What film did you watch last night?

The early festival feedback for La La Land were amazing (if you go search reviews on YouTube) but it somehow this weird backlash appeared. I'm keeping my expectation low.

I think La La Land was over exposed because Hollywood loves patting itself on the back and it was very much an ode to Hollywood. When everyone else saw it, it didn't live up to the initial hype for a lot of people. For example, it's exactly the sort of film my wife should love, but she hasn't watched it "because all the hype has kind of put me off".

I don't think the new Blade Runner film will suffer from the same level of Hollywood-luvvie over exposure and over hype, because it's not that type of film.

As it is, everyone seems amazed that the film could be good, and a sequel no less. It's actually a bit sad that we're all so happy and amazed that Hollywood hasn't screwed it up, because expectations are that the studio would get it wrong, like they do so often.

I think La La Land was over exposed because Hollywood loves patting itself on the back and it was very much an ode to Hollywood. When everyone else saw it, it didn't live up to the initial hype for a lot of people. For example, it's exactly the sort of film my wife should love, but she hasn't watched it "because all the hype has kind of put me off".

I don't think the new Blade Runner film will suffer from the same level of Hollywood-luvvie over exposure and over hype, because it's not that type of film.

As it is, everyone seems amazed that the film could be good, and a sequel no less. It's actually a bit sad that we're all so happy and amazed that Hollywood hasn't screwed it up, because expectations are that the studio would get it wrong, like they do so often.

May be perhaps instead of the expectations of whether 2049 will live up to the original, it is the expectation that 2049 should have been utter turd as it normally is and they are surprised that it isn't…it is merely good and that somehow means it is amazing due to the initial low expectation.

btw. I absolutely love La La Land and I don't like musicals or seen much old Hollywood movies of the era this La La Land is celebrating.

I find a lot to agree with having not seen lala, there is little triumph around blade runner, it has commonality with gilliams brazil, on that Gilliam deserves more recognition his history with sci fi/fantasy is extraordinary especially 12 monkeys, if only he'd directed the early potter movies as jkrowling wanted....

The Man Who Knew Infinity. 8/10

Solid watch. There were a few bits of screen time which I thought were either unecessary and could have been cut or could have been shot better to show a better transition to what they were trying to get to but otherwise it was solid.

Dev Patel gives another stunning performance. Really enjoy seeing him on screen given the last thing I watched with him was Lion.

Just watch Singin' in the Rain instead. It's far superior.

Baby Driver 6/10

Not as clever as it thinks it is.

I liked the bullets being fired in time with the music a lot. I didn't like so much Kevin Spacey's character switching from "work for me or I'll kill you" to "it's OK, you ruined my caper so I'll sacrifice my life to save you and your Mrs" Just didn't quite work for me.

WHAT! I thought it was brilliant. What unrealistic behaviour do you mean?

It was just full of horror cliches.
- Why house so many kids when they knew there was demonic spirit in the house.
- The little girl goes into the doll room, finds out its hunted. Why go in there again and not tell everyone what happened.
- The kids behaviour to ghost is too calm. They should screaming and running for help.
- Nun sees the owner dead, with all his blood drained. I would run for the hills. Her reaction, oh well kids lets all go to bed.
and the list goes on

I'll be watching Alien Covenant tomorrow night. I've read all of the bad press it gets and tbh, I'm not that bothered.... It's the premise that appeals. They could remake the same film with small variations 20 times(well they have really), and I'd still enjoy them I think. They haven't been great recently, but I still enjoy them.

Nah. This was a really bad film.

A Dog's Purpose
6/10

Other than the apparently now debunked reports of animal cruelty on set, it was generally okay. Follows the story of a dog over a period of about 45 years who lives, dies and is then reincarnated (about 5 times in total). Most of the running time is spent on his second life as the young boy who adopts him grows up. Events then move forward via a couple of shorter stories to the rather dewy eyed conclusion.

I would actually like to have seen something at the end, even just an epilogue as to what happened to the characters in the other short stories, after the dog moved on rather than just the main character. Felt a bit incomplete TBH.

Baby Driver 6/10

Not as clever as it thinks it is.

I liked the bullets being fired in time with the music a lot. I didn't like so much Kevin Spacey's character switching from "work for me or I'll kill you" to "it's OK, you ruined my caper so I'll sacrifice my life to save you and your Mrs" Just didn't quite work for me.

Yeah, that kinda threw me and was the one part I really wasn't a fan of. Actually, that and why the hell Jamie Foxx's char would ever have been involved in any caper

Back
Top Bottom