What film did you watch last night?

A bit by the by, When I use a X/10 rating I've always thought of it as non linear/logarithmic scale.
others may not think this way but I like to imagine movies in the high 8s and 9s having genuine long term potential to be valued artistically.

At no point have I prevented anyone grading anyway they like, if anything said challenges your world view, I feel bad for you son, I got 9.9 problems but the happening aint one :)

I doubt anyone is overly concerned about conflicting views (if they were, a thread about rating films you have seen is probably a bad place to hang out!!)
I do find it interesting to see how others rate things though :)
For me it is very much personal (primarily because if a movie piques my interest I rarely spend anytime researching what others have thought - for example, until I looked it up on Google I had no idea CTHD was THAT popular, I knew more liked it than not but that is about it). For me a film getting 9/10 is something I think is so good that it can b watched many times over the years and still be seen as great - but again that is still based purely on my enjoyment (Princess Bride to me is one of those films, so yes, PB gets a 9 while CTHD got a 2!)
At the end of the day, if I don't enjoy a film, I won't rate it well - I won't say 'good script, well acted, but bored me to death, 7.5/10' doesn't matter how good parts were (individual parts may earn extra points of course) but ultimately the entertainment factor is key.

I find it easier to rate this way because I am a casual film watcher and therefore the finer nuances are lost on me. I also find it is more helpful to those I talk to - they know the kind of films I like (brainless crap for the most part) and as a result those who have similar taste trust my rating to see a film, those who have opposite tastes know it is likely a film they want to stay away from. If I start rating them based on factors other than my enjoyment, it may confuse them - this film was perfectly made, I rate it 2/10. This film was awful in every way, 8/10. My little brain can't handle these complexities :)

THis is why I don't do ratings anymore. People are giving out these numbers as a reference how much they enjoyed them, not giving much merit in many things such as acting, story, script, music, etc.

Also, if you seen a movie that it was so bad it is 0/10, later on you seen something worse, what is it now? -1/10? Since if you give it 0/10 then it's equal, not worse.

Cant say i have enjoyed many films with poor acting, story , script and music.

Most people rate on how much they enjoyed the film and the above list forms part of that.

I went to see it on release in 4DX

Devoid of any humanity, filler middle section and devoid of any heart.

Missed the mark completely from the first imo.

So typical Marvel fare when it comes to the second film then. :p

Thor 2, Ironman 2, Avengers 2 and GotG 2, all worse than their predecessors. Only one that has so far bucked the trend that I'm aware of, is Winter Soldier.

So typical Marvel fare when it comes to the second film then. :p

Thor 2, Ironman 2, Avengers 2 and GotG 2, all worse than their predecessors. Only one that has so far bucked the trend that I'm aware of, is Winter Soldier.

Garfield better than Maguire though? And if so even though they're both a bit duff, The Amazing Spiderman 2 was slightly better for me. (Also not a sequel but The Incredible Hulk better than Hulk...perhaps it's the adjective that makes them better).

I don't see the problem here, rate a film based on your view of it, if more people like it than don't then a favourable score will win out, if it's pure rubbish to most it will get a bad score

Garfield better than Maguire though? And if so even though they're both a bit duff, The Amazing Spiderman 2 was slightly better for me. (Also not a sequel but The Incredible Hulk better than Hulk...perhaps it's the adjective that makes them better).

Prior to Homecoming, the Spiderman films and castings were concoctions and decisions made by Sony Pictures. Marvel had no control over how good or bad they were.

I was referring to films Marvel had direct control over, first film and it's sequel. The same applies to Hulk as it does Spiderman, as The Hulk was not made by Marvel Studios.

Sequels to Homecoming and The Incredible Hulk (although unlikely in the Hulk's case), can be judged on whether they continue the trend of being worse than the first film.

I doubt anyone is overly concerned about conflicting views (if they were, a thread about rating films you have seen is probably a bad place to hang out!!)
I do find it interesting to see how others rate things though :)
For me it is very much personal (primarily because if a movie piques my interest I rarely spend anytime researching what others have thought - for example, until I looked it up on Google I had no idea CTHD was THAT popular, I knew more liked it than not but that is about it). For me a film getting 9/10 is something I think is so good that it can b watched many times over the years and still be seen as great - but again that is still based purely on my enjoyment (Princess Bride to me is one of those films, so yes, PB gets a 9 while CTHD got a 2!)
At the end of the day, if I don't enjoy a film, I won't rate it well - I won't say 'good script, well acted, but bored me to death, 7.5/10' doesn't matter how good parts were (individual parts may earn extra points of course) but ultimately the entertainment factor is key.

I find it easier to rate this way because I am a casual film watcher and therefore the finer nuances are lost on me. I also find it is more helpful to those I talk to - they know the kind of films I like (brainless crap for the most part) and as a result those who have similar taste trust my rating to see a film, those who have opposite tastes know it is likely a film they want to stay away from. If I start rating them based on factors other than my enjoyment, it may confuse them - this film was perfectly made, I rate it 2/10. This film was awful in every way, 8/10. My little brain can't handle these complexities :)

Princess Bride is a cracking film high 8s for me and I get the "it's my personal view" as is mine when I rate something. My point Is a 40+ year old film being still highly regarded probably has some merit worth considering. I rarely know much about masses of people's views of a movie as it comes out (beyond the missus) but I can comprehend other viewpoints, I didn't get on with "There will be blood" in the way that I did "Magnolia", I wouldn't give it a 5/10 just because I found every character grim and that a story about the production of oil in the west boring, great acting, sound track, direction and occasionally genius script are undeniable, below a 7 would seem petulant.

I just don't see film or art as produced in a vacuum, some are great repeat viewings like airplane, life of brian or Aliens and the the Thing others by their nature are a bit less repeatable.
D.O.A The usual suspects and fight club spring to mind.

When I went to watch Crouching Tiger I went with a mate from Uni and the missus, my mate was born in Hong Kong he said this crazy jumping/dancing happens all the time in our fantasy movies. Personally we loved it.

Shin Godzilla (The latest Japanese one) - 3/10

I'm literally not joking for comedic effect when I tell you that 80% of this movie is watching very polite Japanese politicians sitting around in board rooms discussing how to protect the people and fight for Japan.

Still, the one and only action scene when Godzilla looses his **** and lets rip is pretty cool, even if they have turned him into some multi-lazer beam spewing battleship :)

Black Water (2007) - 7/10.

Went back in the collection a bit for this Aussie film about a family trying to survive in the outback after a croc overturns the small boat they were travelling in. Very low budget but manages some tense moments and
most definitely not everyone gets to go home

The only thing that destroyed the illusion a bit was reading afterwards most of the primary filming was done on a park lake about 15 miles from Sydney..!

Shin Godzilla (The latest Japanese one) - 3/10

I'm literally not joking for comedic effect when I tell you that 80% of this movie is watching very polite Japanese politicians sitting around in board rooms discussing how to protect the people and fight for Japan.

Still, the one and only action scene when Godzilla looses his **** and lets rip is pretty cool, even if they have turned him into some multi-lazer beam spewing battleship :)

I was going to post very similar but I actually like it because that's exactly how I imagine they were during the recent crisis. I also quite like hard core sub-titled Japanese films :) but that first appearance of Godzilla was plain creepy.

So bureaucracy loving Japanese sub-title fans this is the film for you!

7/10 for me and looking forward to what comes next.

Back
Top Bottom