What film did you watch last night?

Permabanned
Apocalypse Now

To my great shame, this was the first time I'd re-watched it since my very late teens. Didn't quite understand the gravitas of the flick back then... What can you say about it that hasn't already been said a thousand times previously? Easily my favourite Coppola flick.

On The Waterfront

Eughhhh. There will never be an actor in history quite like Brando. Unquestionably the finest that's ever lived and this movie demonstrates that his talent was there from the start.

Soldato
Room (2015)

I just can't bring myself to criticise this film easily. Two phenomenal performances. An excellent, intriguing, upsetting, emotional, thrilling first half followed by a sombre delicate yet emotional in so many different ways second half. One half is a struggle for life and death, the other is a struggle to to live.

The pacing was EXCELLENT. Most films would drag out the first half and leave with a happy ending but this film takes it to another level with a thorough exploration of both characters.

Constantly tugging at the heart strings and evoking emotion. I imagine some will watch this and cry, some will be scared and some will watch it and be boiling hot red with anger.

For the two hours, its a masterclass in story telling. I'm prepared to ignore the very few annoyances
for this beautiful story to be told.

Is it perfect?... Sure I could give it 4 and a half stars for the few faults it has but the truth is, this film accomplishes so much in so little time.

5 stars and one of the most underrated films which deserves so much more exposure.

5/5 stars
9.5/10

Permabanned
Gotta agree with you Aoaaron. I'm one of those saps that starts blubbing as soon as the movie fades up xD

One of my favourite movies of all time for the reasons you stated.

Soldato
King Arthur Legend of the Sword.

No wonder it was an utter flop in the cinema.
Guy trying to use cokney slang and Snatch editing for a portrayal of King Arthur....dead god its a train wreck, with some really bad CGi as well.

Soldato
Just got back from Dunkirk. Not sure what I think tbh. I was on the edge of my seat, but at the same time I did find it a bit cold,something Nolan has been accused of and I've never agreed with before now.

Certainly an amazing spectacle.

Overall my thoughts are positive

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
47 Metres - was pretty tense movie and quite gripping. It was far from perfect but enjoyed it. Some of the shots was good and cgi wasnt half bad. 6.5/10.

Soldato
The Green Mile

One of those films that never fails to reduce me to a blubbering wreck. Brilliant film that continues to stand the test of time.

9/10

Soldato
Okja - 6.5 / 10

Very quirky film about a genetically modified super pig bred by the evil corporation but reared and befriended by a young Korean girl. A great mix of live action and CGI, the Hollywood ensemble cast and crew use this film as a metaphor about our view of GMO and treatment of animals. Definitely a film for hippy vegan activists!

Split - 8 / 10

Very powerful performance by James Mcavoy as someone with dissociation identity disorder and 23 distinct identities who kidnaps 3 teenage girls

Soldato
Extortion

Decent thriller about when a Caribbean family vacation takes a disastrous turn, a father finds himself at the mercy of a cold-blooded fisherman, and a desperate race against the clock to save his wife and son. IMDB gives it a 6.2/10. I'd say it's more like 7.2/10.

Back
Top Bottom