What film did you watch last night?

It was very nicely done, I think GITS had something similar as well.

It's fun watching something like the new Blade Runner and thinking "I've seen something like that before", then realising it was a scene done as a tribute to the original film in another film entirely (or anime).
I did laugh at some of the adverts in 2049, there's one for Atari in there!

Trainspotting 2
8/10
I saw it in the cinema and loved it there too. But I do find it a little hard to watch as it reminds me of the last 20 years and opportunity lost.

The White Ribbon - 6/10.

Just found it all a bit boring. I could see what it was going for, but just not my cup of tea. Cinematography was excellent though :)

Spiderman Homecoming

Loved it. Even the missus liked it, which is an achievement for marvel films (only other being deadpool). Funny in the right places, great action, well shot, characters worked well. Worked as a standalone and mcu tie in.

9/10 for me

I watched "A nightmare on Elm Street" last night, I'd give it a 6/10.
It failed in it's most basic premise, namely to scare me, however it was very well shot, with great effects and sound cues, alongside some ok acting and story.

Bones Brigade - 7/10 - A documentary based on the biggest, most successful 80's Skateboard team ever. It's a really well storyboarded documentary with plenty of heart, rare footage and interviews with some of the greatest names in skateboarding over the past 30 years and, as a massive fan, it's great to see some of the original footage showing the first time certain tricks were landed, or seeing the evolution of the sport etc but for me the interviews are the best part. Just hearing people like Tony Hawk, Lance Mountain or Rodney Mullins talk about how skating has impacted their life, effected relationships, forged lifelong bonds that have withstood immense pressure was a joy.

The Wizard of Lies.

Controversial actor/producer/director Robert De Niro stars as Bernard L. Madoff in this straight-to-TV drama by popular screenwriter Sam Baum.

Beginning in the 1970s, the Madoff crime family rose to power by acquiring huge wealth via their family business: the Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities, LLC. Ostensibly a well respected investment firm, it was in fact the world's largest Ponzi scheme.

The Madoffs took >$64 billion from gullible clients, promising to invest it wisely, and offering strong returns.

Some of this money was spent buying politicians and paying off officials to ensure that America's largely unregulated stock market was allowed to run without government interference. Most of it was spent on the Madoffs' billionaire lifestyle.

The Madoffs ran their scam successfully for several decades, despite multiple investigations by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

As the crime family infiltrated industry bodies such as the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, their access to market controls grew exponentially, until there was virtually nothing to stop them exploiting Wall Street in every possible way.

As early as 1999, financial analyst Harry Markopolos informed the SEC of the Madoffs' criminal activities, having concluded that the returns they promised clients were impossible to achieve. Authorities ignored him, and continued to do so for the next 10 years.

He later wrote an 'I-told-you-so' book, entitled No One Would Listen.

Similarly, none of the major Wall Street firms traded with or invested in the Madoff corporation, because they rightly suspected that it was a criminal enterprise.

When Bernard was finally caught by the FBI in 2008 he immediately pleaded guilty, and denied any involvement by the rest of the Madoff cartel. Faced with a lengthy and expensive battle to prove the culpability of other family members, federal investigators accepted his plea, and Bernard took the fall for everyone.

Bernard settled comfortably into prison life, and boasted of his preferential treatment, and respect among the inmates:

In his letter to his daughter-in-law, Madoff said that he was being treated in prison like a "Mafia don".

They call me either Uncle Bernie or Mr. Madoff. I can't walk anywhere without someone shouting their greetings and encouragement, to keep my spirit up. It's really quite sweet, how concerned everyone is about my well being, including the staff […] It's much safer here than walking the streets of New York.

(Source).

For the rest of the crime family, life continued as usual. They retained their wealth, their lifestyle, and most of their assets.

Bernard's sons, Mark and Andrew, were separately investigated for tax fraud, but they cheated justice by dying before authorities could settle the case (Mark by suicide, Andrew from mantle cell lymphoma).

Mark had allegedly become 'depressed' after his family's crimes were uncovered, and struggled to find employment after the collapse of his father's Ponzi scheme, having never worked a proper job in his life.

His CV contained vague, meaningless titles like 'licensed broker', and his entire career had been devoted to the Madoff corporation. Since nobody in the finance industry wanted to hire an unqualified felon from a notorious crime family, Mark took the easy way out and hanged himself with dog leash, leaving behind a wife and child.

Sam Baum's version of the story is a softball puff piece, intended to wash away the stench of illegality and rehabilitate the Madoff crime family as much as possible.

De Niro portrays Bernard sympathetically, as a good man—well-intentioned, but a little dreamy—who simply got carried away with his own success.

A gag-inducing scene shows Madoff's wife reduced to tears when she discovers that her celebrity hairdresser won't serve her anymore because the Madoffs are now known to be criminals. Such are the terrible First World problems of the super-rich. How they must have suffered! :rolleyes:

The two sons are played as loveable idiots who had no idea what their father was doing with everyone's money, despite being privy to the inner workings of his corporation. Their deaths are accompanied by buckets of crocodile tears that left me cold.

I rate The Wizard of Lies at 9.99 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a pathetic 3/10 on IMDB.

Stocks can go down as well as up, or in this particular case, not even exist in the first place.

Goes to show how utterly farcical the monetary market is if you can casually hide a $65billion loss....

oh I like the film, probs 5-6/10

Back
Top Bottom