleasure of mine, but this was just rubbish. Really didn't like Ben Foster's character and maybe that's the point, but i'm not a massive fan of his anyway.

Associate
Dunkirk.
It was ok. Nothing really wrong with it, but once the credits rolled, I knew I'd probably never watch it again.
6.5/10 (for me).

Soldato
The Big Short - as has been said earlier the film is not as clever as it thinks it is (breaking fourth wall etc.) but was an informal and informative approach to the recession and the causes with some laughs and incredulous moments too. 4/5

Soldato
Re the border, the implication is that Canada has a sanctuary for mutants* and some form of effective border protection/monitoring, hence the permission needed to get through at a certain time.
This ties in right back to the early x-men comics and films as Canada has it's own Mutant special forces, and the mercs following the kids would have both known that they were not allowed to operate in Canada and that there may well have been some form of border protection team in place who would take action as soon as the kids crossed the line and were inside their area of operation.

*If unofficial/operating as a deniable operation.
I didn't bother bringing up the likes of Alpha Flight (great comics and characters BTW).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Flight

I'm not sure if you're focusing on the minute detail of the finale, that you got the point of any of the film!

Soldato
Get Out

6.5/10 First half hour really slow, milking the inter racial relationship thing. Perked up after that though I saw the main twist coming as soon as they arrived at the parents' house.

Kind of played out as Wicker Man meets Meet The Parents meets Frankenstein. Was expecting a somewhat darker ending though
given that the conspiracy seemed to be quite wide, just got in the car with his mate and drove off.

Associate
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Some good laughs in this Guy Ritchie fantasy; I was thinking Carl Urban could do his part in this but they cant get another Dredd movie the whole time though!

Soldato
Mr. Brooks

Missed this when it came out a few years back for some reason. Saw it today and was pleasantly surprised. Kevin Costner plays a schizophrenic killer in this interesting thriller. Well worth a watch.

Associate
Mystic River

Been meaning to watch this for a while now and finally got around to catching it on Amazon Video last night.

Brilliant film with some great acting! Well deserved Oscars by both Penn & Robbins.

Eastwood is a fine director.

9/10

Back
Top Bottom