What film did you watch last night?

Starship Troopers 20 year anniversary edition on 4k UHD Blu-ray.

I saw it at the cinema as a 15 year old and it was one of the first DVDs I bought but I hadn't seen it for about 17 years or something.

Most of the effects hold up brilliantly, particularly the CG bugs.

Not as good as Paul Verhovens 'Robocop' but still very satirical about American military aggression.

Transformers: The Last Knight - 2/10 - Awful, just a terrible mess of a film with a truly dire script, direction, acting and a ludicrous amount of CGI, which is mainly well done (adding the 2 points), buts there's just far too much of it.

I forgot to post the other day so here are a few.

Blade Runner 2049 - 8/10 (possibly 9/10, need to watch again)
One of the best films I've seen in a while, unlike most sequels this was probably as good as the original, keeping the same visual and stylistic feel to it and continuing the story in a way that made sense.
It was good enough I ordered the steelbook the moment I got back home, and I'm sort of wishing my TV was larger* for the blu-ray release :)

I've also been watching some of the classic Universal Monster films from the 30's (the blu-ray set was only a tenner!).

Dracula (1931) 7/10
It's hard to believe this is nearing 90 years old, it's a little wooden in places compared to modern versions but I've rated it high in part taking into account the sheer limitations of the time, it still looks very good even today (some of the sets whilst a little bare compared to today are excellent), whilst the performances show where so many of the modern ones have their roots.
I may try and watch the alternate version that I think is on the same disc (the Italian version that was filmed at the same time on the same sets over night).

Frankenstein's Monster (19310 7/10
Another classic that rates high partly because of how good it is despite the limits of the time.
Karloff as the Monster is excellent and it's odd watching it knowing what carried into later versions of the film, but seeing what didn't (things like the monster stumbling because he was meant to unable to see at the time, the stumbling/arms out carried to the later films but not the reason).

The Mummy (1932 7/10
Again another classic that shows the roots of so many of it's successors, with Karloff as the best Mummy I think I've seen, and so much detail in his make up (a level that seems to go beyond many of the later ones).
I thought it was interesting that Zita Johan's "helen"/"ankh es en amon" seemed to be more capable at the end than the same same sort of character in most of the later films (that I can remember).

*I thought spending £700 on a TV was being extravagant, but it's lasted about 10 years so it may be time to look at a replacement soon.

Spiderman Homecoming - 8/10. Great movie and some great effects. Keaton was very good as Vultureman although Happy was a bit of a dick to the kid and got annoying towards the end.

I still haven't seen the original I am going to watch the Final Cut tonight though after all the hype around here regarding the second one. Then I'll watch the new one.

Mea Culpa - French action thriller.

With euro films there is a gritty realism you never see in Hollywood. For example, the baddies fire a gun in a closed environment, everyone goes deaf. You never see this in a US film.

8/10.

Back
Top Bottom