What film did you watch last night?

IP Man (2008)
I've had the trilogy in my collection for ages and have only just gotten around to watching it. What an exciting film! The story is gritty, showing us what happened in Foshan when the Japanese invaded South china during 1935. IP Man having no students ends up fighting kung fu masters from the Japanese army in order to protect his family and home town. I hugely enjoyed this and Donnie Yen is fantastic as the disciplined martial artist who just wants to care for his family - however he can't run away from what he is - a Wing Chun legend who went on to teach the greatest in the world.

9/10

Seriously, 10 -10, I have yet to watch a perfect film, pulp fiction for me comes damn close. But the annoying French woman takes it down to a 9.9 and that's my fave film of all time.

I know it's a personal rating but I'm baffled non the less
ROFL - yeah that woman annoys me big style too!! Great film otherwise!

Suicide Squad. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but somewhat disjointed, and ended up being the "Harley Quinn Flashback Movie". A bit of humour, good effects, annoying plot-holes, and a ridiculous story where the person threatening the world was one of their own who goes AWOL straight away. Couldn't see that coming :rolleyes:

I think the real problem with this film is that there are too many characters to focus on (hence it's really all about Harley Quinn and Deadshot, with a bit of Joker) and the hype left people expecting something the quality of Avengers, but with bad guys. This simply didn't have the style, humour, or personalities to carry an ensemble film the same way that the Avengers did. It's just a really lop-sided and unbalanced film that feels a bit average when it could have been a lot more.

Pimp Joker ruined it for me.

I was okay with that given we've seen so many iterations of the Joker, and even more if you've read any of the comics. I think they missed an opportunity to really get into the Joker/Harley Quinn dynamic where he's psychotically abusive, and she's suffering from extreme Stockholm syndrome. There was a chance to explore how he seduces her to madness while she thinks she's saving him, but as usual DC misses the target. There's just no time to do anything interesting with the characters in a film with so many other characters to cover, and the usual "save the world" story to get through.

Back
Top Bottom